Page:
oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
right, im not in these videos, made before my time and all that, featuring some familier bristol types, thats about it i think smile

link when you get there click on media rolleyes

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
that took a while didn't it? ubblol swet vids, haven't seen them for ages so had forgotten how good they were! ubblove liking the new website too... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
time to make some new ones then? biggrin

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by: duballstar

that took a while didn't it?

what d'ya mean... one of them's only a year and a half old... i can't help but feel that the good old fashioned virtue of patience is being lost in this newfangled digital age... grumble grumble...

Written by: elasta

time to make some new ones then?

errr... maybe. but then maybe not.

wink

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
does it worry anyone else, that despite performing with us for over a year Oli still cant spell Chimaera...

smile

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

bluengoldfireBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Terrific videos and pics, you Brits are great!

ND '10 GO IRISH!!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
whyd you choose the hardest word in the world to spell ever then? cant expect people like me to get that right. ive changed it now though smile maybe we should just go with ghost shark, its easier to spell. and i saw one on blue planet the other day too.
umm :P

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ubblol oli, you're funny

like the videos, but helpful website suggestion, get that first vid off of myspace, because you get myspace related links at the end and it takes you away from your site and onto someone else's considerably shittier video... smile

it's kind of funny for me to see the website though because i've only met you non-chimaera-ed up, but the costumes look fab biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
WE'RE NOT NAMED AFTER A FISH!! ok, ghost shark does sound pretty cool, but it's got sh*t all to do with fire spinning... whereas the kickass fire-breathing (which we do not condone! ubblol) mythical beast chimaera... er... kicks ass. yes.

thanks for the pointer NOn, we don't want to be connected with the other myspace bumf hey?!

hug
Lx

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dream

does it worry anyone else, that despite performing with us for over a year Oli still cant spell Chimaera...

smile

True
After the fireworks gig this guy came up to Oli:-

impressed stranger "That was amazing"
Oli "yeah" (+nervous laugh/giggle)
stranger "So are you guys like a group or something"
Oli "Yeah"
stranger (trying to get somewhere) "Do you have a name?"
Oli "we're Chimaera"
stranger "how do you spell that"
Oli "C....H...I...M.....actually I can't remember" (+nervous laugh/giggle)

Story repeated with apologies to Oli.

The boy g has full confidence in Oli as a consummate proffessional and ambassador of Chimaera.

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: the boy g

The boy g has full confidence in Oli as a consummate proffessional and ambassador of Chimaera.

Im glad someone does wink

"Don't do it naked!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nice, good costume, nice to see si looking like the bondage dwarf i know and love.. ubblove

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:

WE'RE NOT NAMED AFTER A FISH!! ok, ghost shark does sound pretty cool, but it's got sh*t all to do with fire spinning... whereas the kickass fire-breathing (which we do not condone! ) mythical beast chimaera... er... kicks ass. yes.

Chimaera = ghost shark

Chimera = mythical beast

So yes... We most certainly are named after a fish. And this time its either Tim or you who can't spell and landed us with a comedy name...

Taking amateur to a whole new level...

F*cking Hippies

spank

Written by: Nx?

good costume, nice to see si looking like the bondage dwarf i know and love..

is the reason why i didn't put the video up for over a year... I refused to perform in that, it made me look like a cross between german s&m merchant, a wannabe x-men supervillain, and a 1980's midget wrestler... eek frown frown

...the mental scars had almost healed...

F*cking hippies (who say they can make costumes... don't believe their lies)

spank angry spank censored

Nietzsche

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

hug2

Hope you're well Sy...

kiss

Getting to the other side smile

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dream

Chimaera = ghost shark

Chimera = mythical beast

So yes... We most certainly are named after a fish. And this time its either Tim or you who can't spell and landed us with a comedy name...

Taking amateur to a whole new level...

dude, there are loads of spellings for the mythical creature, how many sources have YOU checked?! It is the latin spelling of the myth. And you know how we all love latin wink
Lx

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It's also the name of a tank in Warhammer...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Chimaera is a valid spelling of the mythical beast
but is also a "ghost shark". Chimera is unambiguously a mythical beast.

Unless possibly you're playing warhammer wink

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:

It is the latin spelling of the myth. And you know how we all love latin

err... the latin spelling is chimÆra.

Written by: OED

The symbol æ, which thus disappeared from the language in 13th c., was re-introduced in 16th c. in forms derived from Latin words with æ, and (this being the Latin symbolization of Greek {alpha}{iota}) Greek words in {alpha}{iota}; as ædify, æther. But this æ had only an etymological value, and whenever a word became thoroughly English, the æ or ae was changed into simple e as edify, ether.

so the english spelling of chimÆra is chimera.

fishgirl
hug

Nietzsche

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

You just have to be right tongue

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
just for clare

wink eek

Nietzsche

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
spank

That video freaks me out for soooo many reasons...

smile
tongue

xx

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
hey, i saw you guys (or at least some of you...i didn't spot oli) on 'BLAST' the other night. i was suffering from acute insomnia due to the night before's activities, so was up really late and watched the whole damn programme. i'm glad i did now, having seen you guys do your thing. how long ago was that filmed?

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
about 3-4 weeks ago i think smile

Si - that video is dam shocking........ ouch and wow at the same time..... its a lesson for us all that cartwheels need good planes too wink

ubblol

hug

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

It was probably all the makeup making him lose balance...

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
ubblol ah man, that video makes me flinch even now dude! eek

right, now for some more pedantry...
yes, the classical latin ae grapheme is generally now just written as e, however in some cases the grapheme is still used to portray an historic source or archaic impression. We are perfectly entitled to interpret the ancient spellings of the myth to create our own impression... or just to confuse lots of people and never get it spelt right, was that our aim really?! wink

The OED is a reflection of practiced modern English, and not a prescriptive rule. Dictionary entries are based on our own usage of language, thus if we continue with our interpretation of the archaic spelling, it will eventually be used enough that the next revised entry will include "Chimaera" as a world renowned fire-spinning troupe! ubblol hahaha

Interestingly, in the Collins English dictionary both spellings are cited with the first entry as the mythical beast. Which just further shows that between them, the various dictionaries of the English language cannot provide a norm. Thus, a dictionary is never the paragon of "correct" language, which they are so often assumed to be, though they are very useful guidelines to ease mutual comprehension. smile

ubbrollsmile
Lx

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
in a side note: maybe it should be noted that Latin is still used in English today: for example the term 'habeas corpus' is used in the legal profession, I believe Q.E.D (quod erat demonstrandum = that which has been shown to be true) is still used in the scientific community, numerous plant names are given in Latin, so the use of Latin by the fire-spinning community seems like a reasonable proposal.

The question is, if a kick-ass firebreathing mythical beast appeared in front of you, would you really stop to say, 'excuse me, is that chimaera with an a or chimera?'

Si; Ouch!!! eek hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lazyangel

The question is, if a kick-ass Fire Breathing mythical beast appeared in front of you, would you really stop to say, 'excuse me, is that chimaera with an a or chimera?'

surely a mythical beast of any sort appearing anywhere's a blatant oxymoron?

Written by: Elasta

Interestingly, in the Collins English dictionary both spellings are cited with the first entry as the mythical beast. Which just further shows that between them, the various dictionaries of the English language cannot provide a norm. Thus, a dictionary is never the paragon of "correct" language, which they are so often assumed to be

The OED is the standard dictionary reference for english authored academic work. It is considered to accurately reflect the current (and historical) appropriations of the words contained within. The Collins dictionary, along with any other junior, picture, condensed or otherwise inferior work isn't.

If you're saying that you deliberately chose to spell the word in Latin so that people couldn't spell it properly... spank

If it's a case of you looked in a crap dictionary and resultantly got a dodgy definition... spank

and if you mean to say that you deliberately went for a non standard spelling in the hope of getting a lameass fire troupe with a fish's name into the dictionary... spank

damn hippies...

Nietzsche

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Languages should be fexible dude, we're part of the growing youth movement that spell firey lions "chimaera"

now go hug a tree Sy you know how that clams you down wink

p.s. it's Laura's fault

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*bump*

I just remembered how awesome this video is biggrin

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Page: