BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I've seen several threads about fire gloves for catching poi heads or for putting out fire toys, but i was interested in pure performance gloves.
Instead of having 'flame hands' i was leaning more towards a clawed glove design ala Wolverine from X-Men. Essentially I would have fire fingers stitched or bound to the webbings of the glove but I was wondering which would be the best material for gloves.
My first choice was leather but I recently found another type of material called Nomex which is standard military issue and supposed to be fire resistant. Does anyone know much about Nomex and/or are there equivalent or better alternatives to glove material composition?

Am quite eager to combine fire with almost-pure hand martial arts movements biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

MordfabrikSILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
I'm not entirely understanding the design of the gloves you want to end up with in the end, but will the fire be in direct contact with the gloves for prolonged periods of time?

I've had a pair of those nomex gloves before, and dont find them to be terribly dextrous, although you can get thinner versions. The real issue is in determining whether you're worried about setting the glove on fire or not. No material short of a pair of extraction gloves is going to afford you prolonged exposure simply due to heat transfer.

Finding a pair of well fit smithing gloves from a farmers market is the best thing I can think of - There are some from the Hutterites here which have a great fit and offer nearly as much heat protection as heavy welding gloves, and wont ignite long before your hand has exceeded its own heat tolerance.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
ah what u want is fire fingers i think there called they will give u a deathstrike look with the flame at the end of the finge

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MikefromGlos

ah what u want is fire fingers i think there called they will give u a deathstrike look with the flame at the end of the finge

Pretty much, but instead of winding ten fire fingers on for each performance, I was thinking of combining the fire finger concept with the glove, so its just a matter of slipping two articles on and off (two gloves), and not ten articles (ten fingers) smile

I remember seeing something similar on one of the Circle of Light DVD's....2004 or 2005 i think,can't remember which one ^^

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
fire fans maybe?

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: the_mods_stole_my_name

fire fans maybe?

No, they weren't fire fans that I saw in the COL smile I'll have to go through my DVD's after my exam tomorrow and will report back! biggrin

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
good good lol.... Sorry going to be a bit random now i might go australia for my gap year

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MikefromGlos

good good lol.... Sorry going to be a bit random now i might go australia for my gap year

Nice choice smile Make sure to visit Melbourne if you do. Plenty of us nice folk down here who are always hapyp to meet fellow HOPpers smile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
lol Will have to vist u lol....

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Leather gloves the best one you can get would be probally at a you beaut safety shop .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Aah! Found pretty much what I had in mind!

https://fire-gear.com/prodpix/gauntlet1.jpeg

EDITED_BY: Brenn (1163548714)

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ooo, they look nice brenn, i look forward to having a play when you get em tongue

actually, i might be able to whack up a pair out of modified fire eating torches

talk to you about it when i see you next smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, my mind seems to be running wild with this.

if i can find a glove in the next few days, i might give it a go smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*