Forums > Help! > What to do with a new computer?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I am finally going to get over my technological purchasing block, and buy a new laptop, external harddrive, digital camera, speakers, flat screen monitor, and a do- all printer scanner thingie... And assorted things I need to go with it all.

First of all, any pertinent advice? I am thinking Mac, but thats about all I know so far. I want everything to work together as easily as possible and be quality to last as long as possible... I hate getting new things.

Most importantly, I was wondering how one gets all the stuff off the old computer and onto the new one? I am now using a practically antique PC.

Simple answers only please, I wont even attempt to get into anything I need an extra degree to understand!

**I am going to hire a computer person to show me how to use all the new crap, so I dont spend the next eight years trying to figure it out, as I have with this one. I was just getting comfortable with it now, as it starts to die!

Thanks for any advice!

A hug ubbrollsmile

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Yup, get a Mac, then you don't have to decide between Windows or MacOSX, because you can have both.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
i would disagree..... a very valid point but i just hate mac's wink

anyway, regardless, obviously i dont know the intentions for said machine, but if it is an "upgrade" for whatever your on now, i would go for a desktop pc, if space/requirements permit. The reason being that they are much cheaper and eaisier to get someone to upgrade when they start to become obsolete (which isnt that long!).

laptops are not as user friendly as far as upgrading is concerned, and can be expensive. Thats just an opinion though wink
If a laptop is the way, then as much as it pains me to say it, go for a mac with windows operating system....

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:

I'm just waiting for the upgrade on the MacBook before buying one myself

Most people I know are considering buying laptops because they don't like being chained to a desk when working or showing people stuff. For example I love taking my laptop around with me so I can have meetings anywhere. This is fantastic if your wanting to show off your wonderful creations.

As for going for the operating system - I studied Computer Science ages ago and have used a bunch of operating systems. Windows has always bugged me for its lack of elegance and its tendency to crash at the worst possible time. Linux is probably the most stable and powerful, but a pain in the arse in installing and operating for your average user. When OSX for the Mac came out and I had a play with it, I thought to myself "This is how a computer should operate". Its secure and easy to use, and now-a-days, unless you play games, on OSX you can do everything you want to on Windows.

If you decide to buy a Mac and use OSX, one thing you might have to think about is if your previous files are in Word or Excel. You would then have to splash out on Microsoft Office for the Mac - but this will probably be the only software you have to buy, as loads comes with the computer.

An external drive is pretty vital if you buy a laptop as this is where you should back up your stuff in case of damage or thievery. It could also be a way to transfer your files from your old machine to the new one.

Unless you want to play the latest games, are into super high quality video editing, or modeling stuff in 3D, there isn't really a need to go for a MacBook Pro. It would therefore be best to go for a MacBook (a lot cheaper so you have cash for those extras). But I would recommend waiting till they release the upgrade (probably sometime in Nov) or you will splash out the same cash for a less powerful machine. Thats what I'm doing, and I hear that they might be releasing a RED one; so some of your cash will go to a good cause.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I bought a mac. I love it and I reckon its the way forward for what you'll need. Get as good as you can afford and dont worry about it becoming obselete.

If your getting use out of your antique, then your gonna be happy for years and years with whatvever you buy new.

pcs break. thats what they do especially if your not techno savy enough to be interested in maintenence... and i find the support you get from apple is far superior to anything like dell etc. buy the extended 'apple care' warranty too...

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep, i'd agree with all that advice.

especially that of matt's - a notebook makes lots of sense for taking showing off examples of previous work when visiting clients.

also a notebook means that you can skip worrying about buying a screen or speakers (although the aplle imac desktop computers come with a built-in screen too).

as matt said, an external hard drive is an essential piece of kit for backing up your files and is all you will need to get your files off of your old computer and onto the new one smile

sketch - purely out of interest, what sparked your mac hatred and when was the last time you used one?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! But should I really wait? Will the new one come out in November? Isn't there always a new one?

