Page: ...
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
maybe not quite the right area for this but one of the mods will over-rule the stoopid admin guy if necessary!

I haven't seen any talk about the calendar competion we launched last week so maybe it has been missed? or there's no interest frown
Anyway, we figured it would appeal to all those spinners that for whatever reason can't put together a COL video so I hope we were right!

Are people planning those winning shots yet? or are you waiting for the details/upload page to appear?

PAW 1 https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/photo_calendar.php

cheers
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cool stuff biggrin

Do Acyrilcs count?
*looks at avatar and the 40 other pictures I took in the same place* wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
It's on my radar, but I've not been planning any shots or anything. I'm sure there will be a significant interest.

A calendar is loooooonnngggg overdue.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I sure noticed this one and I think it's a nice idea. If you don't mind me saying then I'd recommend thinking again about the name "Poi around the world".

quote : "Images must include at least one element of poi/staff arts being displayed."

Fire around the world? Homeofpoi around the world? Something like that.. I don't see "poi" being the best word for firearts or -community.. Since it's not supposed to be only poi spinners.

Point your toes.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
It's a bit of a quandry indeed! "Homeofpoi around the world" might make some people think we would only allow our products to be used in the shots, "fire" excludes the many cool situations with LED, tailed poi, rope dart etc etc. As it was (and always is), we picked a name and hoped the description would make it clear what we are after. Settled on "Poi around the world" because we are "Home of Poi" and PAW is such a better acronym than any of the other's I could think of - is anything better than a nice cuddly cat?! smile

Any better name suggestions will be seriously considered though!

Acyrilcs Durbs??? I'm just a thick-o from Down-under - you might need to explain that! But if it's a place in the world and it looks like your Avatar pic then it has potential.

cheers
George

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
George:

Acrylics:

Here:

Non-Https Image Link

smile

How about for the name: Different people doing different things and different stuff in different places? (DPDDTDSDP) Kinda catchy and rolls of the tongue dont you think? wink

Written by: GeorgeMC

I haven't seen any talk about the calendar competion we launched last week so maybe it has been missed? or there's no interest

This is a site of slack lazy hippies ubblol

People will enter otherwise Im going to win all the prizes devil

Well.... the bragging rights! ubblol

And they sure wont let me get that otherwise they know they wont hear the last of it! wink

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Thanks UCOF! I did wonder if it was a typo but I have to admit the only acrylics I could think of was acrylic paints.... redface ubblol
Durbs - if you can make them look as picturesque as a full page calendar scenic photo should look then I'll allow it!

And UCOF I doubt the site is full of slack lazy hippies - I bet that everyone was outside manipulating rather than wasting away their time on the internet. cool

George

grin

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I've got some ideas planned smile

Feeling kinda fancy too! Never thought I'd enter a competition on here! ubbrollsmile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: George

I doubt the site is full of slack lazy hippies

ubblol ubblol ubblol

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Is this gonna be the swimsuit edition? If so I'm looking forward to entries from Finland... biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

addict
446 posts

Posted:
" 4 # Digital images submitted should be of at least 2592 x 1944 resolution or better to allow full-screen PC display and high quality printing. "

So is this the exact aspect ratio (1,33 x 1) you are looking for? Should dslr ratio (1,5 x 1) pics be cropped to fit this ratio? Or can you crop them (as it seems to be allowed) the way you want to as long as the resolution is high enough..?

And does it matter if the photos are 2592 x 1944 or 1944 x 2592 ?

Point your toes.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
are we allowed to post pictures on the site to get feedback then enter them, on the understanding that they are deleted afterwards? and is image manipulation (i.e, using photoshop) allowed? is the image or the actuality more important?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Good questions Guy

In all honesty George, I'd completely missed it, and I'm on the site regularly- How was it advertised? (I link straight through to the forum for most visits, so the front page may also miss other members).

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Antti - the resolution is the desired minimum - bigger is fine.
And "vertical" or "horizontal" is also fine. (x by y or y by x no prob)

Lazy Angel - posting for feedback bit - who would you get the feedback from? The judges aren't likely to comment! As for deleting after posting, that would be up to you whether it stayed in your gallery or was deleted. Actually, I guess that bit's not necessarily clear - the only provision for posting images on the site currently is the gallery. The competition entry area will probably not allow anyone to see the submitted entries. We haven't discussed the mechanics of this bit yet, but my vote would be not.

image manipulation bit - cropping is ok but what we don't want to see is "photoshopped effects" etc. touchups, red-eye removal, whatever aren't allowed - we're not looking for the "perfect" picture of a model-like person etc - it's primarily the overall visual effect we're looking for - the combined impression of scenery and "toy".

Hope this helps.
George

grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr_Chutney

In all honesty George, I'd completely missed it, and I'm on the site regularly- How was it advertised? (I link straight through to the forum for most visits, so the front page may also miss other members).

In the interests of trying to keep "Home of Poi - the business" seperate to "Home of Poi - the Community/Forum" and to not clutter up the forum with "advertising", we have tried to strike a balance between "broadcasting" this kind of info and keeping it "low key". The compromise we are trialling is the "Community News" link at the top of the page in the forum. We are making lots (hopefully) of announcable changes/additions at the moment so we hope to have this as a regular update point for people without having to "advertise" things more blatantly.

Perhaps you missed it because the link doesn't look like a link (until you "mouse over" it)???

grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GeorgeMC

who would you get the feedback from?

I think Seniour LazyAngel would get feedback from us lot?
You know, as in... "well.. the more of you who like it, then the more the judges will like it" sort of thing... I think... umm

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
yep, that was pretty much what I was asking! also, I thought that in the case of having a whole bunch of images you might want to have some help in selecting the best ones for entry.

I.e, I would stick something in my gallery, and then ask people to comment on it. The reason I ask about deleting the photos: well If the finished product is a calendar, wouldn't it have the same rules on entries as COL?

I'm definitely going to start trying to get some snaps while I'm in china...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
if people don't want poi around the world, and maybe i missed it but come on people it is obvious
hop around the world-cheesey but hey it's us

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info George.. The reason I was asking about cropping etc was that pictures in calendars are usually either horizontal or vertical. Trying to go for a smooth design out of pics that come in all shapes and sizes will be a terrible task for the people in charge. And I am not letting anyone else crop my pics if one would get chosen to be on the calendar. Or does "All submitted entries become the property of Home of Poi." mean that I have no control over that..?

So you might want to reconsider giving more precise and strict requirements for the pics. But you prob thought of all this already..

Point your toes.

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Digital images submitted should be of at least 2592 x 1944 resolution or better to allow full-screen PC display and high quality printing.

Wow I just purchased a fairly expensive 4mega pixel digital cam and it does not meet the resolution requierments but comes very very close.

Robert Bruce
Poi Geek, Technologie Freak. Montreal, Quebec Canada

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Really? I'm surprised... Even on the highest setting?

I thought it was pretty high at first, but my girlies camera which costs arounf £200 takes them at that res (and above I think)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nah, that's resolution works out to about 5 megapixels durbs:

https://web.forret.com/tools/megapixel.asp?width=2592&height=1944

as you can see from that website, that gives a maximum calendar image size of 8.6" x 6.5" which isn't exactly massive.

cost is fairly irrelevant to resolution but i too would have expected a 'fairly expensive' camera to have a better resolution than 4mp shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
so do they have to be pictures from now onwards - or can we use old ones?

biggrin

ubbangel

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Only 3 entries each ubbcrying
I was going to send every poi or stick spinning picture I have got of me.

ubbrollsmile

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
This looks cool, must not forget to enter this. Does it have to be photos of yourself spinning or can it be pictures of people with talent that far excedes your own.

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The rules

Poi Around the World - Calendar Photo Competition

2008 will be Home of Poi's 10th birthday and among the many things we are thinking of to help mark the occasion is a calendar. A calendar showing poi in use all around the world. And since Home of Poi could not exist without the dedicated following of the fabulous HoPpers, we want your help to create this calendar.
Therefore, we announce our latest competition - "Poi Around the World".
calendar_photo
Tailed Poi being used at South Pole. Do not scare the Penguins!
Competition Rules

1. All submitted entries become the property of Home of Poi. By submitting images to this competition, you grant us permission to use them for any product or purpose we choose. Of course, credit will be given wherever possible, but your prior permission for each instance will not be required.
2. All submitted entries must be original photo images. No editing/touchup, photoshop creations, "pirated" images etc. Cropping is the only editing allowed. Submitter must be the "owner" of the image.
3. Only 3 images can be entered by any one person. We expect a LOT of entries - without a limit, we will have practicality issues including site bandwidth and fair judging. We think a limit will mean the images submitted will be of a very high quality.
4. Digital images submitted should be of at least 2592 x 1944 resolution or better to allow full-screen PC display and high quality printing.
5. Entries submission will close in31 July 2007. This is to allow sufficient time for "judging" and calendar production. Calendar will go on sale in October (in time for the 9th birthday).
6. Images must be of safe and legal content - i.e. no climbing over the barriers to take a photo at the tip of the Eiffel Tower/Statue of Liberty etc etc. If we believe or are informed that local laws were broken or personnel safety was jeopardised in the taking of the photo, the image will be rejected. (We care about your safety and you shouldn't have to go to great lengths to get a good photo).
7. Images must include at least one element of poi/staff arts being displayed. The performer does not need to be visible - but the prop/toy must.
8. Other requirements will be shown on the image submission page of the website.

Prizes

This is not a "1st, 2nd, 3rd" type competition. This is a competition essentially for "bragging rights"! However, each person who has an image or images chosen for the full page photo's on the calendar will receive a prize of USD$150 credited to their HOP account.
Remember we will be choosing at least 12-13 images - for each month and the calendar cover. If the images are particularly impressive we may choose more than one image per month, or produce more than one calendar - in which case each calendar would be "themed" (e.g. "Poi Around the World - Structures" & "Poi Around the World - Landscapes"). We will also use the image pool to create computer wallpapers, screensavers and possibly cards etc. so there will be many opportunities for bragging rights.

So there you are then - you have 3 seasons to get out there and take awesome inspiring photo's. The timing should allow you summer and winter shots regardless of where you live.
This is kind of a "Stills COL" and as such it should be easier for our members to participate in as you don't need high skill, video equipment, editing equipment, access to royalty free music etc. Because of this, as stated in the rules, we expect almost everyone will enter hence the image limit. Also, this should make the standard of the images very high indeed, so you need to consider all aspects of the image - the location, the lighting, the time of year etc.
And you probably don't have to travel to exotic locations to get that "winning shot" - although it may be hard to beat a shot of say brightly coloured comet poi twirling at the top of Mt Everest or in front of the Antarctic South Pole! Every place in the world has amazing scenic locations, and even the "normal" ones can be scenic in the right lighting conditions and with the right subject in the foreground. Consider lightening storms(!), sunrise/sunset, full moon, street/building night lights etc.
Given the competition name is Poi Around the World, we are likely to be looking for images showing recognisable international landmarks as the backdrop for poi arts, however this does not necessarily mean it has to be a famous building (pyramid, Taj Mahal, Stonehenge, etc), or famous location (Ayers rock, Niagra Falls, the view up Lake Pukaki of Mt Cook etc) as long as it is a recognisable location. A close-up photo of you twirling poi on a backdrop of snow doesn't prove it's the North Pole! It doesn't have to be a well known international location, but it should at least be recognisable to anyone who has been there.
Think about is it the kind of picture people will want to have on their wall for a whole month and then maybe want to frame it. Visual appeal is what we're after.

The submissions page will be added over the next few months and will be linked from this page. We will attempt to include the functionality for you to change your mind and replace an existing submitted image with another.
Good Luck and Enjoy!
George McNeur

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Wot - ppl couldn't read it where it was UCOF?!!

Q&A's:
Does it have to be of yourself - no. (in fact refer the rules - the person doesn't even need to be visible). The intent of the rule is to target the "image" rather than the talent.

Recent or from a while ago - hmmmm, am I gonna step into a wee trap here?! I have little chance of being able to determine if a shot is recent or not so there is no intent to require only recent photo's to be used. Mind you, if the entry photo features a landmark that doesn't exist anymore (e.g. the World Trade Center, or Mt Cook before the tip fell off) and we notice it, then it is likely to have less chance of winning.

Good points about the horizontal and vertical cropping and resolution - thanks all. Will cogitate on that some more, but the intent is to create a calendar, and hopefully most people know what a calendar normally looks like so can plan their images appropriately. The resolution "rule" is also not necessarily a "rule" - but we will need sufficient image quality to print a nice calendar from. Once we have finalised things a bit more with the calendar folk we should be able to provide more guidance on these points.

keep the questions coming! (of course I might not answer them all . . . !)

George

grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No, people could indeed read it, now theres no excuse to ask something that is mentioned in them wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
do we need penguins
bouncebouncebouncebounce

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: georgemc

Does it have to be of yourself - no. (in fact refer the rules - the person doesn't even need to be visible). The intent of the rule is to target the "image" rather than the talent.

you want to be a little more careful with that one.

if someone submits a photo that is *not* of themselves, they should really ensure that they have a model release form signed by the spinner in the image.

i wouldn't normally worry about it within a community like this but once its published and directly linked to making money (even if the calanders aren't a profit spinner but more a memento celebration, its better to be safe then sorry), these things become a lot more important.

georgemc - i would recommend that hop demand that each photo entered is accompanied by a model release form signed by the spinner(s) in the shot.

example model release and related info here.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

kinny_bBRONZE Member
50 posts

Posted:
i'v got some piccies that iv took myself of pther people, and photoshopped them...can i send them in, cos i've got a REALLY funky one biggrin

Page: ...