Forums > Social Chat > To Dread or Not to Dread.....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
I am thinking about getting dreads,...
and i was cheking it out on the net and i was wondering do you do them yourself or can you get them done at a beautysalon...or something...
coz i can make them i just don't wanna mess it up...
any comments!?
(they'd be helpful)

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
www.knottyboy.com

Seems to be touchy at the moment, up one, down the next, but there's a lot of info and pics there.

Yes, you most definately can do them yourself. I'm guessing most people that have knots did them themselves or with the help of friends (this makes it a LOT easier because depending on your hair length it could take anywhere from 4-12 hours, or more if you're slow and take a lot of breaks). You CAN get them done at a stylist/salon but it's almost always a rip off ($50+ per hour, and the methods used aren't the best, 'dread perms' they basically fry your hair out and whatnot so in a few months they either break off from being brittle or you need to have them 'maintained' at the salon, more cash, or, even worse, 'twists' they basically just twist up bunches of hair and wax it together).

Hair dreads itself naturally so it's pretty hard to 'mess it up'. The only real thing that could go wrong is that you have bigger or smaller locks than you aimed for, but that's part of the life of dreads.

How long is your hair now by the way?

536 posts

Posted:
i think it's far from being long enough...
it's like 3-4 inches into a pony-tail thing...

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
You confused me slightly, is your hair 3-4 inches from your head or can you pull it back into a pony tail and have the pony tail be 3-4 inches, or is it 3-4 inches from being able to be pulled into a pony tail? If you can pull back a pony tail or close to it then it's long enough by a good bit.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I have been considering doing this too. I can just put all my hair in a ponytail at the back, the parts at the very front only just reach the base of the 'tail. I'm not sure I actually want to do this because I don't know how it will look or how long the dreads will be when I'm done. I think I will grow my hair longer first, because if they turn out too short it will look quite silly.

There are numerous, easy to find sites that tell you how to make dreads. It seems like a lot of hard work though...

How good are extension dreads, and how long does your hair have to be to get these done?
What about "threads"?

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Well everything I have read has said around 3 inches is the best length to dread at if you are looking for neat and tidy dreads. The longer your hair when you dread the more likely they will form in a more natural clumpy form. I guess it's personal prefrence. If you plan on keeping them for a long time and you want them to be neat and tidy I wouldn't suggest copping out and starting them with long hair just to avoid the period where they are short and funny looking.

PS-I will probably get some dreads done sometime soon to.

[ 17. March 2003, 09:26: Message edited by: Astar ]

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't say 3 inches it the best length, if there is such a thing. It's the bare minimum, and even then, it's hard to keep them in. They tend to turn out smoother and harder when they are started shorter because you're not forcing the hair together, it happens naturally when they grow. I see that some people recommend waiting until your hair is at least a foot long but that's extreme I think. I think the easiest length would be 5-6 inches, enough to hold knots well, but not so much that you spend forever putting them in.

As to how long they'd be when they're done, I'd say they shouldn't shrink more than 3 inches if your hair is about 8 inches, but then again it varies due to how tight they are and if your hair is fine.

536 posts

Posted:
Naw man my hair is like three inches long at the top...
it's about an inch long in the back...
so i'm going to wait,...
but yeah,...
a foot is a bit extreme...but what ever i seen this 6 foot tall dude and he had dreads down to his chest...it was only like six dreads but it was cool...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
My friend had her waist lenght hair put into dreads last summer.. She loked damn good, all twisty and dready.. mmmm but I say her last week and she told me that she is going to have to shave them all off.. because she can't stand the itchy's and scratchies and the head sores (and waking up with dread marks on her face).. maybe thats just her experience as her blokie has no troubles with his.. Just thought it's good to have the downsides too..

Hope you do it tho- dreadies are cool.. I used to have some too! But as I only had part of my head dreaded and beaded I had to wash the other but, so after about 1 year they went a bit thin at the scalp - so I pulled them out.. still got them tho somewhere..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I have lots of dreads and I love them all to bits. Cantus, Nancy, PK, Mineiro, Josh, Moohaahaa and a a load of other Hoppers I don't know have them too. they're lovely and wonderful.

If you take time and put effort into them at first then they'll give you years of pleasure with very little problems. Itchy and scratchy scalp can be a problem - along with the continuous job of trying in loose hairs and separating the little buggers, but it all depends what sort of look you're going for.

I have little thin dreads that take quite a lot of work to keep them neat. Bug messy dreads take less time but you still have to look after them. It's no small commitment!!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Spiral has them occasionally too.

Meh

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I'd put them in if my sport let me...
Supposed to look "neat" for performances.

Gonna work on it during the summer though maybe.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Only if they're blue, Kinudin, dear!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
me-sa luva dreds!!! My wana get em sum day!!!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

536 posts

Posted:
yeah...
they got special dread shampoo you can buy that keeps them tight and neat and clean...
it's cheap to...
off this one website...
it's like "Dreadhead.com" or something...
*shrugs* i went there a few times they some pretty cool before and after pics...

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
The page was Knottyboy.com

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by .Lightning.:
Only if they're blue, Kinudin, dear!
Hmm... I wonder how well that would work...

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Is DreadheadHQ ok? I went there last year to get some stuff and it seemed like they needed an awful lot of info, signitures and ID just to purchase their stuff. Looked kinda dodgy to me......

I went to KnottyBoy instead and it was easy and quick and a lot cheaper fo me (no shipping costs).

I used to wash my dreads once or twice a week - though I find myself needing to do it less and less at the moment. I had problems with an itchy scalp right at the beginning because, in all honesty, your scalp can take a bit of a battering while you're making your dreads and mine didn't respond well. But after a few months of gentle care and nurturing it's all ok and happy again

dreads....mmmmmm....... ..........

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
itchy scalps? dear god, dread bretheren! there's no need for all that! get some pure jojoba oil in a bottle that has a "pump" top, like a lotion, you know it looks like a little arm sticking up out the top. or put the jojoba in a pump bottle. then use the pump to work the tip down to your scalo, and just put a few drops directly on your scalp and let it work it's way around. it will get right up and get rid of scalp problems from dreads.
two things... wash it out at the end of the day, and reapply as necessary. some people break out if you leave it in too long, and also it will work your way into the hair and loosen the dread. gives the dread a nice sheen tho, like you just dipped your head in chicken grease. jk
(like in "coming to america" -just let your soo000uul glooo00ooow)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
go for completely natural organic free range dreads. Do nothing to your hair for a very long time, go swimming in the sea and never ever brush or comb it. When you have a huge matted lump seperate out required dreads. And never wash your hair ever with anyything other than water found in mountain streams or the sea. No shampoo or oils or any of that shite, no wax and you'll be fine. My head very rarely itchesonly when my scalp is sweating due to too much exercise and it doesn't smell bad. Smells like hair, not timotei. And set fire to them occasionally to even up the loose random ends. Works for me.

Go oooooooooon...

soup!

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Itchy scalp AT FIRST is part of having dreads. I've got knotty boy dread soap and it makes the itchies go away after it's washed but after 3 or so days they gradually come back. I heard someone say this, and it's absolutely true, the more you scratch the more it itches. Every time my head itches (I have relatively new knots) I tell myself that and it takes away the urge to scratch.

Also, I wouldn't say that I have a problem with dreadhead hq, it just seems that they're bent on using wax, especially theirs, on your dreads and having them all perfectly symmetrical and even.

536 posts

Posted:
thats what it was Wessex...
and yeah it was dodgy...
but they sold compleate sets up in that piece...
combs, shampoo, and a bunch of 'uddah goodies for the kiddies...
i've been trying to get to knottyboy, but i can't for somereason....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I don't really get the whole itchies scratchy thing. But I don't wash my hair for 2 or 3 months at a time.

So i don't get any kind of irritations to annoy me

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
But then I don't really have that much experience of dreads.

10th March this year was only my 8th anniversary

*grins smugly and wanders off whistling discordantly*

Meh

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
WHAT?!?!?!

man i've had dreads for about 10 years. i used to not wash them very much but now i wash them at least twice a week. if you are doing work where they can get sawdust, etc. in them, cover your head and wash them or you will find bits of sawdust in ten years that have gone fermented.

and i wouldn't put that wax crap in my hair EVER. ever carry around a piece of wax? try it, every piece of lint, dirt, hair, funk, whatever it touches just _stays_ in there. just _try_ to get it out. yuck. plus, aren't you guys fire dancers? they make candles out of beeswax, you wanna be a big candle or what? i can do fire and not give a crap about my hair, as was said fire keeps em from getting too fuzzy

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Wow...

I think the first thing to remember is that everyone is different therefore the experience will be different with each and every individual.

I am currently in the process of 'creating' my dreads. As my hair was quite curly and long (below breast lenght) I just separated the tops (with bands or bits of string which I replace every couple of days) and have pretty much left them except for rolling them every so often. THey look good but are not yet fully matted.

I agree totally with arashi on the wax front. I really dont think its nessecary unless you want the super neet dread look and even then you only need a little bit at the top to add the loose hairs in.

The ithcy scalp is not so bad and if you learn how to massage your scalp and have a system of cleaning then it can be controled but its different for every person.
I use a mix of essential oils (usually tea tree and something else to give a nice smell) diluted with olive oil. I coat my scalp and then wash it off. I do this as and when needed.

As Far as dreads in the face after sleeping I dunno man I think mine are great its like a portable pillow but on my head!

I think its all trial and error. I spent lots of time talking to people that have had them for years before I began to experiment with my own hair.

Alternatively you can go find a salon that will charge you an arm and a leg to do them for you. To me thats not the best option because i see my hair as this huge art project and its on my head, yay fun art, hair, matts knots, smiles!!

anyhows thats my two bits
love and hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Here's a variety of dread pics for you all since you seem to enjoy them.

1.5 year old natural dreads

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Lenny Kravitz (Too bad he cut them)

Non-Https Image Link

P.O.D

Non-Https Image Link

'Sponsored' Knotty Boy kid Ozzie (Age 5)

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

The end.

536 posts

Posted:
Cute kidz...
I love P.O.D....
and that one dude has some big 'ol dreads...

536 posts

Posted:
they look a little high...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i've been considering it for a few years too, but i've met too many people who've had it done and ended up shaving them off because it's all gone hideously wrong. I like my tarzan look, and i'm not ready for a grade 1 miliatary/monk style cut quite yet The other problem is that i like washing it at least every 36 hours.

My hair is certainly long enough (half way down my back), longer than most women. If i ever decide to have my head shaved i will spend a few months playing around with it. Before dreads thou i'm going to have to get a Pat Sharp (of Fun House fame) mullet! That guy was like my hero when i was 8.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
You can wash your hair whenever you want, but it's not necessary to wash it often.

Page: