Page:
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
maybe not quite the right area for this but one of the mods will over-rule the stoopid admin guy if necessary!

I haven't seen any talk about the calendar competion we launched last week so maybe it has been missed? or there's no interest frown
Anyway, we figured it would appeal to all those spinners that for whatever reason can't put together a COL video so I hope we were right!

Are people planning those winning shots yet? or are you waiting for the details/upload page to appear?

PAW 1 https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/photo_calendar.php

cheers
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Cole - release form for people - absolutely is on the list (as for the COL competition).

Kinny - if you've photoshopped it to make it funky, then no (sorry!). If you cropped it in photoshop and that's all, then possibly.

George

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i dont get what the problem is with photoshop? like if i take a photograph, and fiddle with brightness contrast a bit how can you tell ive done that? the thing with photoshop is you cant really tell when something has been adjusted or not... you can make loads of subtle adjustments to make your photos look better with it.. and it wont look 'photoshoped'...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i agree with oli.

if we're not allowed to use photoshop at all, digital photographers are at a massive disadvantage.

i understand you don't want effects but saying 'no photoshop, full stop' is a bit too much - a good photo can be turned into a great one with just a few small level adjustments.

having said that, if you can't tell that you've used photoshop, then its probably okay to enter the photo into the competition!

cole.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yup, not photoshop for digital photographers is like no manual print making for film photographers.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i have some wicked ideas for this when im in france but my problem is a) im stupid, will a phone camera have enough resolution - mine is 3.2 megap.....?

what if i dont have a fancy camera frown whats the best way of getting the pic and being at least the minimum quality?

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I fully understand the no photoshop rule. I know a guy who can create photos with the craziest looking fire patterns- of course there's absolutely no fire involved, its all pasted/painted on. When there's a no photoshop rule, period, there won't be people looking at the end product saying, 'yeah, but that's probably faked anyway'.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
That's the intent of the rule Entheogen - thanks for understanding. Very hard to word a rule to allow people to edit for brightness etc but not add effects.

Ze Bubbles - in the "olden days" people used to be able to take good quality photo's suitable for our purposes on (shock horror) "film" camera's! It's entirely possible to use an SLR film camera and convert the shot to digital...
Also, I'm checking out the resolution requirements with the calendar vendors and will have "the final word" on the entry page when we get that done.

George

grin

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Could the entrant not submit the 'original' image and the version with brightness contrast and cropping along side.

That way it will be clear what minor changes have been made without allowing blinding 'funkiness' to be added.

I do accept the photoshop rule in general, but like Oli, I see the benefit of allowing minor light state/ contrast adjustments, particularly if some of the entrees will be in low light (and thus difficult) lighting conditions for photography.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
this may sound silly, but does it have to be a pic of just one spinner? could it be a group of people doing their thing, like at a meet?

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
 Written by: georgemc

Good points about the horizontal and vertical cropping and resolution - thanks all. Will cogitate on that some more, but the intent is to create a calendar, and hopefully most people know what a calendar normally looks like so can plan their images appropriately.

You can't trust that the people share your view on what a calendar normally looks like.. and we can't trust that you share our view. Be as specific as possible --> less hassle.

Written by: Entheogen

I fully understand the no photoshop rule. I know a guy who can create photos with the craziest looking fire patterns- of course there's absolutely no fire involved, its all pasted/painted on. When there's a no photoshop rule, period, there won't be people looking at the end product saying, 'yeah, but that's probably faked anyway'.

This is graphic art not photography. Contrast and color correction etc is a normal part of digital photography. And a normal part of film photography.

Written by: georgemc

Very hard to word a rule to allow people to edit for brightness etc but not add effects.

Maybe hard but I'm sure you can do it.

I am against the shoot as much as possible and then photoshop trend of digital photography. I really put time and effort to get perfect pics the oldschool way. But I take my pics in raw-format and I will correct the whitebalance, contrast, exposure/brightness and colors of the picture if I find it necessary. I might even edit something out of a picture if it can't be cropped. Meaning something like a small distant light in a black background etc. I will not add anything. Or edit the flames or whatever.

I think it is a good idea to submit also the original pic if it has been modified in anyway. But then again you can never be sure if the pic is modified or not. I guess it comes down to the judges to decide wheter or not the submitted picture is photography or graphic art.

Point your toes.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
??? But isn't using photoshop more of less synonymous with doing graphic art on a photo? I mean, editing something out can use the exact same methods as painting something in, so where is the line actually drawn?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
what about red eye?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: the_mods_stole_my_name

this may sound silly, but does it have to be a pic of just one spinner? could it be a group of people doing their thing, like at a meet?

Fine - but you'll need the permission of everyone in the shot to submit it.

grin

addict
446 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Entheogen

But isn't using photoshop more of less synonymous with doing graphic art on a photo? I mean, editing something out can use the exact same methods as painting something in, so where is the line actually drawn?

I don't know where to draw the line. This is a forever ongoing discussion in photography forums. And I can submit pics to this particular competition without editing like this. But here is an example of a pic that I recently took and how I edited it. I edited out a piece of the slackrope and 2 small dots of light coming through the background fabric. And I still consider this photography. But like I said this kind of editing isn't necessary.

Non-Https Image Link

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Great pic Antti
x

Getting to the other side smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Faithinfire

what about red eye?

Try to ignore it, its just a by-product of getting stoned wink

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
why no photoshop?

I have cheap camera, plus many years of photoshop, that doesn't mean the photos aren't real.

I'd suggest your calender will be a lot better if you allow people to adjust the levels of the images, or at least convert to cmyk for you.

I mean the first thing whoeve makes the calender is going to do is, put it all into photoshop and adjust the levels (i hope)

And cropping photos is essential

Anyway, i'll be supplying images hugely manipulated in The Gimp wink It's much nicer than pshop anyhoo

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

It's much nicer than pshop anyhoo

eek

blasphemy!

who would speak out against the adobegod?!??!

stone the heretic! mad

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
ahem ubbangel

sorry to interupt the photoshop debate but can anyone help?

Written by: Ze_Bubbles

i have some wicked ideas for this when im in france but my problem is a) im stupid, will a phone camera have enough resolution - mine is 3.2 megap.....?

what if i dont have a fancy camera frown whats the best way of getting the pic and being at least the minimum quality?

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)

addict
446 posts

Posted:
The required resolution for the pic at the moment is 5 megapixels. So get a better camera or cheat and strech the picture into the required resolution hoping that it still looks good enough for printing. Phone cameras give crap quality anyway even with the higher resolutions these days.

Point your toes.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
thankyou! ill see if i can a friend help me with the resolution, i dunno how it works shrug

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
stretching 3.2 megapixels to the equivalent dimensions of a 5 megapixel camera will not give you high enough definition that is desired for the print version of this calendar i'm afraid frown

the reason there is a specified resolution rtaher than specified dimensions is so that you can guarantee a print resolution of 300dpi at the desired size of the calendar (see my post on the first page for a link to a handy website that gives you conversions between pixel resolutions and the relative print sizes at 300dpi).

so basically, for digital camera users, the simple answer is: you must use as a minimum a 5 megapixel camera

note that this 5 megapixel minumum assumes that you have not cropped your image at all - to maintain the desired resolution in a cropped image, you will need to have used a higher resolution camera.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks Cole smile

Getting to the other side smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
While we're talking about Low-res cameras: And I doubt this is going to be allowed, due to the photoshop problems: but would it be allowed to submit a series of say 4 to 6 photos arranged into a square rectangle?

Say a series of shots taken at different times during the same spin/at the same location, or even different viewpoints? i.e north/east/south/west views from on top of a mountain

that would allow people with lower res cameras to compete, but they'd have to produce at least 4 decent images first and then assemble them.

I heartily agree with the idea of allowing use of photoshop to 'tidy up' pictures, so long as the original photo is submitted as well... I don't think people will be that inclined to 'cheat' really.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
cheers cole!

i realy want to do my idea so will try and find a 5meg or higher to use which may prove difficult...

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I am thinking of entering hopefuly get some nice shots you might recongise some of the places lol

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
LazyAngel, I think thats a really cool idea.

*puts hand up to support it in the rules*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
You can strtch a 3Mpix image to 5Mpix by using proper printing software, it uses fractals to determin what the missing pixels should be and works amazingly well.

You can do it pretty well in pshop, just bump the interpolation settings up to the max, make it bigger than you need, then paint in any dodgy pixels, and shrink down the the desired size, oops, if you were allowed, wink

Cole, pshop 7 rocks, but cs1 and cs2 sucks the big one imo.

Adobe actually took out the ability for windoze to preview psd files from pshop in cs and made their dodgy and extremely processor hungry image viewer called bridge.

For years i kept an old version of pshop just so i could see psd thumbs, now i don't have and have to guess.

Gimp is at least as good as pshop 6 now, it's completely free and isn't bulked out to the max, like pHatshop. There is also a wicked theme called gimpshop which has identical menus to pshop. It's a bit weird to use but has some crazy features that pshop doeant, like script-fu smile

ANyhoo, all my images are manipulated so i can't enter, which is a shame.

I like the multi image idea.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

You can strtch a 3Mpix image to 5Mpix by using proper printing software, it uses fractals to determin what the missing pixels should be and works amazingly well.

i wouldn't say extremely well (although a 3Mp to 5Mp enlargement might not be *too* bad).

most printers would use hardware interpolation, not software i reckon - similar to what is used inside a high-resolution scanner.

quality of results depend on the content in my experience - its okay for enlarging very low res pixel stuff but i think its more than noticable on photos and it often has lots of trouble with text and other straight lines.

on the gimp v photoshop thing, i was only having a laugh to be honest smile
i only ever used photoshop 7 on a pc and moved directly to cs2 since i turned mac - i've never even used the gimp so i can't really comment at all.

i rarely use any of the advanced features and am really a lightweight photoshop user - pretty much only need it for image conversion, photo adjustment, scanning and so on.

i have to say i like the fact that adobe took the file browser out of photoshop and made bridge (but that's probably because i use photoshop, illustrator and indesign - if it could preview quark files too i'd be an even happier bunny but it'll never do that!).
i use it to manage my image library too.
why do you say its dodgy?

not sure the script-fu thing does it for me as i'm not a coder and far more important to me is photoshop's colour handling and tablet support (or does gimp supprt tablets now?).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
this is great :] I have a few old pictures i could submit to this. I hope they are nice enough smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Page: