Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Wotcha Y'all!

My inflated sense of ego causes me to believe that some of you may me interested to know what i've been up to lately.

I may be wrong but youre gonna read this anyway...

Currently i am bristling with excitement because back at my laboratory i have a revolutionary new type of hand held catherine wheel that i have designed and built that is waiting for its first test firing. i am just waiting for the pyros, it's only a matter of time...

I am also in the advanced stages of research and development of a motorised tuntable/podium. This will enable me to show off my glowstick poi act to best effect.

I am also nearing completion of an animation sequence for my promo video. My idea ( )uses a series of long exposure photos of me doing poi, some sequences are shots taken from many different angles, producing a timeslice/bullet time effect (see the Matrix), so that the camera appears to pan around the frozen light trails. Other sequences are pure animation. This is the only way i can think to show the optical trails up on video that does any justice to the effect when seen live. My friend Andy from Aardmans is helping me with this cutting edge cinematography.

I am also having considerable success with my musical saw playing. Busking is proving rather lucrative. Also, the Gandini Juggling Project has asked me to play in their new show, which will be performed at both Circus Space and the Edinburgh (sic) Festival in the summer.

Those of you who have considered taking poi further, or have toyed with the idea of going to Circus Space or Circomedia to train, may be interested in looking here . I am attending the 5 day long circus holiday/course in May and cannot recommend it highly enough for aspiring performers wanting to take their poi/circus and performance skills up several notches. It's an enormous amount of fun too!

Those of you who do flags/dance may like to chuck the name of "Loie Fuller" into a few search engines (you'd be crazy not to!). No one to my knowledge is doing the 'Serpentine Dance' that has so much potential combined with projections and lighting effects. Why use flags when you can be the flag?

Please let me know if you find any of this info useful or stimulating, or just say Hi!

I leave you with a quote from Douglas Trumball, the effects supervisor of Kubricks '2001' (the man responsible for the long exposure animation 'stargate' sequence in the film) -

Do it right - then do it better - then do it all over again.

Axis.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Axis

good to see you've been so proactive

You going to be at Glastonbury again this year??

Hope so - I really enjoyed your show, but didn't really get to see that much of it.. so I'd like to rectify that this year

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Yeah! i hope to be!
It depends on my agent, i guess i will find out pretty soon, fingers crossed!
Axis.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Cool, maybe see you there again..

Hopefully this time I won't be so drunk and we may be able to have a decent conversation!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hmm Glass doesn't seem to have read this thread. As I can't believe he'd let a mention of Gandini pass like that....

Meh

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
I planning to go on that holiday/course too I'm hoping there is some way of working to pay towards the fees. I'm waiting to hear from them, it looks like a great course in an amazing location. I'm starting to forget what the outdoors looks like

Hopefully see you there!

Edit: sp

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
yay Axis
so good to hear from you man..

AND SO EXCITING TOO

I really respect Gandini s work and it makes me happy to hear you are going add to their light with your shine. cannot wait to see that. hopefully at the EJC in 2004 ? maybe even before...

all I really have to say about gandini is :

three, three
three three
fourfourone

was at the jugglers rest last month and saw your picture and it made me smile
By teh way, jugglers rest has become one of the most unpleasant hostels in the planet. owners so unfriendly that I left after one night allthough I had paid for two. YUCK !!!

thank you for sharing all these info and your energy, really hope that I can finally meet you some day soon

shine on, Axis
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
That's a Damn shame about the jugglers rest

When i was there a lovely kiwi, Craig i think his name was, was looking after the place. i spent about 10 days there in total and had an awsome time. Damn shame.

Cas, i'm sure we'll meet, some sunny day...

That's great FireMorph (are you like Morph but on fire?) bring as many friends as you can!
c u there!

Laters
Axis

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Woohoo!

I will be performing with the Gandini Juggling Project at Circus Space, 15,16,17th April.

check circus space homepage for details!

Axis.

[ 09. April 2003, 03:20: Message edited by: Axis ]