Page:
RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Quote Wikipedia:

[Quote]Popping (a.k.a. hitting) is a funk dance and street dance style based on the technique of quickly contracting and relaxing muscles to cause a jerk in the dancer's body, referred to as a pop or a hit. This is done continuously to the rhythm of a song in combination with other mime-style movements.[/Quote]

[Quote]Popping is also used as an umbrella term for a group of illusionary dance styles and techniques that are often combined with popping to create a more varied performance. The effect of popping as entertainment hinges on an almost-surrealistic contrast between the human dancer and the unnatural moves performed.[/Quote]

Having been amazed by the combination of popping and contact juggling recently, i've been feeling inspired to try it myself.

After searching the net for a bit I've found various performances, practice sessions and tutorials and gave it a go (to very little success so far...)

Does anyone know is their a "Home of Popping" or something similar or is it more split up? I've not found a website that gives tutorials or somewhere people share what they learn?

Where can we find more tutorials?

Popping conventions?

Anyone combining popping with poi, staff, etc?

What about mime? Where do all the mime artists hang out?

Whats your favorite popping video?

Favorite Popping Vids:

Cephalopod vs Dementia - Love the guy in white t-shirts style (Cephalopod?)

Roboting by Japanese dance crew "U-Min" - dance and theatrics

Sevenshadows? - Check out mr animations crazy backwardness at the start...rest of the vid is nothing special

Hyun Joon body popping - crazy korean popper

Liquid dancing:

LiquidPopCollective - Liquid Tutorial

LiquidPopCollective - Digits Tutorial

You can also find full routines from a few of the LPCs from these vids

LPC eric 1

LPC eric 2

Tutorials:

Popping Basics

inventfmc popping tutorial 1 - hitting and the fresno

invenfmc popping tutorial 2 - Hitting, Fresno, Dimestopping, Airposing, Strobing

robhiphop waving tutorial - waving for total beginners

robhiphop gliding tutorial

Websites:

Ezboard - check out mrwiggles.biz forum. Break + Funk styles forum

ContactJuggling.org - check forums -> "The Isolation Chamber" -> "more dance links"

Anyone with more information shout it out

smile

Ronan

p.s. any idea why my quoting isn't working?

EDITED_BY: Ronopotamus (1171556514)

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
search you tube for 'david elsewhere'

a master if anything...

Petey: "i just finished a rubiks cube, from completely shuffled to not, in 1 minute 57 seconds "

Experiencing people is the best experience of all.

Govenor of Flynt's Ass...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Elsewhere does indeed rock, but he's got a very unique style which isn't really popping, much more liquid and waving (i.e. very few hits/locks) - lots of character stuff too.

A wicked site is www.style2ouf.com - It's in French, but has some wicked clips on it.

There used to be a good forum at www.reflective.net haf-associated with the LPC (Liquid Pop Collective), a group of "Liquid Poppers" including LPEric who is sick at combing liquid and popping. The forum is mostly for liquid, but does have other styles too - haven't been there recently as it seemed to be overtaken by lots of people slagging each other off.

www.detoursvideo.com home of Elsewhere and the rest of the Detours dance collective - wicked DVD, get the Extended Trails one smile

www.mrwiggles.com - Very good dancer, not a huge fan of his site mind you...

Er...None others that immediately spring to mind.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh - questions biggrin

Where can we find more tutorials?

See above wink

Popping conventions?

Er...not that I know of. B-boy championchips in Brixton most years.

Trying to combine with poi. Mostly at the footwork stage, but some moves lend themselves to upper body stuff.

In Paris, dressed in stripey tops with white faces wink

Whats your favorite popping video?

Er...I still love LPErics "Liquid Dancing". "The Floor is my Canvas" section on the extended trails DVD of the Detours vid is wicked. Drew posted a cool group video of ragdoll/popping stage show, when the guys were all puppets. Think it might be on MoM somewhere smile

[edit]Oooo there's a second one of Eric -

biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ronopotamus

I dunno, I did have a few contact numbers but I never got answer whenever I rung shrug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ubblol :slap with wet fish:

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Durbs - Make mine a Sea Bass... tongue

I have (and I use the term loosely) attempted to merge body-popping with doubles staff as both disciplines are loosely about the different ways of making random geometric shapes with your body (The doubles being an extension of your body). With LOTS of practice it could look pretty sweet...

Poi will be harder to do but not impossible - you're only limited by your imagination...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
There are loads of wicked Popping videos on the net... Search youtube for key words such as 'Boogaloo' ' popping' 'Tuts' 'Waves' etc etc...

A favourite group of mine are the Animation Crew from Korea, I think... and U-min... U-min are wicked... Search for a guy named Zero...he's a bit sick...

As for the people mixing popping with juggling... I've met a few... Check the Blog on www.ministryofmanipulation.com for further videos. www.contactjuggling.org has a small collective of 'Isolationists' we call ourselves...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Totally forgot about elsewhere... probably because i've watched his vids so often... however i've been trying to track down the Detours videos, which have unfortunately gone out of production. Does anyone have a copy or know where to find them? Is the extended trails out of production too?

"haven't been there recently as it seemed to be overtaken by lots of people slagging each other off."

there seems to be a very strange attitude among many poppers (just read some of the U-tube comments!ubbtickled), something to do with it being very competitive/just a different scene/once you start popping you turn into a gobshite/maybe the internet is just full of gobshites? wink

What are the chances of a HOP style website dedicated to pushing the evolution of the art, with a supportive community?

Nice one to everyone, recently i've been feeling like the net is something to feed off of, so keep the tasty info coming smile

Cheers

Ronan
EDITED_BY: Ronopotamus (1162424894)

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
dont let colin see this thread... :P

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ronopotamus

What are the chances of a HOP style website dedicated to pushing the evolution of the art, with a supportive community?

Ronan

good if somebody gets off his ass and makes one...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Nice one mcp, look forward to seeing it! :P

So anyone like popping and know how to make websites?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Cough.... Durbs.... cough...

(and he does a bit of popping/poi in the lighthouse vid... but only a little bit... we can poke him until he does more in Tralee biggrin)

Getting to the other side smile

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Phooey frown I won't be in tralee.

But I will be in Thailand instead biggrin

I'm gonna keep updating the first post in this thread with any interesting bits and bobs I find.

Anyone seem mrwiggles ezboard forum? Didn't have a very good look around looks like it could have quite a bit of info.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Bah... I forgot.

Oh well... sometime then smile

I'm sure you won't miss it too much biggrin

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Mr wiggles board is quite well respected in the popping community, and it's a great source for definitions and concepts, as well as tutorials and the like. That's where Colin gets a lot of his information from, that and searching youtube... wink

the only problem I find with searching for videos, is the amount of times that people have posted up Various Elsewhere videos... wink it takes a little digging to get to the gold as far as popping videos are concerned...

So, any particular moves/family of moves that people are working on at the moment?

I'm currently playing around with everything I can, but mainly focussing on hitting, waves, and animation. ANimation (basically) is making yourself look like a cartoon character, or even just giving yourself a character when you pop. The most classic example of this is the robot...

Hitting, whilst being the most fundamental part of popping, is actually damn hard to get right!! Methinks more than a few sessions at the gym are needed... wink

I've also found the best way to learn to pop well, is to get addicted. I'm constantly thinking about popping, and everywhere I go, I'm either practicing glides, or waves, or tuts, or something or other... you get some funny looks sometimes, but it's well worth it. Progression happens a lot faster...

smile I totally get what you mean about the attitude... i hate it too... "I'm better than you, blah blah blah..." Who cares? for me, it's all about having fun, learning more and more, and passing on that knowledge as well. I like to be open with knowledge, in the hope that others do the same...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Liquifies_Through_Contact

for me, it's all about having fun, learning more and more, and passing on that knowledge as well. I like to be open with knowledge, in the hope that others do the same...

yeah, whatever hippy rolleyes

wink tongue

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
For me 'Hitting' is easy - it's the visualising of new moves (and the scenarios of how to achieve them) that I find difficult because I'm not one to think about it too much. I'm too much of an instinctual creature...

Stuff like

Isolating objects that change shape - i.e height, width angle etc) run along imaginary, weird shaped tracks/conveyor belts, changing the centre of rotation.

I seem to work on pure train of thought with nary a thought about putting it into a routine...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
all you need is a big mirror dave...

they work wonders smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Makes two of us. But in your case not for popping... rolleyes

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
we already have one tongue

and no, it isn't on the ceiling wink

and for anyone not on cj.org, this thread has lots of lovely links.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
And from this day forward I shall refer to you as 'Narcissus'...

Speaking on monikers... Notice anything...? wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
narcissus?

but i don't even have a sister?!

notice me cunningly jumping on the ovid version there - thank god for wikipedia wink

biggrin i did notice your name by the way biggrin

i like it.

i like yoo hug2

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Would you like a sister...? wink

It's only a name dear... (You have J.A.C to thank as I found a trinket me made for me with that particular name. I felt sentimental and changed it back)

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
offtopic

nana

LTC: I've only become really interested in popping in the few months, and just the last few weeks really tried a few things, but looking forward to getting deeper into this world of movement.

At the moment, I've hurt my back (again! frown) so have been trying to get as much information as possible so once recovered i can do some serious practice.

At the moment gliding and sliding appeal the most to me, since they work with your legs and feet should (in ronan theory smile) be the easiest to combine with poi/staff/contact, etc.

However I discovered that my feet co-ordination is terrible! So will have to work alot to get this to work...

Also spinning and floating is some severe patting the head rubbing the belly brain censored. ubbloco

I also think that getting addicted is the way to go while learning anything, if you can't put your poi/staff/body down and think about it all the time you can learn very fast. So pass the popping crack! wink

Another thing is information - look at how fast people are learning poi/staff now that there is so much more info out there. eg Meast 2 years(?) of staff and is one of the most badassed staff spinners out there ... and i'm sure he packed his wicks with crack....

Oi Bluecat! Negative space and tutting/threads? (all that stuff involving creating negative space and moving/ pulling other body parts through...I think) smile

Ronan

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Dude, are you going to be in Belfast this tuesday?
I'll be along at the fire-meet - would be cool to hook up and wiggle in strange ways smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
(you're very welcome if you want to come visit Ronan biggrin)

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
I would love to come and watch you wiggle and practice a bit, but am afraid I'm working full time down here in Cork until I leave. Got to save as much money as i can during the next week and a half for this thailand adventure, but another time would definately love to. smile
And we should organise another fire party in my top field when i get back and it starts to get a bit warmer, to try and convince ye people to travel down this direction

Thanks for the invite

hug

Ronan

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I found, searching glowstringing.com site about dance

like this:

Written by:

https://projectFunk.com
- Tutorals and aticles on urban dance

styles as popping, bboynig, locking etc.

If wanst mentioned yet, seems to be a nice source.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one richee!

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I live in Melbourne, so I’ll just add that no dance thread is complete with out a bit on the "Melbourne Shuffle" wink

check the Melbourne Shuffle down loads

wiki info on Melbourne Shuffle with links to popping, locking etc.

There is a whole world of dance offjazz

And those old favourites bustamove and dance forums

Keep on dancing smile weavesmiley juggle

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Page: