Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Saddam Hussien has been sentenced to death by hanging. I just heard it on the BBC radio 4 news. It hasn't appeared on their news website yet but I'll give you a link when it does.

I'm not sure there was ever any doubt that the death penalty would be given... I still feel uneasy about it though. I really don't believe in the death penalty, but is it different in cases like this?

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6117910.stm
This is the web page so far.

EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1162718478)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I can't help but feel this has made a bit of a murder out of Saddam.

I'd have much rather he rotted away in a cell somewhere...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yet again the puppet government in Iraq have attempted a publicity stunt, only for it to backfire.

I watched this story break at 3am last night...

A rushed execution, on the first day of a Muslim holiday... frown

And why did he have to be executed at all? Have any other presidents or leaders been executed for their crimes (most have died from old age!)?

I agree with many of the commentators on the news today... it seems that a chance of reconciliation between Sunnis and Shiites has been wasted...

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
(And before it's said... I know he did bad and terrible things... I know he is hated by thousands... but I don't, personally, believe in the death penalty)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ditto
but i understand the fear of if he is still alive he might be some looming presence
or he could be like napolean and escape
i believe this holiday is supposed to be about forgiveness too-is that irony used in the proper sense

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I don't think Saddam could have ever loomed anywhere again...

And certainly no chance for escape...

But I think that by keeping him alive, the Iraqi government/US forces would have displayed some clemency, which would have served them much better... considering their current image out there.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm also a bit torn, but as I do definitely NOT support death penalty... shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have no problem with it, I just don't think they should have used hanging.
In a country that has public punishment in a place called "chop-chop square", hanging didn't seem fitting.

Many political leaders have been executed over the years, but the legals call it "assassination" instead. Though I know the beheadings and murders of kings and emperors is surely not being forgotten here Clare. He is not the first, nor the last. It is more forward now thanks to the media and the sentiments over such things have changed over the years (where executions used to be part of the local entertainment) thanks to the liberties of free thought and speech.

Jo, I actually agree. *shrug*

Saddam commanded the deaths of a disgusting amount of people of his own accord to serve his own purposes. He overestimated his own power to maintain that behaviour and has been punished accordingly for it. Only he can be held responsible for giving those commands and making sure they were followed through upon. I can hand you a gun, and whether you choose to use it or not is completely up to you and is your responsibility. In this day and age, unless you have a serious mental incapacity, there are no unwilling puppets that high up.

Thousands upon thousands despise Sadam. No, FRD, I don't think anyone made a martyr out of him. In order to be a martyr anymore you need to be a sacrfice of some virtue.

The political layout hasn't changed for hundreds of years. Just the toys, the geography and the players.
Had this have been a few hundred years ago, he would have lived and been heralded a mighty leader (ala Elisabeth, Henry, etc.). Times they are achangin' but self-serving politics never has and it won't.

If a mundane, non-politically involved person caused mass genocide, there would not be the same "keep him alive" sentiment I think. Rape one child and all hell breaks loose (and I've seen some of the people involved in this discussion react with violence to such things). Kill thousands in the guise of politics and live. The double standard is sickening.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well, when McVeigh was up for the death penalty people wanted him to be in prison for life so he could rot and be miserable...i know it is not the same thing but any ways...

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There were alot of people screaming for Timothy McVeigh's death. Many more than the pro-lifers. I'm from his birth area and even here no one was saying "That boy was so nice and quiet."
They were saying, "There was a daycare center there. Kill the *bleep*."
*shrug*

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I wonder if Justice will come to Bush for his crimes against humanity?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

I wonder if Justice will come to Bush for his crimes against humanity?

I've wondered about that myself. I wish that Germany (or the EU in general) would grow some backbone and arrest him the next time he sets foot on European soil for the kidnapping of EU/German citizens.

And The Hague would not look kindly on many of his actions.

Of course, it comes down to money, as do all things. The United States still remains a major economic power (you can debate as to how long it will be the largest, but it's going to be very big for a long time to come). It is also a major military power and that would risk invasion or other military action.

It's terribly unfortunate that he'll never be tried because it would rock the boat too much.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
NYC: clap I guess we would, but as a precaution, Mr. Bush implemented the ruling, that the US army would get in and use "appropriate force" to liberate any US-citizen that is trialled in Den Hague.. go figure why wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
NYC??

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

NYC??

'Cause you know, he and Mike are so alike! Hey wait, wasn't there a thread about that? Herm. wink

Mike is right (yes, I said that Mike! tongue). Hell, I wish *we* could do some form of citizens arrest here to the same effect!

Pele

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
redface ubblol awareness has not fully get it's pawns on me wink Heck I have no idea how I was able to mix them up, pardon me smile

Changing subjects: Have you now heard of ppl downloading the vid of Saddam getting hanged onto their cellphones? eek "HangCast" confused I mean WTF!!!

Is that what is finally about? Like in the Roman empire: Bread and Games? Who would want to watch this? Sickens me a bit...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Who would watch it?

well, the kind of people who go to watch public executions, for a start. Yes, very dark ages, but they do exist.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mammad Aidani

How can we stop the destruction of our communities, our culture, our identity and live with some hope in the Middle East? These are fundamental questions for us and are far more compelling than the technicalities of the rights and wrongs of Saddam's trial.

Why death penalty opponent finds relief in saddam's end

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well I am a death penalty opponent and I do not find relief in Saddam's execution, period. I hope that the civil war will end , but am afraid it wont and ppl take him as another excuse for further killings...

"Why do we kill ppl who killed ppl to prove that the killing of ppl is wrong?"

The question remains.

Page: