Paragonnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Not really sure where to put this topic! But anyway

https://www.voltagehairgel.com/index.html

This was boingboinged today, I think there is more than one person on here who might appreciate it. I guess it'd made out of the same sort of stuff as glowsticks?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Wonder how flammable it is...?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
can't (legally) be the same stuff that's in glowsticks exactly, that stuff isn't safe for skin contact.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
walgreens has glow in the dark hair gel for halloween

(and nail polish and lipstick and eyeshadow and liner and glitter and....)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

can't (legally) be the same stuff that's in glowsticks exactly, that stuff isn't safe for skin contact.

Really? Long story but a biggish stick broke and my friend and I got covered in the stuff (quite a bit of it), he even put some in his mouth to make it glow. Seemed ok, though we couldnt get rid of the smell all evening. ubblol

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I've been told that the substance used in 'There's Something About Mary' is UV=active... shrug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I HAVE SOME "BULB HEAD" Gel, it's really bright but very persistant, leaves a residue on everything and if you sweat it runs down your face making it glow

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
But that does leave a nice 'melting Joker face from 'Batman' effect which itself can be cool. Until it gets in your eyes...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ardenterSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I ordered some of this last month. It comes in two packets with a mixing container and spatula type thing for mixing.

One is a gel, the other a powder. Basically mix them up and the chemical reaction starts them glowing.

They are fairly bright and very cool looking. The mixture contain hydrogen peroxide and is VERY unsafe around the eyes. But I did a skin test the day before with a small amount and it didn't bother me, so I painted designs on my skin.

The glow seems to last a few hours, but it has to be very dark or semi dark to see it. It dries to kind of a tacky, bit sticky goo.

Overall, very cool stuff.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
lol's @ neon, yeah, plenty of films where the forensic guys are looking for signs of 'activity' with blacklights.

blu_valley - yup, loads of ppl have done it, I know a bunch of roleplayers who intentionally covered themselves in it for an after dark FLRP event. personally I'd avoid it.

'glow sticks contain a chemical called dibutyl phthalate, which is safe in small amounts, but can cause stinging and irritation on contact.

Eye exposure can cause severe irritation, with an immediate stinging or burning sensation and watering eyes. Skin contact can cause local irritation. Swallowing the solution can cause nausea and a burning sensation, especially of the lips and throat.'

(edited : whoops replied to wrong lady first, sorry smile)
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1163717460)

3,556 posts

Posted:
wait what have loads of people have done
i's just talking about a little lipstick, and eye liner to go with the hair gel, not covering the body

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
OMG! ubbloco That rocks! Wonder if you can buy it in the UK...

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ardenter

The mixture contain hydrogen peroxide and is VERY unsafe around the eyes.

Er...won't this bleach hair?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
whoops, sorry faith I was responding to blu_valley's comment, tired eyes managed to merge the text..

3,556 posts

Posted:
eh i should have been able to tell you didn't use my name
there i go thinking i'm important again

Faith

ardenterSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
You know! I was wondering about that myself, but I never put it on my hair to find out. =)

Dangerousmind66Member
90 posts

Posted:
When I was at summer camp, we used to have glow stick fights at night sometimes. I personally can attest to the fact that the goo really stings if you get that stuff in your eye, and its tough to rinse it out. Additionally, there are always a bunch of glass pieces inside the stick after you break the vial to activate it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
glow stick contain two components. The gel also becomes full of glass because one of the fluids is contained in glass. When u crack em, then you break the glass containing the second fluid. The gel is now contaminated with lots od small fragments of glass.

or sumthing like that wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh