AnthsonSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
I'm interested in using a mask to conceal my face during my fire poi performances, but the problem is the only masks I own are not 100 percent cotton. They're mostly polyester, really. I'd like to get a face mask that looks really sleek, but won't melt onto my skin should I ever hit my face with a fire head. Any ideas?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
what kind of mask exactly? my first thought was of some rather funky leather leaf masks I saw some time ago..

lots of cool leafy leather masks here
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1162325609)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Erota Leather is a great place that does fantastic work

the stuff is 100% leather, which is perfect for fire (why I got it)

The piece they did for me can be seen here

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

AnthsonSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
Holy crap, those masks look fantastic. I can't find your mask on their site, though I have seen tons there I'd love to order. Thanks for the link, Firenice!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
That's because mine's custom biggrin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Heh, I have to use a paint ball mask when I spin my fire bowl since it sprays so much.

Non-Https Image Link

Wow. That picture is huge. My bad.

I wouldn't recommend it for poi though. It's bulky and somehow distances yourself from the toy making it tougher to wrangle. But the visibility is excellent.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnthsonSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
I've played recball quite a bit, so I know what you're saying about paintball masks being restrictive. I've got a few lying around the house and I might just break one out for spinning wire wool, now that you mention it, NYC.

Firenice ... any chance you'd be comfortable telling me what you paid for that mask? I saw their custom stuff and it looks pretty expensive, but your mask seems really simplistic, so I thought it might not cost as much.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
pm sent

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'd be cautious about wire wool.

I could see it quickly melting through the visor and hitting skin.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

wyldmajikBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
I make leather masks. i started making them just so i could use them when spinning fire and have found that i just love making them. you can see the basics of my stock on https://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~firefairies/MasksByAdamHouston.htm i am also happy to discuss the options of custom masks

Ultimately you understand there is order in the universe, even if there is no order in your immediate circumstances.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
WOOOOOOOOW - beautiful masks!!! *drools*

How's it spinning with them?

How much are these darlings? Adam? fNi? *checks erota eek eek eek WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... - drops out* That's a killing.... errm... ADAM! wink ubblol

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

wyldmajikBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Firetom. I dont find them to hard to spin in more than anything it is just a case of learning to spin with the slight restriction on vision. i currently have stock of all the masks on the webpage exept the raven/crow as i sold the last one of those to Medicine Crow not that long ago. however the raven masks are fairly simple to make. all the prices are on the website in australian dollars. the price does not include postage. i now also accept paypal payments or will once i figure out exactly how it all works.

fore more specific details you can email me at masks@firefae.com feel free to drop me a line if you want to know more

Ultimately you understand there is order in the universe, even if there is no order in your immediate circumstances.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
as majik said, the only difference is a slight reduction in vision, particularly around the peripheray. the nice thing about erota i found was that she was really open to a custom job and it wasn't relatively expensive compared to stock masks.