Forums > Social Discussion > Strangest Thing You've Been Told While Spinning.....

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Last night, while I was completely sucking:
"Do you study kung-fu?"

...*shaking head*

How 'bout you guys? Strangest thing you've ever been told while spinning or about your playing?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: neverafter

oh and i can't forget the time i was removed from a highshool football game for carring "wepons"

Seriously? Because I've actually broken out in random spinning sessions in the middle of Atlanta-Hartsfield International Airport, and at Newark-Liberty Airport without any incident... well... barring the little old lady who shook her head at me, and the plethora of kids who just wanted to play, too. ubbrollsmile

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
at our local concert hall they are considered weapons
(which is why i created my deconstructable glow poi)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: neverafter

oh i get this one all the time.

"So, do you worship satan?"

When the documentary crew was following me around and filming for a week, one of the art directors constantly asked me if I worshipped Satan. The filmographer became very embarrassed and then very angry about it. I laughed at first, then after awhile, it was just annoying.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
that's really odd.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

3,556 posts

Posted:
in that case i must be a hell of a surprise

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

If your talking about the Rave, they don't allow glowsticks or LED's at all. It has nothing to do with with being wepons. It's because it's "a distraction to the performer", or so they tell me every time i'm there. Dosen't make much sense to me as most dj's have performed at undergrounds and clubs that allow glowsticking/stringing, but it's a rock club so no suprise.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
Some places just have stupid and strange rules about things.ubbloco
Mad props to Kathain_Bowen for spinning in the airport...I would have thought you would have been tackeled as soon as the first couple of rotations let fly. beerchug

Beyond the Continuum.

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: facelesshadow

Some places just have stupid and strange rules about things.ubbloco
Mad props to Kathain_Bowen for spinning in the airport...I would have thought you would have been tackeled as soon as the first couple of rotations let fly. beerchug

.... I do admit, it was only with Zuni Poi w/o the tails on, and tied down to a really tiny length (*about ten to twelve inches).

I didn't actually have any issues at the terminal. I did have issues at the security checkpoint in Atlanta, though. My long skirt with d-rings on it kept setting off the metal detector and earned me a "random" screening. Then, my purse made it worse when they saw a "hole" in my bad (*a 3" acrylic contact sphere). I ended up having to give a lame, novice demo in the screening area (*since I'm a lame novice at contact juggling).

That, and, for some odd reason, they seemed to think a Hello Kitty Sushi Stationary Set I brought home for a friend was a bomb.... peace

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Haha. A hello Kitty set as a bomb? Some of these security checkpoints are a jokeubbloco ! Though, I do suppose they do serve a good purpose though.
If they think a Hello Kitty set was a bomb...what in the world did they think the Contact Ball wasconfused? I am sure the show was a bit awkward at a security checkpoint which made you think it was a lame show...it probably wasn't as bad as you say! I am sure everyone around was like lolsign wow. If you need a vit of visual instruction there is always contact juggling.org.

Beyond the Continuum.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I walked out of a club in stoke one night holding a set of poi when two policemen walked over and asked me...

"Are they Nunchuks?"

ubblol

422 posts

Posted:
The Hello Kitty Sushi Stationary Set was really cute, and I had it all wrapped up in my checked luggage. But my bag had to be pulled, opened, ripped apart, marked with random tags, all sorts of good stuff. To this day, whenever I go through security, I just picture what the TSA officials' faces must have looked like when they opened it up.

"Oh no, it's a bomb! Oh....wait... it's Hello Kitty... nevermind... false alarm!" biggrin

And, the demo was mighty novice. Just over the index, pinky, and top. The TSA people clapped at the end, and I managed to stop the whole screening line I'd been pulled from for a few minutes. But it was still very lame and novice.

