Forums > Social Discussion > Strangest Thing You've Been Told While Spinning.....

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Last night, while I was completely sucking:
"Do you study kung-fu?"

...*shaking head*

How 'bout you guys? Strangest thing you've ever been told while spinning or about your playing?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
when i first started playing with bundgy chux in the park there was a woman and her kid walking pass suddenly the kid looked round and shouted "LOOK MUM ITS A NINJA" gave me a chuckle smile

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
You clearly WEREN'T a ninja if he could see you... tongue

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
When i was doing some contact at a gig at a festival, i heard some pissed guy say 'f%*k me he's not even using his hands, thats not possible'
I liked that one.
Then there is the always original 'got a light mate?' they always think they are being sooooo clever

"Don't do it naked!"

422 posts

Posted:
Ok, Sandy, I've got a great one for you. At fair, we used these kind of beat-up spheres that had been around the block one too many times for demos. But, with all the haze on the outside and the brightness of the summer sun, they kind of look like they glow from the inside.

So, me, thinking I'm cute, decide to tell children too young to really learn when they ask how it works, "Fairy magic!"

One day, this backfired on me when a child snatched the sphere out of my hand and started SLAMMING it on the ground. His mom tried to catch him, and asked him why he would do something like that....

His reply : "I'M TRYING TO SET THE FAIRY FREE FROM THIS MEAN LADY."

*shaking head*

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i was once asked if i was gareth gates confused2

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Were you in Jordan at the time...?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

You clearly WEREN'T a ninja if he could see you... tongue

lol your right next time im gona hide in a tree and jump them biggrin

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I had the same experience as Hanz. I'd brought my poi along to let my mate have ago, and when everyone saw shiny lights you could just see their eyes go 'ooooooo'.

Anyways, one guy, very annoying guy who is completely big-headed came over and said "i used to do that when i was over in thailand, except with fire of course", *rolls eyes* then he reached out for them (without consent) and started to do the 3bt weave, but to show off did it reeeeally fast...bad idea. You can kinda guess what happened, although finding my batteries that had fallen out afterwards was difficult when in hysterics!

I think the best part was when later on, my mum said that "it was the funniest thing she'd seen all day", and she was on the other side of the castle! (We were doing a play...) ubblol Hahaha, the number of people that must have seen clap classic

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Then there is the always original 'got a light mate?' they always think they are being sooooo clever

just tell them "sure, but watch the eyebrows/eyelashes/beard/nose hair"

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I was hanging out some friends at a party and spinning some glows around. One of my friends says "hey do that spinny trick!"

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Not said while spinning, but I reckon it deserves an honourable mention..

Written by: Drunk man looking at 3 radical fish clubs on the floor

Whose bagpipes are those?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Not said while spinning, but I reckon it deserves an honourable mention..

Written by: Drunk man looking at 3 radical fish clubs on the floor

Whose bagpipes are those?

oh thats easily the best!

i'd like some radical fish clubs, i need to get some new ones before i move out next feb.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poiboy

Written by: ]Then there is the always original 'got a light mate?' they always think they are being sooooo clever [/quote

just tell them "sure, but watch the eyebrows/eyelashes/beard/nose hair"

I always found the best thing to do in this case is say 'yes', then take a lighter out of your pocket and light it for them.

the crowd love it too... if theres a crowd.

Love is the law.

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Me too had the curious "is it real fire?" as well as the philoshic "why are you doing this ?" comment.

A friend staffer who was to lazy to shake-off before lighting up had a complaint from someone about petro spots on his formerly snowwhite shirt - so shake off well.

But overall reaction is nearly always very positive - something I honestly didnt anticipate when I started poi.

Compare that to the "I hope he breaks his neck" comment I once got on a sunny Sunday afternoon in a beautiful forest from a elderly man who saw us rock climbing and then walked straight over our rope. (But other times I got applause for climbing too ...)

422 posts

Posted:
Last night in the parking lot of a club after watching some sparring with kendo staffs:

"Wait! You're that spinny girl?!?!?"

And

"Make the pretty lights."

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Someone came up to me in the office the other day and said "I saw you outside playing with your giant conkers the other day" ubblol @ giant conkers, I didnt know what he was talking about for a minute

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

the common
"is that real fire?"

At Clapham today, me and Doug (Just Another Clown) were spinning, and we got invaded by a group of chavs (one of them was wearing a balaclava, swear to god), and the first thing that got said was "is that real fire?". I was cracking up, it totally put me off my spinning.

Then we got the old "do you set your hair on fire?" at which point Dug tapped his head lightly with his lit staff and said "sometimes", and the one of the the chavs turned round and said "geezers lost the plot bruv" ubblol

I nearly wet myslef

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I was spinning on the beach a couple of weeks ago, and 2 seperate sets of people came up to my other half (who was being safety/photographer) and said:

"oooh, that looks dangerous", as if we might not have realised. I think he just replied "yeah, that's why I'm staying over here".

Oh, and did anyone hear the news about the pope being catholic?

We have a juggling clug at my school (I'm a teacher) and we get a lot of passers by asking the poisters "why are you doing that?" usually because they assume it's easy. I just hand them a pair of sock poi (we have club equipment) and ask them to show me how it's done. Bizarrely, telling them that I do it with fire seems to be a satisfactory explanation to their question, as if it's daft to be spinning poi, but fire poi, well that's not daft at all.....

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
The first time some friends saw me spin:

Friend 1: "There's not really much to it though is there?"
Me (handing over socks): "Go on then."
Friend 1(flails arms around wildly for a few seconds until..): "Oooff!!" (does a passable impression of a concertina.)
Friend 2 (taking socks from Friend 1): "hahahahaha!!! No, like this..." (even swifter concertina impression)

The joys of having cocky friends ubblol

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
yeah my parents have been wholey unimpressed, but they refuse to try it
when my bf first saw it he said "oh i can do that, cause i do numchucks"
then, he quickly proceeded to smack himself in the back of the head with the tailed poi
"let me try the sock ones, the tails are getting in the way"
proceeded to hit himself in a region significantly lower than his face
hehheh

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
While getting a friend to stand close while I spin around him: "Aw thats so cute!" smile

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

kinny_bBRONZE Member
50 posts

Posted:
28th Oct, Psy Rave... Me, on a hill, fire spinning.....
Random Bloke 'Ever set your hair on fire with them???'
Me 'Nah, dont think its actually possible'
Then i looked right to see a random person who i have never met...with one of his fake dreads on fire!!!!!!
Me (being out of my nut!) 'oh yeah, so you can do it!'
Oops!!! No damage done tho!!! think ill stand way back from the crown next time...

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
At school today:

Is that a sex toy?

ubblol

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

HiltunenBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
"So when you quit school, are you going to be a ninja?" Asked when I was spinning in our schools spare time room.

"Is that a weapon of some kind?" I think this is quite common, at least it has come up pretty often when I've been seen out doors.

Today when I was walking home on dark streets and spinned to spend my time, people kept some respective (scared?) distance. No one said anything but fun it was to see them speed up their steps front of me.

flying_on_fireBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
hey look that guy has "numchucks", the chav then proceded to order me to give him my wallet and phone!!? wtf did he think he was doing?? biggrin

1,590 posts

Posted:
"do that bouncy move again"
ubblol
(the butterfly)

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
i often get,
"your furry balls are very kinky!"

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I often get

"ent it hot" Some random chav

"No not unless..."

Chav grabs hold of the entire wick inculding the metal screws which are real hot

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

1,590 posts

Posted:
ubblol Chavs are stupid ubblol

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

flying_on_fireBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
didnt say anything back just moved away quickly redface as lots of his mates were arriving, and poi arnt a gd weapon especially against knives! eek wink

Page: ...