Forums > Social Chat > Do you believe in premonitions?

Login/Join to Participate

loulou27SILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
Has someone ever had a premonition about you or someone you know and it came true?

Am just wondering toseeif its happend to many people, cause a friends just had one concerning me and im not sure how to take it. With a pinch of salt probably juggle? mmmm....

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
All I really believe in are chocolate chip cookies.
Apart from that: yeah, premonitions have happened, the "connections" seem to be rather good within my family (my parents, my sis and me)

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
sometimes, but sometimes tis just a dream or a metaphor. just watch your step but don't get paranoid.
however, I'm a believer of the chocolate chips myself, and that's really all that matters.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

loulou27SILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
I'm a beliver in never being satisfied when eatting choco ship cookies! and before you know it theirs the whole box away.

I'm still not sure cause she had little things like that before and she's usually right, but i think she just spots the obvious?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
No. I used to dream about people dying just before bad things happened to people in my family, but that was coincidence. Freaked me out for a while, but the last few times I had bad dreams it was without anything happen to people I care about.

The thing is, if we have a premonition and nothing happens, unless it's extremely memorable, we forget about it. So people tend to remember ones that came just before something bad happened.

Cookies on the other hand... ubblove

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Yep. I get them all the time, but I dream them, forget about them, then when they happen I get a really intense feeling of dejevu and then remember how long ago it was I had the dream (years in some cases).

Not got a useful one like the lotto numbers yet.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I do. I get them all the time. Last tme I dreamt that my nana was going to pass away. I thought it was silly at the time cause she was fine and dandy... two months after the dream she passed away. frown

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
well i did dream lotto numbers last week.. but i had to take the $20million to some guy on my street even though i chose the numbers..

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yupp, happens - been there, had that.

I once had a heavy argument with a guy I shared flats with, for him pulling my lover in his bed (with me lying in bed next to them)... when I left the apartment - after the argument a few days later - I looked at him and knew a) that this would be the last time I'd see him for a long time and b) that he would be imprisoned - I felt so sorry, but couldn't tell him.

With tears in my eyes I left - not because he did, what he did - and he was taken by the police a few days later for not paying his allemonies.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
hmmm.. this is not really a premonition, but kinda...

last tuesday when i woke up i didn't feel quite right, not quite in sync or something. when i went to the supermarket i forgot 2 items - bread and basil - which i needed to make lunch. so i went back to the shops, got the bread, pulled out of the parking lot then remembere i had forgotten the basil for the second time, so i pulled back in and got it.

about 40 mins later when i was chopping the basil i cut half of the tip off my thumb which resulted in lots of blood, a bit of pain and not being able to go swimming for 2 weeks.

what i'm saying is, i think should have taken forgetting it twice as a sign that i shouldn't have it, however i didn't listen and now i am deformed (alright, bit of an exageration but i feed on sympathy!)

ummm...i don't know if that is any help?

back to the topic, i do believe in premonitions, but i also believe is self manifesting prophecies i.e if you believe the premonition it will happen because you have created it. so be careful.

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
its one of those difficult things to prove/disprove...

in tilly's case above, it could have been premonition, or it could have been she was feeling somewhat distracted that day, and should have avoided using my nice sharp wusthof-trident chefs knife in that frame of mind.... hug

i think premonitions do occur - too many late night conversions with differnt friends over the years about life experiences and whatnot... but i think its also true that humans have a habit of reading into events & coincidences too much as well smile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1161848156)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Well, I had a dream when I was six that our school burnt down and the next day it was burnt down. But that's the only one. I have a couple of friends who sometimes dream things before they happen, like when people are coming to visit they'll know the night before. But these things never seem reliable, so I think pinch of salt is always best until you know... que cera cera and all that. smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

in tilly's case above, it could have been premonition, or it could have been she was feeling somewhat distracted that day, and should have avoided using my nice sharp wusthof-trident chefs knife in that frame of mind.... hug

well....why don't you just go and marry your knives, ed? wink

i once dreamt the winner of the melbourne cup! (for those not in oz it's the 'race that stops the nation' a horse race that vicotia gets a public holiday for!)

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
I once had a premonition that I'd have déja vu, does that count? tongue

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tillymoo

hmmm.. this is not really a premonition, but kinda...

confused then I do not understand what a "premonition" is, also the dictionary is not giving me a different clue.

The example you're giving is not a premonition in the same sense I see the word defined, but an Omen - which I interpret differently: You should not have forgotten it, but at the time that you put it on the board, you should have gotten aware, that there's something special about it and should have been present (besides, try to keep the tips of your fingers bent inwards, when chopping groceries and be present when dealing with sharp knifes)...

A premonition in the sense I understand the translation is to precognise an event - to foresee it happening. Maybe not the event in all aspects (there's going to be blood), but noticing that something is going to happen if I'm not taking care.... I seem not to use the right dictionary then...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
My room is a bit psychic anybody sat on the end of my bed can tell what's going to happen in the next few minutes, we got the whole world cup draw right each team in order with 3 of us taking turns biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

yes and no... i'm forever the sceptic, even though i usually want to believe in this sort of thing.

however...

we had a birthday party for MiG a few months back and i invited a bunch of my friends up from adelaide. they came. late in the eveing we were sitting around the bonfire and i suddenly had this really vivid memory of a dream i'd had a couple of years earlier, and i remembered telling my friend steven about the dream.

I'd dreamed that i was having a party at my house, which was also some guy's house and it was in whyalla (which is where MiG and i live. I was born in whyalla but had never thought of moving back until i started dating MiG.)

thus far you could put it down to deja vu, but at the time it was well after midnight and we were sitting in the back yard around a bonfire, the memory of the dream i had was of me and a couple of my friends (including steven) walking down the side of the house towards the back yard during daylight, the driveway was on the same side of the house as ours currently is.

umm... yeah... that kinda freaked me out...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i once had a dream where i saw the boy i had a crush on at the time wearing a maroon jumper (i had never seen him in a maroon jumper before) and he brushed past my shoulder...
and the next night, he was wearing a maroon jumper and he brushed past my shoulder at the exact same spot he did in my dream.

take what you will of that. my life doesnt revolve around boys. nope nope. just look at arnwyn's thread ubbloco

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
so: premonition = deja vu?

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: loulou27

Am just wondering toseeif its happend to many people, cause a friends just had one concerning me and im not sure how to take it. With a pinch of salt probably juggle? mmmm....

The best quote from the worst possible source:
"There is fate, but it only takes you so far, because once you're there its up to you to make it happen. "

Translation: I believe that, in this world, there are distinctively, readable patterns to actions around us. Watch long enough, learn, or just have the instinct, and you can read the probability of factors about you, like running the morning line for different events. However, and this is where things get really sticky, when the factors are altered, the probability changes. It's not a precise science, and, actually, it's not really science at all. So, this is to say, it's possible, but always take it with a grain of salt, knowing that nothing is truly set in stone until AFTER it has happened.

.... by and by... whoever guess the lame, but true quote gets a cookie. biggrin

"So long and thanks for all the fish."