Forums > Social Chat > juggling, swinging, etc. at demonstrations

Login/Join to Participate

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
tomorrow the students at my university had planned to "take" the university for one night(don't know the specific term in english...anyone?), but as it is going to stay closed until some other problems are solved, we're going to camp on the campus. now here comes my problem: i've spoken to some friends and told them that i was going to bring my juggling equipment, but some of them didn't like the idea, they told me that juggling against war is like making photocopies against war, it doesn't make any sense, mainly because i enjoy it and i'll be having fun.

i belive that juggling and swinging at demonstrations (manifestations?? or am i translating literally from spanish???) does show my protest, even if i'm having fun, or perhaps even because i'm having it, at least i'm peaceful. it also does make people around me happier, so the manifstation is nicer for everybody. i'm still taking part at it, but in another way...

do you belive that in acts against war you can have fun?? if not, how about music, or artists who paint against war?? i'm a bit confused right now, i don't feel good about juggling or swinging tomorrow...

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
If the protest organisers can't cope with juggling, I'd love to know what they'd think about the wonderfully creative efforts I've been a part of, and have seen at protests, including:

+ running around with bright coloured clothing on, shooting everyone with bubble guns
+ twirling and spinning with beautiful ribbon pois and staffs
+ a jump rope cheerleading team, jumping for peace
+ fabulous people dresses as pirate ships and nurses, with dj's playing tunes, and people dancing
+ making beautiful paper flowers and handing them out to random strangers in the crowd
+ handing out bottles of bubbles to random people
+ drawing symbols, words and pictures in chalk on the ground
and I could go on

creativity and protests should get together more often I reckon

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Promoting peace in a beautiful way as opposed to being destructive and abusive!

That's how all protests should be.

Keep up the good work guys

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'd challenge those who say spinning and juggling at protests is wrong to explain why protests must be only sad and angry things. I think one of the best way to oppose war is by spreading joy, love and playing! This directly attacks the reason wars exist.

So spin, juggle and smile on the protest and spread love and joy!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
How about making up a t-shirt ogo with the juggling

"Throw balls not bombs"

"Spin poi, not lies"

"Ride unicycles,, not tanks"

etc etc

would that make it more politically correct?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Hmm. I'd say it depends on the feelings of other protesters. You can''t say you're 'taking part' in a protest, unless you're showing some form of solidarity with the other protesters.

If they're having a 'sit in', but you're 'playing tennis for peace' then you're not taking part in their protest.

In the case of the massive anti-war protests about at the moment, and indeed pretty much all big marches, then spinners and jugglers keeping a load of bored protesters entertained is definitely taking part in the protest.

just my 2p

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles (INFERNO):
How about making up a t-shirt ogo with the juggling

"Throw balls not bombs"

"Spin poi, not lies"

"Ride unicycles,, not tanks"

etc etc

Charles can i nick those off you, their GREAT!!!
I'm thinking of having some t-shirts made up myself, and those lend them selves to what i had in mind.
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
High Class Hippy No:1
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
thx for your input, and i learned some new words... always good

but the thing is it's not the organizers who don't agree with it, i don't even know who they are, its some of my friends.

simian, your post made me think, because it's going to be a sit in, but i still don't think it's like "playing tennis for peace", i think poi is more of an art, and therfore expresses feelings. i guess i'll just check out how people react, i can always put my juggling gear away...

dom, i think you explained pretty well how i feel about protests, they don't have to be negative all the time, and i think that if people see that we can also make beautyful things while protesting, they will be more eager to support the protests. i also think that by juggling we show what we want to achieve, a better and more beautyful world, without all those negative feelings that can be seen anywhere these days...

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Kiddamember
60 posts

Posted:
the best protests in my experience have been the ones where the samba band is playing and getting the crowd moving, theres a trike pumping out some dirty drum n bass, people are blowing whistles, chanting and singing, juggling with clubs fire or whatever there is to hand (dont try it with police helmets, they dont like that very much oops)and you can feel the vibe just going through the whole thing like a wave sweeping the place.
If i was stuck in a protest where everyone was stern faced and serious about everything, id get out quick.
When people revolt, they need a beat to dance to.
Or in your case, one to juggle to.
Dont let anyone dictate to you what you can and cant do, remember this is your personal stand against the war, make it special to you.
love and rage
Kidda

Zamorghiamember
38 posts

Posted:
PREMOTING PEACE SHOULD INTERACT WITH WHAT PEACE IS. IF WE PROTES PEACE WITH ISUES THAT BREAK PEACE WE ARNT HELPING. SO DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO TO PREMOTE PEACE AS LONG AS IT IS PEACE. ESPECIALY WHEN IT IS A ACT THAT IS FUN AND ENJOYED BY YOU AND OTHERS. SYTANDING AROUND WONE DO ANYTHING.

Live in the present. Don't dwell in the past or worry about the future.

Zamorghiamember
38 posts

Posted:

Live in the present. Don't dwell in the past or worry about the future.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
what are they going to do? Kick you out of their war protest? Make you leave? I'm sure the majority of people will love it if you twirl and juggle. Help keep them from getting boared.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I'd say anything that contributes to the carnival atmosphere at a protest is essential to keep it peaceful. If they don't want you juggling, maybe they have the idea that this particular protest is going to turn into a riot, in which case stay away.

Magnus... pay it forward

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Me and my friends were talking about this kinda thing after the march on saterday. They had a rig with and amp, speakers and generator on a trolley. A few of us were swinging poi and there were jugglers juggling, drummers drumming, kids and old ladies jamming to reggae.....

The conclusions we came to anyway was that we went to the march to be seen there on the streets on that particular day, together with other protesters and to March to the Government buildings to make our voices heard. We didn't go to listen poiliticians tell us what we already know. I don't need convincing and the reasons why I think this war is wrong is not the same as anyone elses anyway.

Only one lady complained to us and we moved the rig further back so she could hear the speaker who was talking. Everyone else I spoke to said that it brought energy and momentum to the march. We were there right till the end of the march until we were removed from the street and I promise that the people jamming at the rig were all races, ages and cultures.

Protest in whatever way you see fit, it's your presence which is important. Not everyone agrees but who's to say who's right and wrong, I don't agree with the organisers using children up on stage to melt everyone's hearts when they are too young to understand the details of why the war is happening, but I will still be there this saterday though.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
what's at issue is that you are protesting.
for others to complain at how you express this protest is beside the point, much in the same way that my keyboard is beside this bottle of superglue....uh oh...asdjk;fhasjdhglasnglkngs

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
SaBBas - how did your action go? did you end up 'taking' the campus?

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
weeelll... it was kinda different than i thought, not as many people, it was more like a party... but i still didn't twirl, because when some others started to twirl fire, the security people came running and told us that we couldn't make any fire, even if it had just stopped raining and there was nothing burneable near...
i still twirled, but just unlit

it was still funny, i met a lot of strange and funny people, many surreal moments

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
Drop beats, not bombs...

wick... wick... wickedy-wah!

if ur in Birmingham on April 4th there's a big CND anti-war party on with Mark Thomas & Lindi Layton & loads of other people (Joe Mangle from Neighbours!)

er... link?

tubledown / CND party