Glad to know the external harddrive will help me transfer the info from one to the other, been wondering about that and worried it would be a huge hassle.

I will probably buy a new flat screen monitor and good quality speakers, so I can use them to watch dvds and videos etc..

In fact, maybe I should just buy a desk top and a lap top? Does that make more sense than the external hard drive and assorted gadgetry option?

Thnaks for your help!

xoxo

a

I think I will buy them this weekend unless there is really good reason to wait for the latest greatest... Is there?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Yep, having both sounds like the best option, but it really comes down to what you plan on doing with your computer that'll aid you in making your decision.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Stout, if I do that would I still need an external hard drive to get the info off my old computer and onto the new ones?How would I do that? Can the lap top be backed up to another computer rather than an external harddrive for security etc?

TX A

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
If you have two Macs then the easiest way to connect them is using a fire wire cable, or get someone to set up a network for you. And basically the more places you keep your data the safer it is; probably the best is to keep it on both computers and periodically write it to a DVD in your lovely new Mac smile

And if you're in a hurry on the Mac website they have Refurbished machines (on the front page of the store it's in the bottom right corner) for up to 1/3rd off! I nearly bought one today - except I don't have the money yet hehe

Personally I would just buy the laptop and save all your money going to a firm that has too much already.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
oh, these companies so rarely get any of my money whatsoever... It has taken me years and years of saying I need a new computer etc etc before getting to the stage where I actually buy anything.I live off hand me downs for the most part. But it is getting hard to run my business smoothly that way, so I need to invest a little.

The most important thing for me is that is all fits together in a simple fashion. I will back up info from my laptop, if it is easy to do so. So how to best make it easy? And the home computer would also serve as a TV, since I dont have one, and would like to watch dvds... and as a stereo... and and... so it may actually be worth it!

I will go look at the mac website. thanks for the tip!

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
OMG, I just did it, and bought a computer!!!! Wow. I thought I would never get over my stupid block about big technological purchases and manage that.

Icklematt, I did as you suggested, and bought a refurbished one. Macbook pro, 15 inch, with all assorted gadgetry and extended support and insurance for three years...

Now, still have to get the camera and speakers, but the computer portion of things is done! Yay!!!!!

TX,
a

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The first thing you need to do is fill it with lard...
Just push it into the keyboard, try to get a good even coating over all the keys.

ubbrollsmile

No reason really...

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Lard?! But I am vegetarian! Doesn't Mac make some that will function with tofu?!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No, it has to be lard.

Sorry shrug

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
yes, backup, backup early and often.

PC users are bad enough as it is for not bothering, thinking nothing will happen, and then being distraught beyond belief when something inevitably does and all their work / their business or whatever resides on that one machine.

Mac owners in their air of artificial supremacy/safety/security are unfortunately far worse (no offence meant to any mac users, this is apples fault for their marketing strategy & 'nothing to see here' policy of denial)

when PC's go wrong there's a vast catalog of cheep &/or do it yourself recovery systems available, or good places to take the machine to, when mac's go wrong your in real trouble.

PS. Liechtenstein? cool, lol, never heard of the place till I nearly ended up going their last year for a karate seminar smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

Mac owners in their air of artificial supremacy/safety/security are unfortunately far worse (no offence meant to any mac users, this is apples fault for their marketing strategy & 'nothing to see here' policy of denial).

umm

not for long...

and if you can't wait till then, the .mac service that apple offer is a pretty good backup option too:

https://www.apple.com/dotmac/backup.html

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I did get their expensive extended support and warranty stuff... hopefully that will help! And I do plan to back up, either to another computer, or to another harddrive. Nick says an external hardrive is better... Opinions?
TX
xoxox
A

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
if it's something really valuable to you, don't just leave it to an external hard drive, get it on some optical media (cd/dvd), and if small, offsite backup eg, email it to your own google mail account or something.

most serious random unexpected failures I've had to deal with round here in the last year have been fried systems from lightning, that took out all plugged in magnetic storage.

oh and on that note, some surge protected sockets are worth investing in too.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
@ coleman, cool, it's about time they did something about the problems with basic file recovery, or lack of.

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Congrats with the MacBook Pro. I'm super jealous. Let us know how us know how you get on with it.

Extended support will mean you can call them whenever about whatever - use it biggrin

As for backing up - I would do a regular copy of all your important files on to an external hard drive (on the folder do a ctrl + click and make an archive and move it to the external hard disk). And burn a CD or DVD of projects at suitable intervals.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BansheeCat

**I am going to hire a computer person to show me how to use all the new crap, so I dont spend the next eight years trying to figure it out, as I have with this one. I was just getting comfortable with it now, as it starts to die!

This isn't the best way to go about it. The reason most computer-illiterate people are computer illiterate is because they think that learning about computers is like learning maths or physics, where you (usually) need someone to teach you. It's not. It's one of those things where you have to be comfortable with playing about with something you have no idea about, and slowly working it out for yourself.. be experimentative and open-minded, learn to use google if u need info on anything.

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
I agree wholeheartedly with PsyRush, but I wouldn't use google to work out how to do something on a Mac. First I would use the 'Help' menu (try the application or the system preferences help), then I would go on to the Apple Support site, and then I would give Apple a call.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How come Matt? umm

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Cause I've had to trawl through loads of rubbish pages in Google trying to match my query. But I have been pleasantly surprised on how 'to the point' most Apple help pages are. They made the machine and software so they should know how to fix it.

Besides if I know where to go, why should I ask Google the directions? Search is so 2005 wink

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I learn much better from people demonstrating the idea that I need- I actually hate googling things, spends too much time sorting through unnecessary information. Computers are not pleasure for me, and I want to take the most efficient route to using mine. A well designed help program is great, but usually I learn through someone who knows what they are doing showing me something!:)

Thanks for the input guys,
A

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I might be late, but for the bolt on's:
For the scanner - 100% buy Canon they whip the llamas ass
and for the printer if you're getting an inkjet - You wont regret Canon IP range
and camera - Buy Canon (although there is some flexibility here)
whatever you get, you wont regret canon - their sh!t is tight.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Oops Drew, I just bought an Olympus camera instead of the Canon recommended by you (and by Ry too)--- I was sold on the whole I can drop it from five feet thing. It is shock resistant!And I can take it underwater up to ten feet, for an entire hour! ( thinking about Thailand beaches, little boats-- hell even Cornwall!Were you there when Nick and I's tent flooded!I am prone to the extremes...)

And I think it takes okay pictures too!;) But waiting to hear back from Ry about if that was a good choice or not. 15 days to change my mind...

Have not got the printer et al yet, still using the old one. Specifically, I need one that I can lay jewellery on and scan an image. My Lexmark did that really well, my Brother brand sucks. I have no idea how to look for this sort of application in the information offered about each model.
Suggestions?How would I know if Canon is good in this particular use?

The Macbook pro looks lovely, but I have not had the time or courage to do anything with it yet. Need help making it work, transfering stuff. Sigh. I have no patience learning about machines.

But, astonishingly, I now have an ipod, a laptop,a dvd player, a digital camera and a cellphone.(So far my cellphone is mostly used to tell the time. Expensive watch lol )

Whoo hooo! My god, I am almost civilized! But I bet it takes me years to figure out how to make it all function. Then I will either lose them, or they will have become obselete winkAh well...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
do you have an external hard drive andrea?

if you do, just plug it into your pc, copy everything onto it than plug it into your mac and copy everything off of it - easy! biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
oh, have not actually bought one of those yet, was planning to. Maybe that needs to happen today...
I can really just copy everything just like that! Fabulous. Well worth the money on the drive thingie I should say.
TX!
A

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the modern world, lady. ubblol

You'll be quite happy with your Mac I think. I love mine ubblove.

I second Cole on the external hard drive. Plus it's handy for backing things up.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Page: