Forums > Social Discussion > Strangest Thing You've Been Told While Spinning.....

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Last night, while I was completely sucking:
"Do you study kung-fu?"

...*shaking head*

How 'bout you guys? Strangest thing you've ever been told while spinning or about your playing?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Azrael_AngelofDeathSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Naturally I too have a recent story of a cocky neighbour. In most areas he can do anything I can do ALOT better than me. Upon seeing me swinging my practice poi around he snatched them from my hands telling me I was doing it wrong - you did it like this...

...my response to his 'teaching' was something like - I can't do dat dude, I dont have nuts to hit and the fetal position on wet grass doesnt look like fun.

However, he still maintains he knows what he is doing (even after hitting himself three times in a row) - he is NEVA touching my fire! Silly boy

I'm insanity on a stick, dipped in chocolate and served with a highly caffeinated beverage...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
*wince* that's the main reason I never really took to poi, I'm FAR too attached to those parts of my anatomy ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

HiltunenBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
'Can I play with your balls?'
'Sorry, they're booked to some other girl.'
'No I mean those hangig from the chains.'

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I remember being deployed and I was spinnin' my glo-poi outside of the barracks. My First Sargent walked up to me and asked if I was calling in mortars?

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
was drunk so i stuck with my makeshift glo so i wouldn't hurt myself, and i showed a few people and one of course says "ooh i can do that"
he gets a poi going in a nice fig 8, "but how do you make them work?"
about the same time, a teen comes by and asks if i was rolling, gave him death look, he backed away quickly
and then the bouncer comes out to grab beer from guy who brought it outside with us, the bouncer takes a big step back and his eyes get wide and acts all scared
the bouncer scared of my sock in sock poi

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

422 posts

Posted:
I recently tried to explain to a coworker how to do poi....

her response was a little shocked expression and the statement "People can actually DO that?'

.... *sigh* it came out before I could stop it. I had a total word vomit moment. "No, we're just creating an elaborate illusion to fool you and only you."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
have i mention bf refers to them as my little poi thing, and well, what if i called it his little nunchuck thing, or...no that would just be mean

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I was walking along a wide path with a young lad showing him how to do a horizontal stall behind his back.. we were talking about watching what you were doing for accuracy and knowing exactly where they were etc...when someone rushed up and started to abuse us HEAPS for doing horrible dangerous things that were going to hit babies in the eye and blind them. So we did 3 beat weaves really fast with our eyes shut instead. No we didn't. We made pathetic noises and looked stunned. confused

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
Dude, your balls are changing colour!!

To which I replied; 'That's not good, I'll get the doctor to take a look at that'

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
all of the comments here are hillarious!
people can be some dumb at times....

i got one, but it wasnt me fire spinning.
i was at a party, and the staff spinners was leaking flaming kerosene from his staff, and just about burning everyone. he even hit this chick on her hair and she started to go nuts!
so i told to one of his friends: wait man, shouldnt he spin away the excess kerosene before he spins?
he answered: he knows what he`s doing..
so i gues the crew`s plan IS actually to do a fire genocide on all the ravers...

Love is Life

422 posts

Posted:
I wish I could find the video now. I had seen a video on YouTube with some guy fire spinning. Towards the middle of the video, the gentleman goes into some really hot and slick behind the back stuff.

It is the camera-man that cracked me up, as you hear him say....

"Dude, whatever you do, don't fart!"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
mm, yeah, "why are you doing that" seems fairly common but people forget as it comparatively seems a normal thing to ask.

"because it's FUN" (or 'I enjoy it') I figure is the best short answer still smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Nadojourneyman
61 posts

Posted:
I've had the whole "Are you in the circus" thing, i managed to bite back the smart ass comment that was about to come out and inform him i only do it for fun.

I was talking to some random people who had come to watch our weekly fire twirling get together and one of them asked "Isn't it dangerous" i replied "Only if we don't like you" and gave them a big cheery grin. hehehehe to their credit they found the funny side of it

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I was told "Take it off baby!"...wt..? confused

I love when people scream out "That's not real fire." Huh?

It always makes me laugh. So does the cold fire, the circus ones, the "does that hurt" ("only when it sticks" is my response), and the it's not so hards (LOVE those).

A juggler walked up and asked me, in front of an audience "What fuel do you use?" (hi, big no-no there buddy).

I told him gypsy fire water and he nodded and walked away. He later asked my assistant where to buy it. ubblol

My favorite, and I've gotten it twice from two people "Will you marry me?" my response "Right now?"

Last year I was told "Dude, your balls are on fire." by a drunk. My response "I have balls????"

I had a firemen ask me if I wanted a gas mask.

Oh! I was just reminded of my favorite!

I do hugs on an audience member in my shows. There was one show for about 600 school children visiting the Ren Faire I was working at, so I pick a male adult out of the crowd and do the hug on him, at which point I kissed his cheek.

Immediately following that I heard...

"Hey! That's my dad and he's married!"

The show actually stopped for a moment because we were all laughing so hard. biggrin
EDITED_BY: Pele (1168925975)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

422 posts

Posted:
See, I love the "It's not so hard"s and the "I can do better"s when they crack themselves either on the head or the delicate boy-bits. That's always the best!

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
"ah i can do that - easy "

he changes his mind after a few knocks on the head, actiallygot two stiches from my sock poi..

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
"What fuel do you use?" (hi, big no-no there buddy).

i didnt understand that bit, firespinners keep secrets of which fuel they use? =#

Love is Life

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pinkadelic

"What fuel do you use?" (hi, big no-no there buddy).

i didnt understand that bit, firespinners keep secrets of which fuel they use? =#

i think it was the fact that it was in front of an audience who may be very easily influenced and want to try it themselves.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: StainedWhisper

"ah i can do that - easy "

he changes his mind after a few knocks on the head, actiallygot two stiches from my sock poi..

Now that's impressive!

What did you have in those socks...beaming balls? ubblol

Pinkadelic, TMSMN has it exactly, not in front of an audience. In fact, my insurance said specifically that I can not tell any non-participating or authority party what I use. It's bad form to interupt a show anyway, but for that, even dumber. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Trade Secrets Blah aside, you could argue that if the audience are as easily influenced as you say then wouldn't it be better to tell them the safer fuel to use rather than have them try it with petrol or white spirit?

Not telling them to me sounds akin to not telling a kid what the is the best for of contraception, you know, JUST IN CASE they go and have sex! tongue

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
Dave, you have a point there, but if your insurance specifies that you can't disclose what fuel you use then I guess you have to stick with that.

If your insurance doesn't specify that however, then I agree that it's better to educate people rather than conceal the truth.

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
Neon Shaolin, ur right dude.
not t hat i wan na go against ANYONE!! to each his rights.
but, i think that if you share your knowledge with someone, instead of hiding it from himself, and leading him to be dumb, he will be dumb, an d get burned.
sure, people that dont know shouldnt light fire, but how can you keep them from doing it? no way.
so th best way is teaching them to do it right. =/
u dont let them know, than th e guy will light up pois using alcohol =/
this is a great art, the way to go is fellowship, whats the problem with sharing?
if he interupted you in the mid of a show, u should stop, kick his ass, and then go on. i had an accident in this... got a scar in my elbow cos of this!
int eh start of the show, ask the audience not to interrupt you, its not that hard...
Aloha

Love is Life

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Pink, that really is a lovely theory, reducing ignorance has to be the way forward; but if doing so invalidates a performer's insurance, there really is nothing you can do about it.
Insurance for public fire performance is not easy to come by, depending on where you live there may only be one company willing to sell you a policy, if that policy has constraints in it, you *have* to stick with them.
Without insurance, any decent event would not allow you to perform, and if you did perform without insurance, you run the risk having to find thousands in compensation if there is an accident that injures a member of the public who then sues.

422 posts

Posted:
Getting back on topic- I actually had two genuinely hilarious comments on Friday night.... my brother and I went to the small club in Newark we frequent, but found it to be a disappointing evening. So, I decided to goof off and attempt to spin poi on one of the boxes (*because they're rarely unoccupied) and found myself under attempting to spin under massive downdraft from the heater and the fan.

This guy walks up and says, "Wow, just wow. You have a real talent. But I do that the real way."

.... my heart fluttered for a moment. Did I just hear right? The "real" way? Could this be a fire spinner in NJ, and relatively close to home? Dare I hope? So I asked if he was a fire spinner....

"Nah, I do it the real way, without the strings."

.... so, I went outside to partake of my once monthly clove and to darn near freeze my butt off, and was chatting with some people. This other guy walks up to me and asks if I was the person spinning the lights around. I replied to the positive.

At which point, he says, "Yeah.... you made me get lost."

... it was a most confusing evening for me.... and I wasn't even drunk.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
"It can't be done!" "Do it naked!"

Soton Circus Soc rocks. :P

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
"Ever killed yourself whilst doing that?"

I think he meant to say hurt. smile

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: McAlpine

"Ever killed yourself whilst doing that?"

..... you need to watch some Bill Engvall and come up with a great "Here's Your Sign" response should you be asked that a second time. ubblol

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
...without strings?

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FoxInDocs

...without strings?

.... yeah... I made some ghetto poi at the last minute (being rather put off by the fact that a guest dj was spinning rather piss-poor music) and decided to salvage what was left of the evening by spinning LED sticks tied to shoelaces.... which is surprisingly hard to do when caught in the current of a heat downdraft and an industrial fan.... However, admittedly, this means they were on strings...

The man in question kept insisting the real way to do it was without strings. I shrugged it off, but, as he walked off, I made for damned sure to do some things that would just look silly if you attempted them liquid dancing. Like TTN. Think about it. It would look really funny. ubblol

neverafterSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
oh i get this one all the time.

"So, do you worship satan?"
oh and i can't forget the time i was removed from a highshool football game for carring "wepons"

Page: ...