KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey All,I am a newbie at this Bulletin Board stuff. In fact this is the first post I have ever posted to a bulletin board. I have been properly fire twirling for just over a year now. And I was wondering what people’s philosophies are on poi-ing.I am of the philosophy to trance out and enjoy to flowing movements of the poi and feel them metamorphoses into other moves. I guess I can’t really say any more then I just zone out and twirl smile and when what I do feels good, or I do something different to what I am used to then I think I have gotten a new trick or at least morphed an old one. I just do what feels good and trance out to it.But from what I have read (and I admit it is little of this site, as I am pretty new at this) a lot of you guys tend to focus on moves and precision.Can you trance and morph moves gracefully with precision? Or does that just make your moves look structured and perfect every time?In other words if you are of the philosophy to learn tricks and put them together precisely, do you still gracefully morph new tricks out of old or do you find yourself trying to structure them?------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Both. smile I learn from the structure so that I can learn how to perform "basic" moves. Then once I know all of the normal basic moves, just experiment around.Check out the other message board for "New Moves" it contains member-submitted thought up/accidentally created moves. smileI, for one, am for just feeling the vibe and going with it. If that means, fluid, graceful poi movements, then so be it. If that means quick, fast-changing, precise movements, then that is fine too. smile Whatever. Feel the vibe.------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thats an interesting Question Katinca...hey - I think I've seen you twirl before...were you at that doof put on by Goa Central? If it was you I was pretty impressed..anyhow - my personal philosophy is similar to yours, however I like to have my moves down pat before I let them morph into each other..I'm also big on fluidity - I simply cant get enough smile when its really working for me, I feel like I can flow all my moves together into one continuous move..and its during that time, that I Trance out...Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thats an interesting Question Katinca...hey - I think I've seen you twirl before...were you at that doof put on by Goa Central? If it was you I was pretty impressed..anyhow - my personal philosophy is similar to yours, however I like to have my moves down pat before I let them morph into each other..I'm also big on fluidity - I simply cant get enough smile when its really working for me, I feel like I can flow all my moves together into one continuous move..and its during that time, that I Trance out...Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
whoops...

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I aspire to be fluid, although I admit that sometimes I feel like I'm just stepping through moves. This is something I've been thinking about lately, as it happens. I'm just starting to feel that I can see a point in the future where I'll be able to twirl the way I want to be able to twirl.I do try to be precise, and I have tried to build up a decent repertoire of moves. But I try (*try* being the key word here) to be precise by practicing a lot, so that the precision becomes ingrained habit. And having a good repertoire of moves--and more importantly, transitions--is a step towards achieving the kind of fluidity I want. Ultimately I want to be constantly moving through different moves, avoiding repetition, and of course making it all look easy.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I think everyone wants to progress toa point to where their movements are not "movements"..but one long move or technique.After 6-7 months i am just now learning to flow in and out of moves and "dance" with the poi. I cant wait till about 4 or five months from now. I wish we had a room like in Dragon ball Z. Where you can train in it for 10 yrs, but in real time it would only be a few hours.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ah, good question, Katinca. I'm sure this is something I could go off on considerable. But in among what you all are proposing I'd say that for me it's a balance of both. I've worked hard to get the basics down, strongly, evenly, precisely. This is a very mind/body experience. I also release myself to just flow with the feeling I know in performance. In my analogy, this would be the body/spirit connection. For me, both are essential. Since I've spent most of my performing life as a musician, music serves as my best analogy. I learn all the basics like a musician would learn scales and etudes. To have the strength and versatility to do all I'm capable of in the moment. Diana

FiReSpRiTemember
23 posts

Posted:
for me... i have to get into my poi trance. it seems, if i try to think about or figure out what im doing, i totally screw up. :P------------------What we call human nature, is actually human habit.

Its hard not to play when theres so many toys.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i have fallen into one of those trances a couple of times..very enlightening actually.You begin to pull tricks that normally you wouldnt do if you were trying to. If i could bottle that feeling up, and uncork it at any time..id be better than average..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I have almost learned all of the moves on this site, minus BTB, 5 beat etc. For me, I began trying to get the motions down as accurate as possible. Now Im learning to flow from move to move fluidly. The next step will be to rise above this body to a hightened plane. Im a pretty methodical person... it just happens. Sometimes its frustrating, but this site and the family here never cease to invigorate me with the inspiration I need at the right time. ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I just do poi because it is a socially acceptable (more or less) way to play with fire in public. ;-)Seriously, though, the key to poi really isn't the moves themselves but the transitions between them. The ppl who impress me the most are the ones where I just can't tell what moves are actually being performed, or at least have a difficult time doing so, because so much of the movement is transitions.I've only been spinning for about four months now and so far I've been concentrating just on the moves themselves. Well, that, and building fire gear. ;-) It is only since watching myself on video recently that I realize I really need to work on my form.I've also been pondering an experience I had weekend before last. We had a small (150 peeps) burning-man style event on the Atlantic seashore. About 4am saturday morning there were about 20 of us left arround the campfire on the beach. We had done a lot of fire spinning earlier in the evening, but things had been pretty calm since midnight. But at some point, the half dozen or so musicians (drums, digeridoo, electric guitar) *really* got into a groove and I realized there was just one thing for me to do. As strung out as I was, there was no choice but for me to soak my wicks...I quietly tossed 'em in the fire and started spinning. Then a miracle happened. I became one with the poi, the fire, the music, the beach, the universe. The world disappeared and I went to another place. The drummers started drumming to my spinning. And then playing beats that caused me to do the most visually appealing moves. I remember it so clearly, yet the part of my brain controlling my body was completely separate from everything else. I don't remember moving at all. When the poi went out, my body collapsed under its own weight, my brain still reeling from the experience, trying to understand what had just happened.I still don't fully understand it, and I can only wonder if it will ever happen again...-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yes - that trance state will return, you simply need to practice getting into it. Eventually you will be able to get there without music, without the beach and without psychedelics winkYou need to practice the mental process you went through to get into the Trance...Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, right on, Josh. The door is always there. All we need to do is open it. Thanks!

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Sigh, I really hate getting onto these good threads late, cause by now everyone has said what I was going to say. Drat.Personally, spinning is very meditative for me. At the end of the day it is how I unwind, but it is also a source of inspiration for me.I think that about covers it smile------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Just a pointI think that most people want to get the moves down so that they can go out and lose themselves in the poi instead of losing and eye as they bash themselves in the middle of a burn. That would kind of blow the meditative state.Also if everyone always discussed what poi did for them spiritually and emotionally it would get a tad boring. Or I would have to smoke quite a few spliffs before logging on.And to answer the question in point:I know that when I poi usually get absorbed by the sounds of flames rushing round by head and I get this amazing natural rush rather than falling into a trancy state.I think my comet poi are better for trancing out while doing poi.I think it would be better if I practiced more and focused on my moves and precision. But when I twirl I just want to dance and have fun, not work on my moves.------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i'm hopping on late as well n8. i like getting the moves down then just slipping into my zone and go with whatever i do. usually music plays a big part in this for me.PLUR------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Personally, i learn new moves without music of any kind, focusing on precision. This works cause a lot of my practice is away from where i can dance. Usually, during practice is when i'm thinking alot about what i'm doing. Once i get ahold of a beat my body and consciousness go in two different directions.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
anyone else like 2 spin poi w/ their eyes shut?i tried to spin my crystal/flower sticks w/ eyes shut... it didnt work 2 well smile

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I almost can't help spinning with my eyes shut--when I'm into it, I just close my eyes naturally. This isn't always a good idea--I had a gig a couple weeks ago where a toddler was obliviously bumbling through my performance space. Something had told me in advance "don't let go, don't close your eyes." Good thing.

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I find myself closing my eyes sometimes too.Also do it as practise for fire poi... figure if I can go for a bit with eyes closed, should be able to light up without worries.=)

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
When I'm spinning alone, I almost always spin with my eyes shut. I started that when I was first learning and sent my glasses across the room a few times. After that I gave in to entropy, and since I am completely blind w/o my glasses, there is just no point in keeping my eyes open.If you *really* want to impress an audience, try spinning fire with a blindfold. ;-)-p.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Funny you should mention that, pj--I've been thinking of working that into my act.Actually, what I really want to do is a cheesy magician routine where I get a volunteer from the audience, get her to try on the blindfold, ask her "What's your name?" "Priscilla" "Can you confirm that you can't see anything through the blindfold?" "Yes." "Ladies and gentlement, I will now spin fire with Priscilla completely blindfolded. Wait..."

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Ahah, I also practice with my eyes shut, I find it helps me internalise a particular move and it helps me connect the move to my body, which makes it all flow a lot better. I found practicing turns with my eyes shut did wonders for balance and learning the move quickly.And having my eyes closed brings me down into a meditative state very quickly. Poi for me can be a very medatative activity. I generally greet the dawn with a spin in the morning - great way to start the day. cool

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My philosophy is like Nike......Just Do It. wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Getnasty58GOLD Member
16 posts

Posted:
i spin with my eyes closed almost every time i spin it is my drug i used to me a big pot head but now all i do is spin and it is zin full to feal and hear the flames around you not to hear or see the world it is just you and your own world with no one and nothing just a bit of hell and flames

"To become a great fire spinner you have to learn to manipulate fire not control it if you try to control it you will only get burned"
ME