3,556 posts

Posted:
 Written by: acidchild

Written by: faithinfire

If your talking about the Rave, they don't allow glowsticks or LED's at all. It has nothing to do with with being wepons. It's because it's "a distraction to the performer", or so they tell me every time i'm there. Dosen't make much sense to me as most dj's have performed at undergrounds and clubs that allow glowsticking/stringing, but it's a rock club so no suprise.

they allow them you just have to buy them from their vendors
at least that was the case last time

Faith

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
That was run by T.I.T.S, M.E.D.M, and outlawed productions. The only involvement the rave had was the venue cause it's the only place a party that size could happen, the only leagl place anyway.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

fireflyfaeriejourneyman
73 posts

Posted:
the other day someone was saying how they cud do it rele rele easily, so i handed him my poi, he began to spin then all of a sudden he hit he self the in u know wats lol

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I had that many a time today and then ihad the "wow that was awesome" on me doing a really fast 3bt because i was bored then they didnt even say anything about the hyperloop from 3 bt i did

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Not a lot of people would understand the complexity of some tricks unless they are paying alot of attention...I have gotten that type of ooooo ahhhh reaction to the simpler trickes, and no reaction to the complex tricks as well. lol

Beyond the Continuum.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
it's all about how you sell it... wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

silly_rillyBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
I was spinning in the park a while back and had a crack head came up to me and said
"You're like a freakin' ninja! So, do you like... kill people with those?"

people on drugs amuse me. XD

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
hehe, you should have gone "yeah..." and started walking towards him.

3,556 posts

Posted:
i find people's presumptions of people of drugs funny

Faith

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
 Written by: silly_rilly

I was spinning in the park a while back and had a crack head came up to me and said
"You're like a freakin' ninja! So, do you like... kill people with those?"

people on drugs amuse me. XD

You should have said, "No, only an apprentice. If I was a Ninja you wouldn't see me wink...and I don't have the heart yet to kill people asking questions about the sacred art! But that wont stop the four other guys you don't see eek...run along now!"

Then again, depending on my mood, biggrin I am a bit sarcastic when it comes to things like that.

Beyond the Continuum.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Got a new one last night. biggrin

Some guy came up to me and asked what I was doing - I was spinning some glow poi in the street at night. I told him there were lots of different types of poi and told him of fire-poi.

The words he said as he watched me twirl were:

"Oh... I set fire to my fence once...*
Long pause.
"I wish I hadn't done it now."
Another pause.
"I got chucked out of my place. I cant change it."
He sounded almost psychopathic.

I stopped spinning at that point and went back inside. tongue

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
this doesn't quite fit thid thread, but i'm not starting a new one for it.
i had a really strange dream the other night where i was watching some spunky spinners and comeing up with ways to insert names of particular tricks into pick up lines. in the dream i came up with quite a few, but i can only remember a couple of lame ones like 'if i got you into isolation we could do the horizontal weave' (i did warn they were lame!)
unfortunatly i didn't get the chance to use them in the dream so i don't know if they worked.
it was all a bit odd ubbloco

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Even if they did work in the dream...I would love to see you try them in the real world! I think that would be hilarious to see! ubbrollsmile lolsign

Beyond the Continuum.

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:

Even if they did work in the dream...I would love to see you try them in the real world! I think that would be hilarious to see! ubbrollsmile lolsign

yeah, most of my attempts to pick up are pretty hilarious ubblol i'm much better at match making other people than i am at sorting out my own love life rolleyes

Dr Suess

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
I don't know why but I am the same way...I can manage a relationship, but I am much better at helping other people with relationships.

I guess that is why I am going to be a Relationship Psychologist once I finish college. eek I know it is scary!

Beyond the Continuum.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

I don't know why but I am the same way...I can manage a relationship, but I am much better at helping other people with relationships.

I guess that is why I am going to be a Relationship Psychologist once I finish college. eek I know it is scary!

why didn't i ever think of that?

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:

that's great! last year when i was trying to find some direction life, i was drunkenly talking to a friend about the talents i had and how they could be converted into a career. i decided i would make a great match maker and 'flirt coach'...instead i'm becoming a librarian!

Dr Suess

daphnePLATINUM Member
91 posts

Posted:
the circus line.. I've heard it too a couple of times! As well as the martial arts line.

I'll tell you this...
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. "Jim Morrison"
"...but I, being poor, have only my dreams
I've spread my dreams under your feet
tread softly because you tread on my dreams..." Yeats

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tillymoo

that's great! last year when i was trying to find some direction life, i was drunkenly talking to a friend about the talents i had and how they could be converted into a career. i decided i would make a great match maker and 'flirt coach'...instead i'm becoming a librarian!

Well while you are just sitting around in the library you could maybe make a book about your other talent?!?!? Someone somewhere is bound to read it, someone always does! ubbrollsmile

Beyond the Continuum.

Page: ...