Forums > Social Discussion > Strangest Thing You've Been Told While Spinning.....

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Last night, while I was completely sucking:
"Do you study kung-fu?"

...*shaking head*

How 'bout you guys? Strangest thing you've ever been told while spinning or about your playing?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
I was spinning fire the other day and one of my mates made the cheerful comment 'I can't wait to see you set yourself on fire with those.'

Cheers, Em

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
funny
thats the reason my parents and new ex said when they didn't buy me fire poi for christmas

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Me and my friend out at the mall:

"Hey look! You're those fire twirlers!"

*friend looks at me wondering who this random person is* "Yes... Its.. Our super hero name!"

*later after guy left when having a convo with me*

Friend: "Who the heck was that??"

~*~*~

Random guy: "I can twirl better then you!" *grabs poi and 'butterflys' himself immediately afterwards.

(Lets just say, he kept quiet afterwards wink)

~*~*~

*walking through a car park while twirling staff after finishing twirling* *police pull us up* "Is that a golf club?"

ubblol

Thats all I can remember for now.

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

ElectricStaplernewbie
33 posts

Posted:
I've gotten the marry me thing before but i have no clue who it was. Ive gotten so many things at the same time all during my performance I have no idea what they were. Some of them were along the lines of, "I love your balls" and very frequently"Can I feel them?" on and off the stage. I make different replies every time.
I'd like to know what to do when you get the, "How do you do that?" It's simple but i have no idea what to tell them. Usually i tell them "Magic" or "I'm just really cool". biggrin

Life is a box full of chocolates. Its full of the gross coconut ones.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
ElectricStapler, this is mighty off topic, but I love your handle. *giggle* I used to call people "Staple Gun" when they kept talking to me like they knew me but never supplied a name. ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Kathain_Bowen (1171461589)

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Ummm, this is not quite a spinning one, but close enough...

Whilst practicing five clubs - which means throwing them up a few times and then dropping most of them - someone who was watching asked me;

"Why do you not keep going"

A valid question I suppose. I explained I was in the training stage, he seemed to accept this smile

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
next time, make up some story about making an offering to the Gods... if one stays up there, the Gods get to keep it (or something else just as lame)

RooxBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Glowpoi gig at a nightclub...

"Wow...it's like a spaceship has landed..."

^-^

Rebel. HA.

crazy_andynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
Ok, just got one tonight. We are out spinning fire, and this random drunk comes up and saks if he can drink the very black and sooty parafin in the dipping bucket :\

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
Crazy...that is totally nasty!eek But I can believe that a drunk would ask that!

Beyond the Continuum.

wolfcub3223BRONZE Member
128 posts

Posted:
i can believe it

Ich brauche Zeit
Kein Heroin kein Alkohol kein Nikotin
Brauch keine Hilfe
Kein Koffein
Doch Dynamit und Terpentin
Ich brauche Öl für Gasolin
Explosiv wie Kerosin
Mit viel Oktan und frei von Blei
Einen Kraftstoff wie Benzin

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
I was pacing back and forth across the top of a stone wall spinning zuni poi when a pickup with a couple guys in the back drove up and slowed next to me. One of them yelled out "Yo! It's that judo $#(T"

I almost fell off the wall laughing. ubblol

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
 Written by: crazy_andy

Ok, just got one tonight. We are out spinning fire, and this random drunk comes up and saks if he can drink the very black and sooty parafin in the dipping bucket :\

I've heard of that happening before. :s Doesnt surprise me in the slightest.

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Sock

One of them yelled out "Yo! It's that judo $#(T"

What kind of guys did they look like? Uneducated, hill billys?

Beyond the Continuum.

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
I've had:

"Is that real fire?" When I worked in a theme park I used to get asked if the water rides were "real water". Presumably, it's the same kind of 'special' person that comes out with these questions.

"WooooOoooo!OoooO!!!! Bruce LEE baby!" - by a drunk who started waving his arms around in what he thought was an imitation of me... Only I didn't fall onto my face.

My absolute favourite - "Do it with bricks!"

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Clairebe

I've had:

"Is that real fire?" When I worked in a theme park I used to get asked if the water rides were "real water". Presumably, it's the same kind of 'special' person that comes out with these questions

I seem to remember in the theme park, the answer was "Stick your hand in and see". I imagine a similar response would work with fire wink ubbloco
EDITED_BY: psycotic_furby (1172104494)

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
 Written by: psycotic_furby

I seem to remember in the theme park, the answer was "Stick your hand in and see". I imagine a similar response would work with fire wink ubbloco

Haha...I think that would be an awsom response. But I would never let someone be so stupid as to try it... ubbangel

Beyond the Continuum.

ZeRo10487newbie
8 posts

Posted:
I was spinning at a teen center because my friend's band was the nights entertainment...so in between sets I whipped out my Zunis. My favorite response was

"How are you doing that?" (granted at this time all I was doing was the forward spin because I was mouthing words to my friend setting up on stage)....O_o I wonder.

I got a few friends into poi, and they would say something about how quickly they are picking it up and how its not that hard. I respond with "Yeah, wait till you try it on fire." They are like O_O "What?!"

Some other favorite responses:
"Dude, your hot....literally!" (with fire poi obviously)
"What the hell's the point of that?"
"That looks retarded there's only like 10 moves someone can do."
"What are those called? Koi?"
"That would be funny if he (my friend was spinning) lit himself on fire...like seriously, I would laugh. In fact, i hope he does light on fire."

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
the commonest one in China so far:

"Is that Chinese gongfu/taiji?"

(usually it's chinese people asking me that: it's usually gongfu first when I'm practising staff, and taiji first when spinning poi: go figure)

Oh and a lot of surprised faces when I tell them it comes from New Zealand! tongue

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
oh yeah and the other one I get when spinning staff sometimes:

'You are like Monkey King!' (chinese legend reference)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

ardenterSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
Here's one I've gotten a few variations on...

"You're like a damn ninja or something!"

Not just a ninja, it's always a "damn ninja".

DarranSILVER Member
19 posts

Posted:
I got asked by a kid while spinning my staff,
Kid>What is that thing?
Me>its a fire staff
Kid>How much did it cost you?
Me>About £40
Kid>Wana sell sell it for £10?
Me>Lmao

biggrin

Im sure ill get more funny ones

The path of my life is strewn with cow pats from the devil's own satanic herd.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ZeRo10487

Some other favorite responses:

"That would be funny if he (my friend was spinning) lit himself on fire...like seriously, I would laugh. In fact, i hope he does light on fire."

Well I must say that one sounds like it came from a wanabe "Valley Girl"...LIKE TOTALLY! ubbloco ubblol

Beyond the Continuum.

starmelloBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
the other day this really scary looking bloke came up to me while i was spinning to ask me if i was "doing that in the olympics" he ended up trying to convince me to call the olympic commitee and have it added as a sport! lol

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
You know......that would be very interesting to have poi as an olympic sport. However, I think that it would cheapen the art of it all a little. Then it would all become about who can pull off the 36 beat weave the best...ubbloco But who knows, it might not. Though I do think that it would have some sort of effect on the performance community, whether good or bad probably in both directions.

Beyond the Continuum.

giftedweaselBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
I feel poi should be kept as a largely non-competitive as possible... If you are better than someone, you ought to teach them If they wish, and you can....

that's my thought anyway...

[edit:

oh, and on topic, I get told to 'stop playing with my balls' quite a lot while juggling in the school corridors...]
EDITED_BY: giftedweasel (1175707697)

GiftedWeasel

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
had a classic in town the other day from a rent a cop type effort who told me to "you know your not allowed to play ball games here" i then spent 5 mins giving him very detailed infomation about how it was a morai dance prop and not a bliming ball game before telling him he dosnt just suck he blows and walking off with him shouting at me "if i see you doin that again i will detain you"

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I had a good one the other day while fire-twirling:

Chav girl: "So what happens if you die?"

I didn't quite know what to say to that. "Errr, well some people believe your immortal soul is judged by the lord and you either go to Heaven or burn in HELL for eternity... or you come back as a dolphin" would have been a good answer in retrospect. wink

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
MikefromGlos, mad props! I do believe he deserved every bit of the razzing you gave him. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, poi should never be illegal. And to any person that says otherwise, up theirs! He was just mad that you told him off, and exposed his ignorance.

Sambo_Flux: Don't you always hate thet you can come up with the best responses 5 minutes later!?!?! angry

Beyond the Continuum.

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
 Written by: facelesshadow

Sambo_Flux: Don't you always hate thet you can come up with the best responses 5 minutes later!?!?! angry

Heh. The French call it "esprit d'escalier" - roughly 'Staircase wit', or something you think of as you walk away from a situation.

Or maybe it's made up french, but still, it happens enough that there's a pretentious sounding phrase to describe it!

Sorry, off-topic...

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

Page: ...