Forums > Social Discussion > Strangest Thing You've Been Told While Spinning.....

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Last night, while I was completely sucking:
"Do you study kung-fu?"

...*shaking head*

How 'bout you guys? Strangest thing you've ever been told while spinning or about your playing?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
'Wow! You're like your own mini-rave everywhere you go!'

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
'I thought you were having a fist fight with the devil who was invisible and the glowy things were your powers!'

Yes he was wasted...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I'm not really into horoscopes or astrology (?) and as a bit of a sceptic I had a good laugh when this one woman was blown away by my performance and came to talk to me about the fire element. She asked for my sign and when I said 'Crab" she was really confused and disappointed.. I guess she thought she had me figured out.. ubblol

Point your toes.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I had a woman tell me that she couldnt stop thinking about 9/11 when she watched our uv show. My trousers looked a bit like firemans pants. She was really into it. Freaky...

Love is the law.

422 posts

Posted:
There were some other really good ones from last night.

"So.... let me get this straight. You like glowsticks, but not E?" - random bystander

"I don't know what Fisting the Fairy is, but I want in on it!" - second random bystander who walked in on a conversation about different names for the same moves.

"NO! I know what I'm doing, and I don't need your help." *crash* "Where did you say to have my hands?" - some chick after I tried to warn her to that the placement of her hands was going to lead to a nice, hard crash- silly ravers with their hands side-by-side to butterfly while using my poi.

We were out celebrating the birthday of a person who is aptly described as Johnny Bass Needs Beer and Johnny Bass 120 Proof at a goth/industrial party, so there were also many joking references to Combichrist's "Happy F-ing Birthday." If you know Johnny Bass, I urge you to tell him that.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
fisting the fairy? ubblol

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
'how do the balls stay that far away dfrom your hands all the time, Magnets?'
(i use string, not chains, so it's not easy to see) ubblol

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Juxtaposeur

'I thought you were having a fist fight with the devil who was invisible and the glowy things were your powers!'

Yes he was wasted...

ohhhhhh, thats so how i'm going to explain what firetwirling is next time someone asks! biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I've been told that the best thing about my spinning is the look on my face... umm
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1162470838)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
the common

" is that real fire "

and

"is that stick is stuck to you, why is it not falling off? "

and my personal favourite

" dude are you david copperfield " by a another drunk biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
"you could seriously hurt someone with those"

- yes but they are spinning around glowing so they're only a danger if you walk into them on purpous

Silly ravers *ahem* redface wink

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

the common

" is that real fire "

ubblol I've never fire twirled among people who weren't either close friends or people who also spun, so I've never gotten that one personally, but I have heard plenty of stories about that.

I've never heard is the "stick glued to you," but I have been asked by a drunk...

"How do you control the motors on those things?" (re: poi)
My response, "Well, I have this things called synapses, and they take information from my brains down to my hands...."

And, once, from a rare non-spinner who watched fire spinning...
"Dude, is that hot?"

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

"How do you control the motors on those things?" (re: poi)

ubblol classic!

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Said (in all seriousness) by a policeman: *yeah, but I've got a gun"

422 posts

Posted:
Seriously? "I've got a gun."?!?!?

At risk of my own personal sanity, I must ask.... wtf brought about that statement?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
A few of us were spinning in a park, and some cops stopped cos there was a school disco nearby. Someone had called them, thinking we were kids setting fire to stuff... (usually cops here don't worry about people spinning.)

Anyway after we explained to the older one that we were using safe fuel, no we would not be setting the trees 50m away alight, showed them our safety gear etcetc, we were all standing around them in a circle. I said... ooooooh surrounded by fire toys eh. And the younger one said....

Wouldn't have been half as funny if he had been joking...

422 posts

Posted:
Lol. Nice.

Check this one out:

After several hours extolling the Russian culture (translation: downing several shots of vodka), I was lucky to be able to stand, let alone spin. But, somehow, my brother found me and procedes to inform me:

"You're just being lazy now."

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
umm:

whilst I was spinning with my tails: "Do you set those things on fire???" I almost replied "yes, because this material melts and makes cool affects!" but one of my friends answered first

"ooh! ooh! ooh! I used to do that! I was good!" *grabs poi and within 5 seconds smacks self in nuts*

"my ex-girlfriend does that... she's better than you" Not sure why I find this funny, possibly as I was compared to an ex???

Oh, and whilst my cousin was spinning one year (she didnt know how to use them at that point) "OOH!! poi people!" my cousin: "no, you're looking for her" I don't know why I find that one funny either.. probably the look on the face
EDITED_BY: Hanz (1162530679)

oO_Hell_Fire_Oonewbie
12 posts

Posted:
Hmm... while I was practicing poi (coz of course I aint a poi god - not yet ^^) someone asked me why I was moving one of my feet all the time... wtf, people looking at your feet while you spin umm biggrin

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
"he's using cold fire" - by just about every little kid who's seen me spinning. if you dont live in israel, israeli kids say to other israeli kids that those birthday firework things are "cold fire" and wont burn you, and then if you believe them you touch it and it's really hot

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Hanz

"ooh! ooh! ooh! I used to do that! I was good!" *grabs poi and within 5 seconds smacks self in nuts*

No spinner seems to be immune from either direct or indirect snubbing. While spinning my ghetto poi the other night, I had people come up to me and tell me flat out...

"I'm better than you are, let me show you."

Me, I know there are people FAR better than I. So, I handed over the poi, only to be showed a barrage of 3 beat weaves, corkscrew, and butterfly, just spun really fast, but no other moves. Just those three moves over and over and over again.

I laughed, thinking back to a thread somewhere on HoP about cool tricks that summed up to, "Spin faster."

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
"You should be in a circus"

Meant to be offensive, I think.

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
when i was spinning in a field near my house a couple of my friends saw me and said that i looked like an idiot redface you probably dont think thats funny, but it was totally funny when they said that they could do better, and then tried! lolsign they habent said it to me since! and although im no where near a good spinner (i just cant find the time nowadays!), ill always be better than them! biggrin which makes me happy

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
PsyRush... I've been asked if I'm in the circus by some little kid... I think it's a normal thing to be asked

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PsyRush

"You should be in a circus"

Meant to be offensive, I think.

Since my house always seemed to be giving shelter to at least one performer who did not actually live there at any given time, our (*as in the people I used to spin with in Atlanta) favorite response to things like that was always:

"No, we didn't run off to join the circus. The circus ran off to join us."
ubbrollsmile

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
stay still

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
on friday night i was practicing contact and my friends brand new staff arrived from HoP so we had a prac spin in the evening and were told 7 times over about 2 hours "wheres the fire?"

..............sif n00b

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

422 posts

Posted:
*giggle* "Where the fire?" Niice.

Now, personally, I think I'm a suckass spinner. I mean, I have 0 self esteem when it comes to my spinning, after being the the "baby" out of the group I used to play with. The youngest of the pack, with the least experience, and the only girl.

So, when I think that someone is a worse spinner than I, it says something.

And, when they pompously try to brag by saying, "Yeah, but I do it with fire..."

.... well, that's when I realize why they have no eyebrows.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
:jump:
i had some tails last night and a few drunk guys asked if i could light those

no

told em about the fire ones -they said that such poi were impossible and would explode...so be careful people

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I was spinning with a long staff on my 21st birthday, and one of my Irish descent friends told me to "hold it from the other end"

Clearly he doesn't spin :P

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Page: ...