Forums > Videos > updated 8-11 faith fireless

Login/Join to Participate

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
while i am not great, i am not usually this bad, please be gentle

everyone else is doing it-

leave me alone i don't know how to edit with this software and it's too late tonight to figure it out

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1427644699

EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1187030804)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
faith - you are soooooo defensive sometimes its painful.

have some of these and chill:

hug hug hug

it did look cold though!

and editing is overated anyway wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,556 posts

Posted:
thank you

for the hugs, and i just try and be up front about it and that way you all know

but come on the planes are censored

ubblolbounceubblol

nudge: i see you seventy sum people, a comment here or there would be nice
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1163656026)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

3,556 posts

Posted:
wohoo 320 of you

Faith

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
322 now.

Ok..since you've already identified "the faults" I won't belabour them, or complain about not enough light, but I will offer a few suggestions.

It looks like your spinning is a little,,,ok a lot, on the tentative side..meaning it doesn't look like you knew what you were doing or trying to fake that you knew what you were doing. Here's the problem as I see it.. The tails.

I know you like 'em, and why you like 'em, but one thing about them that's obvious from that video is your not putting enough ooooooomph into spinning them. Tailed poi tend to slow down faster than non-tailed and quite often need more force put into them to overcome wind resistance, and the beneficial effects of gravity are also diminished by the resistance too...meaning you might need to accelerate the poi even when they're on the downswing.

You may want to experiment with the keeping the circles flat to the audience/camera idea. sometimes when you turned at an angle to the camera, I felt like I was sitting in the "cheap seats" , not front row center like I want to be.

Work a little more on flow,,so we see a whole dance/performance, rather than what looks like a collection of moves with some flailing thrown in between them. I'm not talking about the screw ups here, those are fine for a one shot, this is me spinning style of video, but more along the lines of not making it so obvious that you're thinking about what the next move is going to be.

Hope that wasn't tooooooooooooo critical.
smile hug hug hug

3,556 posts

Posted:
thank you wink
(my dad was telling me not to move, it made things a little difficult)
you're right, i am tenative-not just with poi, in general, actually lost bfs over my tenativeness...so good point. i must find poi confidence

Faith

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Faith you look just fine,appear to be working through the learning stages...

I agree with Stout, just work with the flow aspect, have fun while you are doing it... If you can, make it feel more like dance then a series of moves. Sometimes the right piece of music just takes you into the flow and lets you move more freely, add some character to the movement etc.

I dont know how you manage anything at all with tails, that is impressive! I am just a mess of tangles when I try to use them.

Mostly, the vid lit up when you smile at yourself...

Enjoy!
hug hug ubbrollsmile

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

3,556 posts

Posted:
thank you

bad day-that helps bounce

hmmm maybe it's time to add a new vid, now that there is more warmth

Faith

3,556 posts

Posted:
https://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=15541894

It looks like it is up, here is another address for the same video

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=15541894
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1186846632)

Faith

3,556 posts

Posted:
my mom liked it and my brother said "it's not bad"-which is high praise from a teenager-so I feel decent about it

just looking for a few comments

planes I think, I still need to work on those
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1187031803)

Faith

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well I'm glad this thread is no longer called "my crappy video" because that title no longer applies. It's not a great video, but it's a thousand percent improvement on your first one.

I'm still seeing that tentativeness that I saw in the first video but to a far lesser degree and I think your right it stems from plane control issues. I find that spinning while standing in the middle of a sidewalk and using the straight lines that make up either edge of the sidewalk as reference points helps with flat planes. It's a variation on the spinning in a hallway idea but with none of those pesky ceilings to interfere with long arm stuff.

So you've got enough moves and if you keep spinning those moves, you'll find yourself discovering little interesting variations within those moves but I'd spend most of my time and effort concentrating on flow....it just takes time and practice, that's all.

You'll do fine when it's time to light your new poi on fire. Just think planes with a goal of not hitting yourself..and I guarantee, that one minute into your first burn, you'll be wondering why you thought this whole fire thing was so scary in the first place and you'll be literally running back to your fuel bucket to soak up and do it again, and again and again...

You may want to try "loosening up" a little...go with the moment and really try to get into your practice session, maybe you do when there's no video camera around ( as these things tend to make people tense up a little ) Or try not thinking of it as a practice session but more of a session of going outside and doing poi.

Cheers

3,556 posts

Posted:
thanks, I've been waiting for my burning friend to get free but no luck so far...
loosening up. lol. when I was horsebackriding, my instructor would tell me the same thing. Then at a bbq before a lesson, she gave me one wine cooler. Said it was my best lesson biggrin
When I go to the laundromat I try to spin against the building walls when no one is looking-it just looks odd when people see you doing that.
flow comes with music for me and I didn't have a way to get music and spin outside which is the only place my parents let me spin

so those are my excuses
Thanks for being my first (and only)comment stout smile

Faith