Forums > Help! > What to do with a new computer?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I am finally going to get over my technological purchasing block, and buy a new laptop, external harddrive, digital camera, speakers, flat screen monitor, and a do- all printer scanner thingie... And assorted things I need to go with it all.

First of all, any pertinent advice? I am thinking Mac, but thats about all I know so far. I want everything to work together as easily as possible and be quality to last as long as possible... I hate getting new things.

Most importantly, I was wondering how one gets all the stuff off the old computer and onto the new one? I am now using a practically antique PC.

Simple answers only please, I wont even attempt to get into anything I need an extra degree to understand!

**I am going to hire a computer person to show me how to use all the new crap, so I dont spend the next eight years trying to figure it out, as I have with this one. I was just getting comfortable with it now, as it starts to die!

Thanks for any advice!

A hug ubbrollsmile

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
OMG, this computer is a laugh riot. It has this camera on it, and I left it out and on at the party last night... Three hundred images later... What is it about things like that that people have to get naked? lol... Anyways, have not figured out the rest of it, but some funny pics are in my gallery!
xoxo
a

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BansheeCat

I learn much better from people demonstrating the idea that I need- I actually hate googling things, spends too much time sorting through unnecessary information. Computers are not pleasure for me, and I want to take the most efficient route to using mine. A well designed help program is great, but usually I learn through someone who knows what they are doing showing me something!:)

Thanks for the input guys,
A

personally... how i learnt computers was find something you want to do and try to do it... if it's not vitally important work, who cares if it all goes wrong... the only thing you should worry about is crashing the thing - but what with extended support or whatever that surely doesn't matter either wink and the great thing about computers is you can pretty much always undo undo undo undo....

i've never owned a mac though, when all my existing copies of expensive software are for windows it just seemed too much hassle... so my first major electronical investment was my lovely friendly sony vaio laptop and we are very happy together computing and stuff...

i would like a new digi camera though, the nikon one i currently have, just doesn't seem to produce good, sharp colourful images... so i might try canon - although i would also be very easily swayed towards any camera you can take underwater and drop from five feet biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Banshee, we seem very similar. I'm also just stepping into the new millenium. My old laptop just died so I got a new one and a webcam. Bought a DVD player this year (VHS last year after always having used Betamax) and I'm getting a digital camera soon.

It's all scary and kind of fun at the same time, isn't it?

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
play games!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Sigh, still have not figured out how to burn dvds on this thing. I did read the help stuff, it makes no sense. Anybody have a macbook and care to walk me through the process of taking a dvd, copying it, and burning it to a blank one?

I cant wait to hang out with other people that know what they are doing and learn!

Gettting into the technological age is going to take even more time than I though!
lol
smiles
a

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I don't know how to do it with just OSX. I always use toast for CD burning.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
OK here's roughly how to do it with just OSX.

Open Disk Utility (in the utilitis folder, press Apple+Shift+U to open that folder).

Put the disk you want to copy in he DVD drive.

Click on the new image icon in Disk Utility, and tell it where to make the image.

When it's done put a blank disk in the DVD drive.

Click on the burn image icon in Disk Utility.

Select the disk image you made previously.

If you just want to back up a bunch of files to CD or DVD it's a lot easier.

Right click (or CTRL+Click if you've only got one mouse button) on the desktop, and select New Burn Folder.

Copy the files you want to back up into the folder (just drag them in. actually it makes shortcuts, to save using up extra space from having 2 copies).

Right click on the folder and select Burn Disk.

It'll tell you how big a disk you need to put in the drive.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
I've your wanting to put your own videos or stuff you have downloaded on to a DVD it should be really easy (see below). But if you are trying to copy a DVD then it might have data protection on it - for example it is a film you have bought. Then you will have to get some software which can 'rip' the film - make it into a file on your hard disk. The reason for this in some cases this isn't legal so Apple don't include it in the operating system. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do it, cause I've never done it but it does tell you here: https://home.comcast.net/~appleguru/dvdrip.html

I can't vouch this in any way.

To burn files stored on your hard disk:

1. put the blank DVD in the drive.

2. when it appears on the desktop, double click on it.

3. copy or move all the files you want into this window.

4. Choose File / Burn Disc.

Hope this helps.

Now I'm a MacBook owner too - just got me a little white one called Santa's Little HD biggrin I'm having soooo much fun with Photo Booth biggrin

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Just found this which might be better for you: https://www.flip4mac.com/download.htm

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Thanks you guys! Your directions are much more clear than the help section. I will try again tonight... Yeah, the photobooth is fabulous, we laugh our heads off. Worth the price of the computer alone, that bit! Fun!

Next question, does anyone know how to get wmv files to open? Do I need to download something for that?They dont seem to open in divx or quicktime...

I have asked about getting lessons, so that should happen next week. Thankfully. It is sort of frustrating so far, not knowing anything!
xoxo
a

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
What you need is https://www.flip4mac.com/

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
yay! I just had a two hour computer lesson, and it was amazing. So many things are so much simpler now, and efficient, and fabulous! He helped me find download and install all the programs I need, showed me how to organize things on the harddrive, set preferences, perform functions, all sorts of little codes--- so practical.

I can't believe how much basic stuff I did not know! No wonder computer people sounded like they were talking a different language. Getting a translator was a brilliant idea!
I did get the flip for mac thing, thanks for that tip!

hug ubbrollsmile biggrin

Page: