Forums > Social Discussion > Media, Police and Double Standards (bomb plot foiled in UK)

Login/Join to Participate

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
Hi there,

not sure about posting this as i'm not entirely sure how political ppl get on here and also...i'll get a bigger rep. for being a whinging pomme...but is anyone else aware of this?? can someone in the UK tell if this story actually get the coverage it deserved (i.e. lots and lots)

Written by:

A FORMER British National Party member has been accused of possessing the largest amount of chemical explosives of its type ever found in the country.

Robert Cottage, 49, of Talbot Street, Colne, appeared before Burnley magistrates charged with possession of an explosive substance.

Cottage was charged under the Explosives Substances Act 1883 on Monday night after forensic experts searched his home, allegedly discovering chemical components which could be used to make explosives.

Police sealed off Cottage's home last Thursday and finished their search at the weekend.

Officers claim that their find is the largest haul of chemicals of its kind discovered in someone's home in the country.

However, the exact nature of the chemicals has not been revealed.

David Leach, representing Cottage made no application for bail.

Magistrates remanded Cottage in custody and referred his case to Burnley Crown Court where he is due to appear later this month.

Cottage, a sub-contracted driver for Lancashire County Council, stood for the BNP in the May elections in the Vivary Bridge ward of Colne.

l Police were yesterday searching a house in Trent Road, Nelson, where a 62-year-old-man was arrested in connection with the investigation.

He was last night being quizzed by detectives.

https://community.channel4.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/503603557/m/4250054646

Written by:

Cottage was charged under the Explosives Substances Act 1883 on Monday night after forensic experts searched his home, allegedly discovering chemical components which could be used to make explosives.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/new...ives_charge.php

now its interesting to note that although this was the largest haul of explosives ever found in the UK in someones house it did not make the headlines. it only made a small part of the BBC website (see link below). No media outcry, public/press conferences. now why is that??!! surely it cant be bias & double standards in the media.....noo......

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6080278.stm

the men were not charged using any of the recent terror legislation which is supposed to protect us from "terrorists" but were charged using legislation from the 19th century (wtf??!!)

now the reason that i'm posing this is that:

a) i think its disgusting that these double standards are so blatant in the UK media, the BBC which was once a reputable news source is now rubbish.

b) also i'd like ppl in other parts of the world to comment on this

abnd

c) if your from the UK and it hasnt broke, i think its importrant to know about this

https://infoex.hemscott.net/MESSAGES/1515307.HTM

https://community.channel4.com/eve/fo...7/m/4250054646

https://www.nineeleven.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?p=29148

https://www.respectcoalition.org/?ite=1191

https://www.voidstar.com/ukpoliblog/index.php

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
guess they haven't been muslims, have they? remember you're only a terrorist if you attended koran-school at some opint in your life wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

now its interesting to note that although this was the largest haul of explosives ever found in the UK in someones house it did not make the headlines.

maybe because it wasn't.

Written by:

Officers claim that their find is the largest haul of chemicals of its kind discovered in someone's home in the country.

Police always try to find the statistic that makes their efforts sound most impressive. A bit like in football commentary where they say things like:

"The most prolific left footed Argentinian goalscorer outside of South America"

which is impressive, but not as impressive as it sounds smile

There's no mention of any 'plot' uncovered, which I'd imagine police would be quite anxious to shout about. There weren't any explosives in the house. Sounds like they've discovered a suspiciously large amount of a non-restricted chemical which could possibly be used to make explosives.

I don't see that this is necessarily double standards, and I don't really see the link between reactions of the media and police here either shrug

its not like the police and papers hate muslims and love racists, is it?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

maybe because it wasn't.

really?

Written by:

There's no mention of any 'plot' uncovered, which I'd imagine police would be quite anxious to shout about. There weren't any explosives in the house. Sounds like they've discovered a suspiciously large amount of a non-restricted chemical which could possibly be used to make explosives.

really? can you provide me with sources please??

Written by:

its not like the police and papers hate muslims and love racists, is it?

no i'm not saying they do BUT they love a good story and i would bet you a lot of $$$ that if they guy had been muslim then the reporting would have been a great deal different. IMO

i have to say that this is interesting on here this gets like three replies where as on a few other forums (i nicked this from elsewhere) it get two replies.....

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by: biggins

really? can you provide me with sources please??[/Quote]

from your own source

https://community.channel4.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/503603557/m/4250054646

[Quote]Cottage was charged under the Explosives Substances Act 1883 on Monday night after forensic experts searched his home, allegedly discovering chemical components which could be used to make explosives[/Quote]

You can turn a lot of household cleaning products and legally obtainable chemicals into explosives fairly eaily... Note the article says that the undisclosed substance COULD rather than HAD been used to make anything potentially dangerous.

So there were no explosives and it seems there was no plot - at least no one other than yourself has mentioned one. Pay a little more attention to your sources before attempting to infer such grand headlines.

Does this make you a 'whinging pommie' - no... but possibly an easily led alarmist. The reason there's been no media reaction is that nothing of note has happened.

Had the police believed they had stopped a far right plot to bomb London it would have been front page news - but as this hasn't happened there's no story to report.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
dream: you have some good points, however there are reports that rocket launchers were found.

Note also in the 'transatlantic aircraft plot' the 25 suspects were arrested, because of a plan to use 'liquid explosives'.

The chemicals they found were "legally obtainable chemicals" used to bleach flour among other things. You can find out how to do this in the 'The Anarchist Cookbook'.

Also, see what wikipedia says about it:

Written by: wikipedia

On September 18, Lieutenant-Colonel (ret.) Nigel Wylde, a former senior British Army Intelligence Officer with decades of anti-terror and explosives experience, declared the plot to be 'fiction'. He said the explosives in question could not possibly have been produced on the plane. "So who came up with the idea that a bomb could be made on board? Not Al Qaeda for sure. It would not work. Bin Laden is interested in success not deterrence by failure," Wylde stated. He further suggested that the plot was an invention of the UK security services in order to justify wide-ranging new security measures that threaten to permanently curtail civil liberties and to suspend sections of the United Kingdom's Human Rights Act of 1998.

Now, the point that I am making it that, yes, this haul (the BNP one) *could* have been no more than some men playing about with chemicals and 'big boys toys'. As someone who has had ready access to full sized canon all his life and who grow up in a legal gun powder store (my dads house) I can understand why you would want to do that. Who wouldn't find blowing up some of the country site amazing fun?

Written by: wikipedia

Police Superintendent Neil Smith said: "He's not a terrorist and it's not a bomb factory but we are interested in what we have seized from his house. It will take expert advice to establish exactly what he has got. He was arrested under the Explosive Substances Act 1883 on suspicion of possessing chemical substances that aren't in themselves an offence to possess but if combined may be capable of making an explosion."

So why, do they not get the media attention? When, essentially both groups were arrested for the same thing, except the BNP had a rocket launcher and a nuclear biological and the others had "more than 400 computers, 200 mobile telephones and 8,000 items of removable storage media such as memory sticks, CDs and DVDs".

I am not saying that either should be let off - I think the police have done a great job in tracking down and arresting all of them. My problem is with the media and why they didn't report the BNP case. They should have been all over it in just the same way as they were for the 'transatlantic aircraft plot'.

Written by: dream

Does this make you a 'whinging pommie' - no... but possibly an easily led alarmist. The reason there's been no media reaction is that nothing of note has happened.

Well the police think something happened!

"The prosecuter also alleged that the pair had "some kind of masterplan."."

Ok, it was a "master plan" not a "plot", but it is an event that was *just as big* as raiding chemicals and computers from another house. There is not a lot of difference between the 2 cases, at all!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
what's bnp
british national police?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

3,149 posts

Posted:
C'mon Sym, an vague allegation of a prosecutor isn't even secondary evidence.

A rocket launcher and a bio-chem suit turned up at this guys house ubblol

clearly its a boys toys collection, after all, i doubt he was planning to mix up the chemicals, put on the suit and shoot them out of the rocket launcher?

if he was planning that, i really wish they'd have just let him, and watched the consequences...

Whereas in the case of the TATP plot, unfeasible as I agree it was, intelligence of the plan itself was what brought Police action. And it was a big plan. Here: no plan, and the police themselves don't reckon he wasn't trying to make bombs.

if you wanted to draw a parallel, the Ricin factory where one castor bean was found would be a better one. But i think the internet furore about this story being 'under-reported' is entirely based on misinterpretation of the existing reports.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

what's bnp british national police?

British Nationalist Party

Shaven headed racists into politics.
One of the rare examples of people you can accurately compare to Nazis.

3,556 posts

Posted:
for real or do you just not like them..

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

3,149 posts

Posted:
The BNP advocates the use of "firm but voluntary incentives" to remove ethnic minorities from the UK. Membership of the party is restricted to "Indigenous Caucasians".

Proper nazis.

3,556 posts

Posted:
isn't that an oxymoron

anyways-the question is who is writing the news and if they write it will it tip off others and they may not want to create a panic
maybe they wanted to wait to make it public so that undercovers may be able to finish some work

Faith

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I posit that the media gave more attention to the transatlantic bomb plot because many, many people were affected by that action, The BNP guys don't appear to have affected anyone at all.

No doubt the media would have been all over it had they actually set off a bomb, or had the plans to set one off.

You know,,,the British were watching the transatlantic suspects, but the Americans flipped out and insisted British authorities step in immediately and expose the plot. That's why there's not much "evidence" associated with the plot.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

isn't that an oxymoron

not in europe.

it would indeed be an oxymoron in say america or australia though.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
So in late September police find some chemicals which can be turned into something explosive and something to shoot rockets with at someone's house... Bear in mind the rocket launchers comment came from the prosecution lawyer, and that a rocket launcher is basically a hollow tube...

It sounds to me like homemade fireworks. Its the right time of year. And its the only useage of rockets I can really think of. Having just done a couple of gigs with a fireworks company, I'm fully aware that the big rockets people use (and the big hollow tubes that they're fired from) look like they should have been 1st world war artillery.

As for a nuclear biological suit... A what??? Halloween costume??? Searching google for "nuclear biological suit" comes up with hundreds of blogs about the "BNP Bomb Plot" and nothing else. Ebay comes up with a gas mask and camoflage clothing... Hardly compelling evidence that anything illegal was going on, but nice useage of the words nuclear and biological from the prosecution lawyer to try and play on people's insecurities. Its obviously worked quite well bearing in mind the amount of internet interest this has generated.

Now... I can't admit to understand the inner workings of the mind of anyone who'd vote BNP never mind stand as a canditate - i guess there is a chance they had some kind of insane League of Gentlemen-esque plot to take over the country with their homemade fireworks, turning the english countryside into a replica of Afghanistan with their mighty jihadi/imperialist army of two. However it seems incredibly unlikely.

As for the massive media conspiracy to keep this quiet and stop the public hating racists... This is the same week that Nick Griffin, BNP leader was cleared of incitement to racial hatred following the infiltration and secret filming of BNP meetings by an undercover BBC journalist. On his acquittal Griffin made an impassioned speech condemning the libral hysteria and political witch hunt he accused the BBC of orchestrating. He went on to say the BBC was a waste of licence money and should no longer serve as a public service broadcaster.

Bearing this in mind is it really likely that given the oppurtunity to expose a massive BNP-led bomb plot, the beeb would decide to 'cover it up'? Again it seems incredibly unlikely that the BBC wouldn't jump at the chance to portray Griffen and his party as dangerous racist lunatics. My gut feeling is that they would have researched the story, found it to be nothing worth reporting (the only source people are quoting it would seem is a local newspaper report featuring a couple of lines rom the prosecution lawyer) - BNP man in fireworks making shocker eek - and that had they ran a story claiming there was a BNP bomb plot foiled by the police they would most likely had ended up with a libel suit against them.

Written by: Sym

the police think something happened!

letter from the beeb

Written by: Debby Moyse, Assistant to the head of BBC news

I have investigated how the story was missed. It appears a reporter from BBC Radio Lancashire investigated initial reports but the police "played it down".

lancashire telegraph article

Written by: The Lancashire Telegraph

Superintendent Neil Smith moved to reassure residents and stressed: "It is not a bomb making factory" and added that it was not related to terrorism.

The Police aren't saying nothing happened... because that is a meaningless comment... things are always happenening... The questions ought to be was there a bomb factory/bomb plot/terrorist plot/fascist coup conspiracy? The answers would all appear to be no. How else can you read comments like "It is not a bomb making factory"
EDITED_BY: dream (1163512448)

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

flying_on_fireBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
sorry this is a great thread
i have half a nbc suit (nuke bio chem) and not planning on making any big explosions i also know how to make bombs from bananas so if i have lots of bananas will they arrest me too?? hehe

3,556 posts

Posted:
yes
not kidding
if you have "too much" of something they try to come after you
or you go on a list like the kids buying cold meds to make into drugs

Faith

3,149 posts

Posted:
possibly in the states

in the UK our government IT systems are so bad we can't even keep track of known sex offenders, let alone keep tabs on people purchasing hazardous quantities of fruit.

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
even if they didn't do anything wrong i think the goverment should enact laws that require all BNP members suspected of anything more serious that parking offences to be detained without trial. then moved to a specal containment facility on a deserted island off the north of scotland, electronicaly taged and left to rot i would call it

THE F$%K THE RASIST C$"TS INITITIVE

that would be my solution to the problem biggrin
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1163769948)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

3,149 posts

Posted:
Indeed. Bloody police accountability. Too damn much of it if you ask me. wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
where's a vigilante armed with explosive bananas when you them em?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*arrives wearing camo paint, pink thong and carrying suspiciously large bananas*

You called?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: robnunchucks

even if they didn't do anything wrong i think the goverment should enact laws that require all BNP members suspected of anything more serious that parking offences to be detained without trial. then moved to a specal containment facility on a deserted island off the north of scotland, electronicaly taged and left to rot i would call it

Too late. Ever lived in Orkney? ubblol

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

*arrives wearing camo paint, pink thong and carrying suspiciously large bananas*

You called?

*worried*

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.