PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So, with the stepped up security there is a kind of nervous tension surrounding travelling with fire tools, especially by plane.

While I was travelling this weekend I was stopped in security for some time as they did the sweeps for plastiques and explosive residues and such on my bag and shoes. I was not travelling with fire gear at the time but took this prolonged exposure to security to ask them about our current conundrum.

This is what they instructed me to do, and I thought it being very reasonable, that I would pass it on to you.

Place all tools and performance gear in a NON-KEY-LOCKED (locking it makes it look suspicious) suitcase.

Talk to the airline and explain it. They can issue a statement saying that the tools are for performance and sign on it. This gets pinned to the lining in the top of your suitcase. This way if your bag is flagged for search, it is all right there for inspection.

There are those shrink wrap devices now that vaccuum packs your clothes for transport, it is supposed to consolodate your packing materials by taking the air out. This will actually work the same way with our wicks, keeping all fuel residue completely contained and airtight.

All metal bits should be cleaned as free as possible of sooty residue.

Wicks should be dry.

Do not transport any fuel at all, and keep all combustible material (lighters) out of that case.

It was also suggested that you bring a photo sheet or promo material with you to prove what you do, try to include audiences in the shot to show you are a performer (if you are). With this also keep your insurance or permit papers or contract for your performance in your destination.

I figured it really wouldn't take long to adhere to all this and while it seems like alot it really isn't. I think it is worth an extra 20 minutes packing versus replacing all of our tools, especially in these heightened security times.

*And side note: If you are travelling by plane in the US wear easy on and off shoes. Every airport I went through this past weekend mandated that shoes of EVERYONE be removed and sent through the security x-ray machine with the carry-on bag.

[ 19. March 2003, 08:09: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I traveled to London and back with my firetoys, no problem. Everything Pele said is correct.

Just make sure that your toys go in CHECKED bags since there's no way in hell you'll get them through as carry-on.

Also, I might add: be very polite to the security folks. Use "ma'am" and "sir." Thank them whenever you are finished dealing with them. I.E. after they finish looking through all your stuff, checking your body cavity, and such, smile and say "Thank you, Ma'am. Good day." Saves a lot of trouble.

"Thank you, Sir. May I have another?" is not appropriate.

Also, if you can be arsed, dress up a bit. They tend to give people an easier time if it looks like they are on business and not some hippie.

As a young, single male who happens to have Semitic features, I've found that if I am wearing a tie, I NEVER get stopped. If not, I get stopped a lot.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I traveled this weekend with a full load of fire tools(47lbs to be exact) with no problems what so ever no one said a word to me about it . but tsa did trash my bag when they searched it .Everything was in checked baggage .I had most of my wicks in zip lock bags tsa didnt even put them back in the bags when they were done .I didnt carry any fuel but did pack my empty fuel can after I let it dry out over night.

And yes take off your shoes almost no one with shoes on made it through the metel detectors.
Lucky I do fire and sell fire tools for a living so I cant afford shoes;;;;;;;Laughs:::::::

I had all the paper work that was talked about in a earlier post but even after my bag was searched at 3 different airports I was never asked to show it to anyone .

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Toreador VampBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Just as an extra on this. If you are flying into the USA generally don't lock any back. If they decide that they want to search it they will just trash the lock to gain access.

Oh and apparantly customs etc don't have to put your kit back the way they found it thats your problem(at least UK customs), at least thats what i was told by someone that works in that area.

Vamp

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life
-- Terry Pratchett-Jingo

Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I live near the NY Canada border and I have more stories than I can count of people whose cars were searched by customs, and never put back together. Literally, two people I know had the carpet in their trunks lifted and left like that. I understand but still think it rude and disrespectful.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK