PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So, I am going to be in a documentary about paranormal investigations.

I was asked about it about a month ago and after talks, research and a meeting, I've decided to go ahead with it.

The last documentary I was in as a feature, Keepers of Light..about fire breathing, well, I know it had showings in Texas and So Cal, and then I've heard nothing from the producer which made me pretty upset.
It took two weeks of alot of work and compromise so it was disruptive to say the least and for not even communique in return.

The first documentary style thing I was in, I was not featured at all. I was interviewed about a friend learning to sword swallow, so no biggie.

At least these guys will be local so I can track them down.
smile

Maybe third time is a charm?

Wish me luck!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
good lunch! biggrin

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
why's this in social discussion?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Because Jo, it's something I want do discuss.
I don't want a chat about it.
It's not a "hip-hooray, look what I'm doing",
I'm actually concerned about being burnt a third time.

Oh, and if anyone has seen "Keepers of Light" could you please let me know?

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
OK, what do you want to discuss about it? smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the nature of 'luck' maybe...? wink

do you have a contract this time pele?

if you're worried about what happens afterwards, can you not get clauses added to ensure that you at least are informed when and where the programme is broadcast?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
jah, they paying you no?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I'm going to agree on Coleman on this one. If you don't want to get burnt or forgotten when it comes to end production, you really need to put stipulations in contract of such desires and stay on top of the documentary producers!!!

Be assertive, but not aggressive. Make sure they know your concerns in advance.

G'luck!

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Good luck to you, Lady!!!

We have a meetup group for paranormal investigations in the area and I have thought about going...so many other things seem to come up and I haven't made it yet.

Do let us know how it goes and when and where we might be able to see it.

I wish you all the best!!! I say the third time has gotta be the charm!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so whats the doco actually on? I always thought paranormal ment stuff that couldnt be scientifically explained like bigfoot, ufos, paris hilton, ghosts, etc?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ben...Paris Hilton! lol
It's about looking for/at case of claims of the paranormal. How our group goes about researching, investigating and debunking.

Fyrespirit, we have one of those too...a meetup. They're pretty ummm...not normal in the head people that I have met.
One, in fact, only shows up to try to sell "dowsing rods" and "pendulums". He's all skeevy and reminds me of the guy who opens a trench coat to try to sell watches kind of thing.
I hope the meet-up in your area is better! wink

Most documentaries you don't get paid for Nx?. Part of the whole independent documentary thing is that there is no financial backing to it. They are all out of pocket. The one that did pay me, the first one, was the worst to work for. So I said I wouldn't do a sponsored one ever again. They do, however, have to pay any travel expenses.

Cole, the second one (the one I never heard from other than that there were showings out of the area) was by legal contract...but when you can't even find the person, it's hard to follow through.
Documentaries are a completely different beast than the normal performances that we do. So while I have had approval rights in the past, when they don't live in the area and if they move without leaving forwarding info....well....
It left myself and the lawyer unsure of what to do. Mainly because I don't have the funds to invest into a PI and such. And really, is it so important?

At least this crew is local.

I forgot that I spent time filming on one that ended up never following through on production as well. However that was because the guy putting it together was trying to trust in the honesty of Carnies, and several (not me) lied to him...so he became completely disenchanted. Which is too bad as it started so amazingly. So this would be my 4th, technically.

Perhaps I am the curse on these? lol

Pele

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
ubblolAll kinds of wonky people in this world!!! ubblol

I usually go to the Tarot and Pagan Meetup groups so that's about enough for the time being. Some strange birds in those, too but the one's who are genuine more than make up for it!
I've made some good friends.

peace be with you!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

so whats the doco actually on? I always thought paranormal ment stuff that couldnt be scientifically explained like bigfoot, ufos, paris hilton, ghosts, etc?

Explanation: Paris hilton is the offspring of the ufos. Duh.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I'm actually concerned about being burnt a third time.

being burnt as in through firebreathing or being burnt as in not getting to see the doco?

It's about looking for/at case of claims of the paranormal. How our group goes about researching, investigating and debunking.

so your part of a paranormal investigations group? or its about how your performance group goes about debunking things like u can firebreath with custard powder?

Written by: PsyRush

Explanation: Paris hilton is the offspring of the ufos. Duh.

you would think any life form that can travel across the galaxy would be be somewhat intelligent .... oh i get it so earth is kind of like a "special planet" for the not so gifted aliens

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
'Kay, couple of things I need to clear up.

I'm not part of a performance troupe. I own a few dance groups, but in my company I, and my assistants, are hired to put together events. I hire in performers to work under me when I need to but don't have a steady crew like a circus would. I like keeping things fluid like that. wink

I have also worked with/as a paranormal investigator for years, as a "next step" kind of thing with a childhood fascination in it vs. illusion, etc. I head up a team of us. We hold once a month, open to the public ghost hunts in a local castle, teach "ghost hunting 101" as well as a few other events within that scope, in addition to going on investigations into peoples homes to tell them they are sane. We are also doing some experiments with remote viewing of our own (mainly because I don't buy it).

Custard powder and such isn't paranormal. It's myth wink

Burnt as in, being screwed over when it comes time to collect. Not burned as in physically.

