Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Sydney Juggling (and Twirling) Convention 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
madjugglingGOLD Member
stranger
46 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

The Sydney Juggling Convention 2007 is currently being organised. The dates and location are set and there's even a website.

Sydney Juggling Convention 2007

Dates: Fri 26 - Sun 28, Jan 2007

Cost: $100 AU for 3 days

SJC 2007 has just secured SCEGGS Darlinghurst (a school sports hall) as the venue. It has all the things a juggling convention venue needs:

* High ceilings - a must for the serious numbers
* Eateries galore - just around the corner from the Darlinghurst cafe strip
* Close to transport - just around the corner from train stations and bus stops
* In the Sydney metro area.

So, check out the website, tell all your friends and get excited!

There is a contact email on the website if you have any questions

cya in Sydney...

Mark Douglass
madjuggling

p.s. there has been a small twirling contingent, including bluecat (rob) and firenix (rob) and steve last year, but would love to have more twirling. The more twirlers that turn up, the more twirling that will go on, including twirling workshops and performances. i hope to see you there.

hazingtonjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
despite cheap air tickets, marks invitation to stay and a wonderful volunteer/performing system my boyfriend(josh) and i just cant make it, after a rather expensive woodford and the timing of other events, but we will be trying for next year so we'll see everyone soon.

Living is loving & Loving is Living
yet
Lying is Dying &
Dying can be Lying if you let it...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im already in sydney smile

arrived last saturday morning, and got to play unicycle hockey on sunday mornig.

will see everyone real soon smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

madjugglingGOLD Member
stranger
46 posts

Posted:
im sorry to hear that the two of you cant make it. cant wait to see you next year (or hopefully sooner)

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Good luck with it all
Hope you have Mucho fun - wish I could be there
Love to you Mark

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Leaving tomorrow!!! Will be there Wednesday morning!!!
CAN'T Wait!!!
See Ya all there!!!

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
alas - absolutely no chance ill make it. there was still hope last week but now ill have to admit ive just got too much on in my life to head down to Sydney this weekend.

hope youse bros have a fully sick time!

E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
eek i have to go to bed to get up in 5 hours to catch a plane to sydney!!!! eek eek eek

see you tomorrows! biggrin

hope some peoples are taking extra contact staffs smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i didnt know you were coming maj! eek

excellent, seems as if ill be meeting you soone than i though bounce

see you *early* tomorow moka tongue

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
I know this is a longshot, but is anyone driving up from Adelaide?? I'm near Mildura and would be awesome for a lift - PM me if so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
come to the sjc again....

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
actually luke burrage will be doing two sjc's in a row...

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Had the "pre-SJC" Newtown juggling night last night. It was packed!!!

It was so good to see so many jugglers and performers in one space.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

hazingtonjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
im at home wishing i was there hope your all having a wonderful time i want lots of footage.

Living is loving & Loving is Living
yet
Lying is Dying &
Dying can be Lying if you let it...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I am also at home, trying to catch up on masses of work that my life has not allowed me to do to deadline so far.
Thinking of you at the SJC and hoping its a bit cooler for you active types down there! It's nutsy HOT up here!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

madjugglingGOLD Member
stranger
46 posts

Posted:
i'm at marks place and its all over frown his unit feels really empty when theres only three people in it instead of 11 ubblol but it was awesomes, hope i can afford to come next year.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
*note, that post by "madjuggling" was accidentally posted by mr majestik under the wrong screen name*

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
*and that last one by *pineapple pete* was really by roger rabbit pretending to be....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
its a twick! i watched petey write that on my behalf not 12 hours ago!

yeah it was sweet. i had a great flight home too, met some mates at the airport who were on the same flight after going to BDO, and met some girls who went too, read a book, nice way to finish it all up.

thanks your your house mark! biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

sk1pnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Yo folks this is skip (rather little dude in grey shirt and white hat) the yoyoer. Was wikid rad to see you guys doing you thing, and nice of you to let us crash you conven. The two little dudes that were there were rock, and the guy who enterd are comp is the man.

Shout out to Mocha for hangin out with the gang the night of the bbq, funny fella.

Peace!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey sk1p, it was really good to see you guys there. I was standing there just in awe of some of the stuff you guys were doing. I have never seen anything like it.

biggrin

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
So how was it Peeps?
Hope you all had fun?
How was your 'special guest?'
Tell me all

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireNix

So how was it Peeps?
Hope you all had fun?
Tell me all

It was great. We had such a brilliant time. I will reserve judgement on the main 'special guest, but some of our other internationals were fantastic. Zanzibar was absolutely amazing and I hope he comes back every year. And our punk visitor, Graham, was great fun and did an excellent workshop on Snakes (as well as drinking enough for all of us!!).

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Julian is a great guy, amazingly talented and a lovely man
Havent heard of Graham - but sounds like a character - I may HAVE to come next year and challenge the drinking champion!! Sounds like a GREAT Renegade cambatant too
Good to hear it was successfull. Despite or becuase of Lukes attendance?!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sk1p

Shout out to Mocha for hangin out with the gang the night of the bbq, funny fella.

Peace!

Cheers Dude... Was great to meet you all...

Thanks to all involved for a great weekend, Particular thanks to Mark and Sarah for putting up with us for the week!

Now I think we're all looking forward to SJC 2008 perhaps we can get another DIFFERENT international guest next year (Those who we're there know what I mean...)

Cheers Moka juggle

PS:

Despite or becuase of Lukes attendance?!

Thats a definate Despite... IMHO (what did others think?)

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey Moka, if you get a chance, could you sling an email to the organisers? Let me know if you need a contact address for Dale.

Any feedback, good, bad or indifferent, is useful. It was a shame we didn't have time for our usual "everyone welcome" conversation...

madjugglingGOLD Member
stranger
46 posts

Posted:
hi

thought i would reply to everyones thoughts together. and then add some of my own thoughts at the bottom

Good luck with it all
Hope you have Mucho fun - wish I could be there
Love to you Mark

thanks for the love rob. hope you had fun in your travels

Written by: Rozi

Had the "pre-SJC" Newtown juggling night last night. It was packed!!!

It was so good to see so many jugglers and performers in one space.

i agree. the pre sjc bbq rocked. had some great food, great drink and great conversation with all the great people who attended. thanks to moka and james for their efforts on the bbq!

Written by: hazington

im at home wishing i was there hope your all having a wonderful time i want lots of footage.

it is a great shame you couldnt attend. and there shall be lots of footage in the official DVD. they are hoping to get it out in a month or two. i will advertise it here when it does come out.

Written by: Mr Majestik

thanks your your house mark! biggrin

no worries mate...

Written by: sk1p

Yo folks this is skip (rather little dude in grey shirt and white hat) the yoyoer. Was wikid rad to see you guys doing you thing, and nice of you to let us crash you conven. The two little dudes that were there were rock, and the guy who enterd are comp is the man.

it was a great combination... i hope it continues in the future. it was inspiring to us as well.... and i was very happy because i learnt two freehand tricks... maybe ill enter next year?

So how was it Peeps?
Hope you all had fun?
Tell me all

the convention rocked. i believe we had 60 people for the whole 3 days, but im not sure how many other we had. the workshops went well. the venue rocked, it was huge, had showers, was close to food and accomodation. the shows went well.

personally, i learnt a few little things here and there, which is always great. i developed friendships and made many more. i had some good performances, with two people saying that my hula act was the best they had ever seen me do, particularly because i was so comfortable on stage, and was very flowing. my poi act was fun, amd the hats went ok, with some cool tricks. and i think emma and i blew many people away with our adagio act. this convention i was focussed on my performing and running good workshops, and i think i succeeded in both.

in regard to the guest... there was a mix of positive and negative experiences from both myself and others...

So how was it Peeps?
Hope you all had fun?
Tell me all

It was great. We had such a brilliant time. I will reserve judgement on the main 'special guest, but some of our other internationals were fantastic. Zanzibar was absolutely amazing and I hope he comes back every year. And our punk visitor, Graham, was great fun and did an excellent workshop on Snakes (as well as drinking enough for all of us!!).

i have to agree. julien rocked! his energy was catchy. and i loved graham. admittedly at first, he did scare me, because he is a big man! and a punk! but i grew to love his energy also...

Written by: Moka

Thanks to all involved for a great weekend, Particular thanks to Mark and Sarah for putting up with us for the week!

Now I think we're all looking forward to SJC 2008 perhaps we can get another DIFFERENT international guest next year (Those who we're there know what I mean...)
Cheers Moka juggle

PS:

Despite or becuase of Lukes attendance?!

Thats a definate Despite... IMHO (what did others think?)

no worries on staying at my place moka. you were always very polite and had a great positive energy about you all week. thanks for your enthusiasm.

make sure you email dale with what you want in an international guest... it helps us with the decision making

Hey Moka, if you get a chance, could you sling an email to the organisers? Let me know if you need a contact address for Dale.

Any feedback, good, bad or indifferent, is useful. It was a shame we didn't have time for our usual "everyone welcome" conversation...

that applies to everyone. any feedback is greatly appreciated. the more the merrier. because remember, the convention is for you, and we want to know what you want.

well i would like to publicly thank dale and danni, and the whole team (dont want to recite names because i know i will forget some... you know who you are) for their tireless efforts on the convention. this was the first year that i stepped back from being the main organiser, and i was so proud to see how much it grew this year, and look forward to its progress in the future

thanks to all the people who attended. i hope you enjoyed yourself. and dont forget to give us some feedback (feel free to PM me)

SJC 07 ROCKED!

mark

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Really glad to hear everything went so well... sorry I couldn't make it. Next time I hope!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Madjuggling

two people saying that my hula act was the best they had ever seen me do

Was it the 3beat that won them over? wink

Written by: Madjuggling

my poi act was fun

Very glad to hear it mate! smile

Congratulations on what seems like a fantastic convention. I only wish I could have been there frown

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Was that BIG Punk Gray from England?
If so he is a WNDERFULL man - Super Entertaining, super friendly and about as Pomme as you could ask for (in a certain way!!!) where is he now, is he in Oz for a while? Does anuyone have hos email contact or Number. PLEASE PM me with if you have
Ill be back in Oz for Adelaide then going over to Perth for Spun out and street festys
Hope to catch some of you
Great to hear that your performances went well Mark - as I said at Woodford i feel as though your showmanship has come on leaps and bounds. Its a scary thought to have someone as Technically good as you with showmanship also - You gonna ROCK da World - i hope you make it out to Europe one year - if so i'll deffibnately hook you up withy some contacts
Peas out to all and Congrats on what sounds like a great Convention

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
That was indeed BIG Punk Gray. He is going to be in Sydney until next Friday, then he is flying out to NZ. I think he is back in Oz later on though. I think I can remember his email, and I will pm you.

Page: