Forums > Help! > Braiding -8-4 circular

Login/Join to Participate

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I've had a look around, and almost found one resource, but the page isn't there any more.

I want to start making a fire whip, and i've run into a fairly significant problem - i don't know how to braid anything more than a very basic 4 strand circular. Possibly even square, i can't really tell.

Is there anybody out and about that can do funky braiding things, or knows where resources are? I'm wanting to go from 8 strands gradually down to 4, but i really dunno how to do it. I guess it could be possible to just use the same idea as the four way braid, and drop a core, but does that look pooey?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
my only suggestion.. pm the bovril monkey smile

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
My suggestion would be to contact Riz (https://www.firewhip.com/), he knows what he's doing with whips a lot more than I do. Not sure how he'll take to being asked how to make something he sells, but he's a nice bloke from all I've heard.

How wide are the strands you're going to be using and how wide d'you want the widest part of the whip?

For the actual braiding, 4,8,12,16,etc(in multiples of 4) are all fairly similar. I found the numbers between those are a bit more difficult, but fairly easy to scale up once you've got the pattern.

I'll try to dig out some links a bit later, I'm currently at work so don't have a great deal of time at the moment.

edit.. woohoo internet at lunchtime smile

I learnt a lot from reading Ron Edwards' How to Make Whips book (ISBN: 0870335138).

It's unsuprisingly based around making leather whips, but with kevlar you'll probably not be able to taper the strands, so you'll have to drop them to make the whole whip taper.

Have a look here, there's a few hints for dropping strands.

EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1162302213)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Thanks bov smile

I've got a fair idea of how i want to do most of the rest of it, it's just the actual braiding that i don't know how to do. I'm also not sure about what i'll be using as a core, but i'll prolly make a couple of mockups and see how i go without one.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
there's another site Josh did bring it up ? somewhere

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Bovs braiding beats beefy bells before bees behinds.

(its really good smile )