Forums > Social Discussion > Putting the QLD CANE TOAD buffo marinus in ones mouth

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Last Monday I placed a deadly poisonous Queensland cane toad (Buffo marinus) in my mouth for a dare at work, a trick that is extreamly effective at horrifying a bunch of middle aged mothers. I checked the poison sacks were not leaking first, of coarse, and have seen this trick performed many times before . I suffered no ill effects and did not taste any suplimentary toxins of the type usually shed by the green tree frog when handled or distressed.

While I dont normally perform this stunt on account of it being likely to distress the toad, I would like to perform a simmilar trick of placing my toungue on the toads back ,out of its visual field so as to cause minimal distress to the toad, or alternatively use a cold unconcious toad from the fridge. This image would be great for all mannor of t shirts against smoking, eating macdonalds, voting for John Howard, etc. something along the lines I'd rather put a toad in my mouth than do that.

Does anyone know if this creature is capable of secreating any suplementary toxins or irritants in adition to the primary toxin in its main poison sacks, in the way many other frogs can, and if so if these secreations are tasteable or not.

Also has anyone observed first hand a non injured toad eject its primary poison sack contents without having to be squeezed like a pimple or otherwise roughly handled. I personally have never observed this spontanious spitting cobra style act and suspect it is a myth, but none the less I would welcome any warnings from anyone who has seen it themselves or from a very credible source.

If so I think I will just stick to stroking spiders backs and getting huntsman spiders to run up my arm.

By the way, people are now calling me Adrian the Insane, do you think I should amalgamate all my user names into that one,or keep different ones for different forums?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
umm..congratulations? umm shrug

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Wow! rolleyes umm umm

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Well, given anecdotal evidence of Shamans 'toad-licking' to induce visions, i reckon it's quite possible that whatever toxins are in the poison sacs will be secreted from them without them having to "burst" or similar.

There's actually been a paper published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology which is all about licking cane toads! - "Bufo alvarius: a potent hallucinogen of animal origin."

But i could only find references to it on t'internet, not the paper itself.

erm, if you're gonna do it, make sure there's someone to take you to hospital just in case, ok? Driving will probably be quite tricky if you're paralysed and hallucinating.

and Adrian the Insane is a much better name than the Magnesium Master smile
EDITED_BY: simian (1163074868)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The nice thing about the internet is you get to meet people who's life is so very different than your own.

I don't think I've done a 'dare' since I was in 4th grade and I don't think I've picked up a frog since before then.

Good luck with that though. shrug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
You're a worry Adrian.. ubblol ubblol ubblol

and as a footnote..

Written by: The_Magnesium_Master

I would like to perform a simmilar trick of placing my toungue on the toads back ,out of its visual field so as to cause minimal distress to the toad

Just empathising with the toad for a second, but Adrian- if your tongue was on my back, whether I could see you or not I'd still be in distress. ubblol

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I remember a story ( from about 15 years ago ) that had old folks in Australian retirement homes keeping these things as pets. The home staff thought this rather odd, until surveillance revealed that the residents were licking these things for giggles and grins. Urban myth ?

Our local pet store claims they lost count of how many inquiries they got wondering "just how can I get one of these toads" ? true story, I was one of the inquirers biggrin

The Simpsons had an episode with cane toads in it.

I'd go for Adrien the eccentric myself,,,if you're going to go for mental instability, it's better to present the illusion of wealth and power wink

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Dude, why don't you just go ahead and gobble up on some beladonna and finish yourself up!!! eek biggrin

Seriously...didn't your mother ever teach you not to put strange things in your mouth.....you don't know where they've been.... wink ubblol

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
jimson weed jimson weed

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
confused... ummmmmm is this anything like licking a certain type of frog and tripping out due to the toxins???? cool

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I have a friend who used to teach biology in one the Sydney universities, they dissect cane toads there. One day she was taking her class when one of the blokes at the back collapsed to the floor, fitting and foaming at the mouth, turned out he'd eaten the gonads of the toad to try and get a high, he spent three days in a coma.

She had to start the classes with "Do not touch the cane toad, do not lick the cane toad, do not eat the cane toad." Just to make it clear.

I've handled the godawful things without any harm, never seen them emit the toxin without having to give them a good squeeze, run them over plenty with the lawn mower and haven't seen them squirt it out.

Every year we do a cane toad round-up in the local botanic gardens, we got 7000 of them last year in one night, we ran out of freezer space in the end (you euthanise them by freezing them).

They're poisonous invaders that are decimating the local wildlife, if anyone doesn't know, though apparently crows have figured out if they flip them over they can get at the non-toxic underside and have a feed. Good riddence.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

awakenSILVER Member
The Evil Pixie (apparently)
716 posts

Posted:
Adrian.. what can I say. You're a ...... classic shrug You certainly keep Juggle Jam interesting though. Missed you this week!

ubblol

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Ry: I can't hear you. I'm listening to The Spice Girls.

The FadeSILVER Member
fading happily....
212 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

Well, given anecdotal evidence of Shamans 'toad-licking' to induce visions, i reckon it's quite possible that whatever toxins are in the poison sacs will be secreted from them without them having to "burst" or similar.

There's actually been a paper published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology which is all about licking cane toads! - "Bufo alvarius: a potent hallucinogen of animal origin."

But i could only find references to it on t'internet, not the paper itself.

erm, if you're gonna do it, make sure there's someone to take you to hospital just in case, ok? Driving will probably be quite tricky if you're paralysed and hallucinating.

and Adrian the Insane is a much better name than the Magnesium Master smile

just incase anyone is mental enough to do this id just like to point out that Bufo Alvarius (or the Sonoran Desert Toad that all the toad licking stories come from) is NOT the same thing as the Bufo Marinus (Qld Cane Toad). Bufo Alvarius venom contains a powerful hallucinogen called 5-MeO-DMT as well as the poison bufotenin. Bufo Marinus venom ONLY CONTAINS BUFOTENIN.

while there is a little evidence that bufotenin is also psychoactive, tho much weaker than 5-MeO-DMT, there is also a whole heap of evidence that its a horribe horrible thing to do to your body. comas, seizures, fun things like that smile

something i found while doing a lil research on this:
J's quote on smoking bufotenin, "I'ld rather smoke paint stripper".

sorry to sound so serious lol, and i doubt anyone would be stupid enough to try this. but then til now i doubted anyone would be stupid enough to put a cane toad in their mouth lol. no offense adrian.

*shakes head sadly*

(Mods: i know HoP isnt fond of talk about drugs and if you feel you need to delete this then please go ahead. i just thought id put in a little Safety Third notice because this thread really made me cringe lol)

We walk light
Down the wires
Higher than weather baloons
Empty hearts on fire...

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Much though I would love to do this again ( once only I suspect) for a photo session, I am starting to think I should quit while Im still ahead and group this stunt in with fire breathing and hanging by 1 arm off the tops of power pylons , things I no longer do for safety reasons as the risk is not worth the reward.

By the way I got bitten by a huntsman spider last week aswell. Pulled some vinal off an old stool and took a direct hit on the finger when I grabed a concealed spider aswell. didnt hurt that much, just ironic that I ve probably let 1 run up my arm at least 20 times without problems (as long as you dont move the hand you let it crawl on and keep chaseing it untill it is FULLY on your hand )

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ubblol all i can say mate is that you are a Darwin Award waiting to happen wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
All i can add to this topic is that the qld cane toad have some special poison, cause its them who sit on cow pads, and from cow pads we get Magic mushrooms. And magic mushrooms are very good.... MMmmm magic mushroom. (but i believe the poison in this case in strickneen) ubbloco ubblol ubblol

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

ubblol all i can say mate is that you are a Darwin Award waiting to happen wink

ubblol!

Adrian The Dawth.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
'SHROOMS!!! Much rather put those in my mouth than a FROG!!!

Can wash the 'shrooms first....washing the frog probably wouldn't help much!!! Blech!!!

There are some things I just *will not* put in my mouth!!!
ubbloco

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Fade

just incase anyone is mental enough to do this id just like to point out that Bufo Alvarius (or the Sonoran Desert Toad that all the toad licking stories come from) is NOT the same thing as the Bufo Marinus (Qld Cane Toad). Bufo Alvarius venom contains a powerful hallucinogen called 5-MeO-DMT as well as the poison bufotenin. Bufo Marinus venom ONLY CONTAINS BUFOTENIN.

whoops, i stand most corrected... redface
i was always bad at latin, good job i hadn't licked all these toads yet.
now i've just gotta get rid of them somewhere... anyone know an ecosystem that needs wreaking havoc on?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubbidea

Over the side! ubblol

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
my prefered method of toad removal in the NT was a swiftly moving shovel smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Lol Adrian, you worry me sometimes...
I had to come back here just to read this thread. :P

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
indeed splatto, a shovel is instant death and so much more readily avalible.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Anyone seen the Craic? You see a bullfrog put out of its misery by a well placed 9 iron ubblol

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
they actually make a popping sound if you hit them with the flat side of a shovel.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

they actually make a popping sound if you hit them with the flat side of a shovel.

From bursting the poison sacs, I presume?

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

Written by: Mr Majestik

From bursting the poison sacs, I presume?

i'm not really sure, but they're quite dead afterward.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
eeew

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Bufotenin, one of the chemicals excreted by the Cane Toad, is classified as a Class 1 drug under Australian drug laws. This is the same classification as heroin and cocaine. It is thought that the effects of bufotenin are similar to that of mild poisoning; the stimulating effect, which includes mild hallucinations, lasts for less than one hour. As the Cane Toad excretes bufotenin in very small amounts, and other toxins in relatively large amounts, toad licking could result in serious illness or death.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
as good as the photo op sounds... I'll admit I am now starting to worry Adrian... but it's all your choice.

As for getting rid of them, my uncle lives on a hill, he used to play hockey with them and you could hear them splat onto the road... unfortunatly someone built a house below them on the hill, so I dont think he plays hockey anymore

Page: