Forums > Social Chat > i can hardly believe it's time

Login/Join to Participate

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
So I've spent the past 9 months working on a solo-show incorporating storytelling with object manipulation.

It's all come together despite the many moments of "WTF am I doing!?" and the performances are coming up this weekend. I'm excited to share this work with my community, but also looking forward to having it done so I can go back to just exploring the different toys I play with without a specific goal in mind.

It's just hard to believe that after all the months of preparation it's now time to do it. It's gone by so fast!

I'm at work right now, and can't really keep my mind on the job, as I'm thinking of all the details that need to be addressed before the first show on Friday.

I'm posting this here partly to release some of the nervous energy and partly because the journey towards this show really started the day I picked up my first set of poi (though I didn't know then where it was all going -- I thought the Fire Conclave at Burning Man was it!). Even though I have only met a few of you in person (and mostly in passing) and even though I haven't even chatted directly with a lot of you online, my journey started with poi and being on this board and reading the discussions and watching the videos really inspired me to dive in deep and develop my skills as best I could.

So while this community hasn't really been part of the actual development of the show, it's been instrumental in my development as far as how I think about and approach the art and what I want to do with it.

This show is by no means the end of the journey for me, merely another milestone, but a big one on different levels. It's too bad that most of you are not in San Francisco and won't be able to see the show, but I wanted to say thank you for the inspiration nonetheless. And who knows, I may tour it overseas someday!

hug

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Yay!!!!

I can only imagine how brilliant it will be based on your poetry, and other projects I have seen--

I am with you in spirit my friend!

Have fun!
xoxox
a
and video it for me...
and come perform it in Thailand in January...
and and...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
"solo-show incorporating storytelling with object manipulation" Wicked! I had always wanted to put together something that was in the story telling tradition but with juggling involved. Not easy stuff.

So all the more respect for getting that together. I hope it is fantastically successful.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
wow! more YAYs!!!!

I am with you, andrea... video it, yup yup... so we can ALL see it!! or just come to oz; you know u wanna... biggrin

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
And even more YAYs biggrin biggrin biggrin

You'll do fine, so far I've enjoyed everything you've produced, why should this be any different ?

Video???

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Didn't meet you properly at burningman, due to being very hot, very shy and probably very stoned.

Good luck on the show! And remember to calm down before you go on stage! (Or at least go to the toilet... )

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I think it will open up new avenues for everyone... biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
thanks for your well wishes everyone! it's now the morning of the show and i'm a little fried having been at the theater till 2:30 a.m. after a twelve-hour tech.

it will be videoed, but only once. we'll see how that turns out (because of the lighting primarily, it might be too dark for video).

pogo, i do wanna come to oz. a good friend of mine from here is moving to Sydney, so that probably will happen sooner or later. biggrin

stout--thanks for your vote of confidence! i'm not worried about the spinning part, it's all the talking that happens in between! eek

and mcp-- you weren't the only one in those conditions at BM. wink it was good meeting you though we didn't get to kick it together properly. some deep breaths, and yoga, and peeing before the show are definitely called for! meditate

icklematt: just do it. it's not like i had any idea what i was doing when i started this. tongue

andrea: you're lovely. i'll be thinking of you when i hug the tree. (yeah there's literally a tree hugging part). ubblove

i have to fold the programs now and clean before my sister arrives. i'll pop in again when it's all over with a full report!

grouphug

~ ani di franco

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
YAY! for more visiting HoPpers!! although I was a slackarse and missed johnny ucof's visit to juggle and moonfest spank

if/when u get here, make sure you get up to brissie (the coolest of the cool HoP destinations wink)

good luck! or break a leg! or whatever I should be saying... just imagine it was that... biggrin

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Well, it is done.

Overall, I have to say it was a really fantastic experience. It's really interesting to me, the way a performance comes alive when it's actually done in front of people. The energy of the audience activates it in a way that doesn't happen when you're just rehearsing it yourself or for the director/outside eye. There was a really good turn-out both nights, and people from all the different communities I'm a part of came out, and that was the best part for me as I really thought of this performance as a gift to my communities, and a call for people to step into their own potential and be more pro-active in their lives.

I'm really happy with the way it went (even with some of the mistakes that were made). It's interesting as well, how the two different performances were different though the content was essentially the same. Neither performance was "perfect" and yet that was fine. The first night -- the night that was recorded, I had a brain fart and completely forgot my lines at one point and just turned to the audience and said what was going on. It was a relief to be open about it and let everyone in on it, and some people have told me that was their favorite part!

There were some pleasant surprises -- like the way the costume changed color with the different lighting changes. Neither I nor the costume designer knew that would happen the way it did. The circle/ritual aspects worked and people were really into it and participated as I hoped. The imagined world really came to life. That was the best part of it for me personally -- how when I was on stage, I really was able to live the story and be in that world, rather than just deliver the lines.

I wish I had remembered to do isolations in the psi-hoop section, and I wish I had pulled out more moves with the poi than I did, but those are minor quibbles.

It was filmed, and it came out good! I will try to figure out the best compression method and get it on my website server. The link won't be public though (bandwidth issues and I'm thinking it will be a big-a** file), so if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send the link once it's figured out. Alternatively, I'd be happy to burn a CD/DVD with it and mail it to you, if anybody out there really wants to see it.

~ ani di franco

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Congrats! I would soooo love a CD!!

I personally really appreciate performances where the performers humanity also glimmers through....
xoxo
a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Don't worry the audience generally doesn't notice the things that glare out to you that you messed up or missed out.

Glad you enjoyed it and that it went well. Can't wait to see it. I'm gonna pm ya right now.

hug

meg

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.