Perhaps we're a dumping ground for failed alien experiments?
Or are you saying we're essentially the short bus for the "dee-dee-dees" of the alien civilizations?
Either way, I believe it. ubblol

Fyrespirit, my area has really nasty little "witch wars" so I stay far away from those meet-ups. FAR away. I like being thought of a Switzerland and they all come to my events to play that way! biggrin

Pele

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
So because this it half a help thread and half a chat thread, it goes in the middle: Discussion?

I'm still not sure what to discuss about. I've been in about 5 documentaries over the last 8 years or so, and out of them I've found that they almost never do what they say they will do. But that can work both ways: I got paid £100 for a very small speaking part (like 2 words or something) thay they never used, and it only took me about an hour in total. I've also been up at 6 in the morning on a river in winter, rowing rowing someone up and down, and I got paid nothing in the end because of some stupid mix up.

After all that, I really don't care about seeing myself - I have a mirror for that. Just focus on getting paid as much as you can and working as little as you can, otherwise they will screw you over.

Was that on topic? I have no idea.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

Please do a search.

Point.

wink

ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
However, we are not discussing paranormal in terms of defining it. Now are we? It is a completely different topic, in which, in fact, the main part of it is not even paranormal. I put "paranormal" in the title to be specific and so that it would be clear this is not a fire documentary.

Perhaps, NYC, you should actually READ a thread before you attempt to "play" moderator.

Or at least, leave it to us "big kids" to know our jobs.;)

Point retracted tongue
EDITED_BY: Pele (1163356791)

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

So because this it half a help thread and half a chat thread, it goes in the middle: Discussion?

I'm still not sure what to discuss about. I've been in about 5 documentaries over the last 8 years or so, and out of them I've found that they almost never do what they say they will do. But that can work both ways: I got paid £100 for a very small speaking part (like 2 words or something) thay they never used, and it only took me about an hour in total. I've also been up at 6 in the morning on a river in winter, rowing rowing someone up and down, and I got paid nothing in the end because of some stupid mix up.

After all that, I really don't care about seeing myself - I have a mirror for that. Just focus on getting paid as much as you can and working as little as you can, otherwise they will screw you over.

Was that on topic? I have no idea.

Actually, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Sym.

[next statement: OT mini rant as it applies to this thread, not one person in particular]

I think the fact that so many people are attempting to criticize me here, (why...because I'm a mod and they want to "prove me wrong"?) is quite frankly, annoying.

I put it exactly where I wanted it because I wanted feedback, experiences, thoughts, etc.

I am really glad some people have grasped that whilst others, instead of contributing, seem content to not add anything but snide or quippy remarks, believing that this is chat. I put up a thread about being in documentaries, about how they seem to rarely follow through and how this new one I really want to pan out. I did not ask for sarcasm or for someone to tell me how to do my job.

Yes, after the several posts in this thread about how "I posted it in the wrong section" I am irritated, and quite honestly, now know how newbies feel. It is rude for so many to state it when it has already been done and addressed. Perhaps I intro'd this incorrectly, however, in subsequent posts I corrected it but because people are not sure how to discuss this please do not assume it doesn't belong here. [end rant]

I think what you have said Sym is extremely relevant. Thank you.

While I really value your input and your post, for myself personally I don't agree with the "get paid to work as little as you can". I am not like that at all. If it is a project I believe in, I will work hard for little to no money just for the fun of it. If it is something that is "eh, whatever" then pay kicks up the motivation, sure.

It's not the end all beat all. I find the sentiment to be, well, not me at all.

I just heard back from the "Keepers of the Flame" producer. It's been over a year and she hasn't even remotely finished it yet because she did two other docu's on a whim. She will be (finally) sending back the material. Eventually I will get a dvd of it.

It's not about seeing "me",because like you said, I can see me in a mirror, it's about seeing how I've been represented, you know?

I just don't want to feel like I've wasted my time.

So, what is the normal turn around Sym? I've seen documentaries get finished in less than 6 months, and obviously some that well, don't.

Of the ones you've been in, how long was the turn around from filming to completion?... and what were they for? Any you care to share with the class so we may look them up for our own viewing pleasure? wink
EDITED_BY: Pele (1163356664)

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
To be totally honest Pele, I don't think people are criticizing you because you're "a mod and they want to prove you wrong".
I think people are just confused as to what on earth we're meant to be discussing?
About being in documentaries and getting screwed over? is that the topic?
It all seems very vague to me.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

I think the fact that so many people are attempting to criticize me here, (why...because I'm a mod and they want to "prove me wrong"?) is quite frankly, annoying.
[end rant]

ubblol

Yes, you're the only one to ever start a thread and have people immidiately try to prove her wrong.

wink

If the mods are going to ask for special treatment (like requiring people not to try to 'prove them wrong' and requiring people to only discuss what they want to discuss) then maybe there should be a special mod forum where the rest of us can't post.

I'm sorry you were treated EXACTLY like everyone else on this site for a second. We won't let it happen again.

rolleyes

kiss

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hence, NYC, why I said it is rude to do to *anyone*. This is not CHAT, you are treating it as such and right now, I feel you are being rude. You have yet to add anything on topic to something that is very serious to me. You even put up a completely irrelevant search. I am ticked. Questioning the placement had been done and addressed. It didn't need to be done by more than one person and that is ALWAYS my beef when people step in on here, that very often people feel they need to *each* say it, rather than one person. One more time...read the whole thread before posting up a search (your link wasn't relevant), and if you are going to quote, at least quote the entire rant. And by all means, add to the freakin' topic at hand or post in another thread where you can. I wasn't joking when I put this up, and I am still not (and like so many times before I know "Woah, that's harsh Pele. I was just joking around."

And I feel it's gone too far and don't care at this point.)

And like I said, Jo...I cleared all that up in a later post and took credit for not clarifying in the first post. I'M SORRY. Many people actually did find a way to discuss the topic at hand and I am extremely appreciative of that.

Now that I am very frustrated, I am actually wanting, as the thread starter an end to this OT and back on topic...which is, being in and/or making (independent) documentaries. Information share about the end result, the process time, how it differs from other forms of performing, etc.

I was thinking earlier, anyone here ever made a documentary or short? I'd love to hear thoughts from that side of the camera.

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ok.

Well no need to get frustrated Pele. I don't think anyone meant to be rude.
And as I am no TV star I will bid you adieu x

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:

While I really value your input and your post, for myself personally I don't agree with the "get paid to work as little as you can". I am not like that at all. If it is a project I believe in, I will work hard for little to no money just for the fun of it. If it is something that is "eh, whatever" then pay kicks up the motivation, sure.
It's not the end all beat all. I find the sentiment to be, well, not me at all.

I hope that anyone who knows me will agree that I am not normally about money and getting paid for as little work as possible (at a guess, 70% of my day to day work at the moment is on projects that I care about, and I'm not getting paid for), however I have found that film crews seem to _always_ work on a lot budget, they will ask you for everything and give nothing at all in return, and they can be very, very 2 faced. (disclaimer I know, I know, not everyone is like that - it's just what I've found in the past)

With anyone in TV, my advice is that you write down EXACTLY what they want you to do, and what you want from them. Set out time lines, because they will always waste your time by trying to get the perfect shot. If they know they have all day, they will use it all up, when you are getting paid by the scene, not the hour. Directors always want a better shot. I know it's not easy to get a good shot at times, so it's not like they are making a fuss over nothing, but they tend to be perfectionists.

It's not about seeing "me",because like you said, I can see me in a mirror, it's about seeing how I've been represented, you know?

It is always interesting to see what they have done, I guess.

So, what is the normal turn around Sym? I've seen documentaries get finished in less than 6 months, and obviously some that well, don't.

Of the ones you've been in, how long was the turn around from filming to completion?

I'm not in a position to really know what 'normal' is - I think that everything I've been is has come out with in 6 months or so, but I've never really watched TV much, and a lot of them have been on Sky so I've not been able to see them.

also, I've not been in the whole thing, on any of them. I've only done 1 or 2 days work, about half way though the filming.

... and what were they for? Any you care to share with the class so we may look them up for our own viewing pleasure? wink

ubblol well, mostly I'll be dressed up as a Tudor. I was in this but I can't find it on youtube or the like. There are more, but I really can't remember the names of them... rolleyes

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
None of the ones I've been in are for tv, and the producers are the ones funding it, doing the filming, etc. There is no crew.

The team (there are 4) that I am working with now all work day jobs and are doing this on the side, from their own pockets. They do these for small release to movie theaters (like the small artsy ones) and trade shows (this will prolly do showings at paracons, for example). They enter film competitions with them and also release them on DVD.

The last one was a young girl whose parents were funding it.

I think we might be thinking of two different but similar things?

Tudor huh? Didja get to wear tights? *now humming the Men in Tights song* lol

Pele

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Pele, if your complaint is “I've heard nothing from the producer which made me pretty upset.” Then perhaps you need to be a bit more proactive in your communication with the producers, instead of waiting for things to happen.

Hope that helps smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stone

Pele, if your complaint is “I've heard nothing from the producer which made me pretty upset.” Then perhaps you need to be a bit more proactive in your communication with the producers, instead of waiting for things to happen.

Hope that helps smile

An email a week, every week for a year before I heard back.
She changed phone numbers when she moved states.
The only other thing I could have done, every day emails and that's too much methinks.

I absolutely don't sit and wait.
I'm waaaaaaay too impatient for that. wink

Pele

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:

I think we might be thinking of two different but similar things?

Tudor huh? Didja get to wear tights? *now humming the Men in Tights song* lol

Yes, I'm talking about Discovery and other large businesses. I guess I'll count myself out then - I still have no idea what I need to discuss, but whatever it is, I think I've got to the end of it.

I don't want to be labelled as someone making a snide remark, but this really does seem more like a help thread, seeing as I still don't think anyone knows how they can discuss it. Anyway, I've done my best!

And, yes, I did wear tights wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Pele, fair enough I should have known you “absolutely don't sit and wait”. In that case, I would suggest the only solution would be go and see the producer, and ask them face to face. Anything less is just speculation.

cheers : )

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh