Forums > Social Chat > saving energy using gas central heating?

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
This may be a bit of a stupid question, but this is the first year I'm responsible for heating a flat with central heating and I was wondering about the way my last landlady/flatmate's been doing it and if that's really the best:

So, she and a lot of other people I know seem to switch it on for 2x2 hours a day, full power, all the radiators on max. Which for me means that I found it hard to sleep in the early morning because the air was dry and the room was boiling, but for most of the day the flat was quite cold again.

I was wondering if that was really the most efficient thing to do, or if having it on for longer, but on a lower temperature at the radiators, may be better? Any experience?

(sorry, this must sound stupid, but back in Germany I always had floor heating, and I'm not too bothered by cold so I just went along with whatever flatmates did and turned my radiators down when it got too warm for me...)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I have the problem of not being able to turn the boiler on very much at all because the thing eats gas like there is no tomorrow, so I hardly ever have it on. I use hot water bottles extra clothes and blankets. It's worked a treat as my last gas bill is a tenth of what it was last year. The funny thing I've found now it when I go to other peoples houses I find them way too hot.

So my advice is program it only to be on when you really need heat in most of the flat. Other times have it turned off and heat yourself rather than empty rooms.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I always used to leave i so it was cold in the mornings (woke me up and came on just before I came home, swiching off again before I went to bed.

I'm not overly worried by cold as I grew up without any heating

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well, in my old flat they didn't believe me that I only put the heating on 4 days a year, but everyone around me was using theirs so my flat got toasty just from the neighbours.

I think the flatmate might get cold though, and I do like a warm bathroom (something about a cold loo seat that's really off-putting...!), so am trying to find the best way to heat.

Now theoretically, does the boiler use the same amount of gas no matter if I put the radiators on full, or half, or nearly nothing?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I assume no: the radiators work by radiating heat transferred from hot water, which is heated by the boiler. Less hot water used = less cold water requiring heating. So in theory, provided the boiler has a thermostat, it will use less.

However, that assumes that the heaters splice in cold water to make up volume. Which I would think they would.

But then, I don't have gas - we have electric, night storage heating. Cold? Turn the heating on, and by tomorrow evening it'll have warmed up! I generally don't bother, and my room temperature has been known to fall to about twelve degrees, and have ice on the wrong side of my windows. Fortunate that I don't mind cold smile