Forums > Social Chat > Any poi groups in Austin area?

Login/Join to Participate

little phenoixmember
14 posts

Posted:
Does anyone get together and lite up in the Austin area? If so,who and where at? If not,who wants to start?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Are you kidding? There are like 200 fire people in Austin! Well, perhaps not quite that many, but I suspect it is approaching something like 100.

Go to https://www.tcof.org
for some contacts.

It is by no means a complete list, and they aren't all from Austin (most are though), but they are good people to know.

Everyone there is gearing up for the Burning Flipside festival though (sorry tickets are definitely sold out), so don't look for too many gatherings before the end of May.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
jumpin jesus, are you frickin serious . man, i didn't get a ticket yet AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!! maybe if i had actually _gone_ to a meeting :rolleyes:i could've reserved one. dang yankees goin an buyin all my hoojoo. man, I MADE flipside! they wouldn't be jack widdout me ! maybe if i had actually _gone_ to a meeting sometime
... frick. you just bummed my trip man, big time! i even called people and told them to get theirs, then ran out of dough for a few, and BAM!

and vanize, theres way more than two hundred

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I am in the df dubya area but occasionally make the trip .I will post up shortly before I make the trip..ps. thereis no fire club

Yo xtreme poist up if you read this I am jonesin to spin with someone.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

little phenoixmember
14 posts

Posted:
I cant wait around any longer,I'm spinnin tonight(friday night)with or without someone!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Arashi - sorry to broadside you with the bad news about Flipside. Champa announced it a few days ago and clearly said he doesn't want to hear any sob stories. You can definitely blame that one of the yankees me thinks. At least it ain't my fault for once...

lil' Phenoix - please be careful about spinning fire by yourself. It is unsafe and heavily frowned upon by the majority of the Texas fire performance community and there is the added factor that since Austin has so many fire spinners that the fire marshal has instituted a policy that they must each get a permit, which means you have to basically go audition for the authorities and prove you are safe and have good basic fire skills. While I know many of the Austin area fire peeps don't abide by this, at least they are mostly aware of this and the implication that they can't go do the fire where ever they please. I think private places are ok for you to spin. Perhaps Arashi could enlighten you as to the specifics (though I doubt he cares too much about what the authorities have to say). It really is best if you can wait till you get hooked up with one of the groups there.

-v-

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
actually it's the opposite... i don't know anything about this stuff, but because we have such a good relationship with the fire dept. that i don't really have to worry. (we're in their orientation slideshow) anyway, i'm so anal about safety, i was a volunteer firefighter! in fact i am largely responsible for the high level of safety awareness around here. but heck, i'm not an AR or anything. spinnin kerosene nunchuku somewhere safe by yourself out here in grand old texas? just don't wear hairspray or you'll be practicing michael jackson dance moves !

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey I don;t usualy post at this time a-night, but WOW Its another world, I have never seen any of these folks names with i:
quote:
Sir_Sheep, vanize, Ayellayen, DaiTenshi, Jackelero, it's pronounced a-da-she, FireSpirit, and 3 guest(s)
)
I like you folks, you talk about real fire matters. Like 'Not Spinning Alone,' there are many dangers involved with this. And I think its a good Idea, if you are pashionate about Fire, that the fire commishner check you out (follow you through your entire show, from doucing, to the towel smother). It will only help you in the long dance.
So back to the subject matter.
I thought Austin had a good fire seen, just in the quality of Sage's fire dancing in COL2 tells me that.
It would be nice to spinn with ya-all some day.
Are any of you going to Burnning Man??
My mission this summer is to be in a place with a good fire seen, then end it at Burnning Man. I was thinking about Moab for the summer? hear there might be a good vibe there, anything is better than Salt Lake City!

Peace, and fun dancing around.

Fire Spirit

[ 14. March 2003, 22:20: Message edited by: FireSpirit ]

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Can't make it to Burningman this year, as it would cost me an extra $2000 to get there from South Africa where I am working this year, plus I want to use my vacation time seeing Africa. I'll be there in 2004 though I hope.

Austin does have a nice fire scene, if a little crowded sometimes. There are some wonderful people there, both in talent and personality. Its a little far from burningman though...

-v-

little phenoixmember
14 posts

Posted:
When I say "spin alone" I mean,I will be the only one spinning fire. I spin with freinds but out of all the people I know,I know of one other guy and he's an idiot. Theres something about idiots and fire that just dont match,not in his case anyway.