NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I told you if we all stood still she wouldn't see us.

(Actually I was thinkin' the same thing!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I've tried various times and luckily I've caught Sensuosa a couple of times (cool person to talk to I might add... ), but no one else.

Weekdays I will probably try to be in there after 7pm EST-US, probably to around midnight or a little later. I may try to be on for a while during the day this weekend...

Does anyone plan on being in the chatroom this weekend? Maybe we can arrange a meeting of some sort. Would be nice to talk to some other people..

Also, is there a reason why the IRC information isn't listed on the website? I had to log in with the java program before I could see that it was irc.newnet.net, and #homeofpoi for the room. I generally prefer to use mIRC as my chat client...

Hope to see someone in there!

Shawn

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Hey ill probably be there saturday afternoon and evening. I must apologize for my inactivity with the whole IRC thing. In the week I started trying to promote it I went through like 6 java applets because they all started developing one problem or another. I was ripping my hair out for the whole week and a bunch of real life stuff was stressing me out even more. I will see what I can do about getting a reliable java applet going.

The server/channel info was in the original thread I made about it but it's backlogged several pages now. I guess I should bump it back up.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I'm there now and its just me and the bots..

Raph

battered_ratmember
40 posts

Posted:
have u guys never heard of msn, or yahoo messenger even, if not i recommend checking those out. But if u must stick with IRC i would also recommend checkin out this pretty nifty little program that one of my friends showed me the other day, it's called Trillian, and basically it is campatible with all the IM services, ICQ, IRC, MSN, Yahoo and AIM. It's an all in one and lets u IM anyone on any of these services, as i said, very nifty and useful if u have multipul IM services and are constantly jumping from one to another, so check it out. https://www.trillian.cc
(yes .cc), or alternately hop onto kazaa LITE (kazaa normal bad) and get the pro version, but it's no different really.
oh, btw, i am not affiliated with this program, so i'm not blatently advetising, it's just a really good program.

Phill

The weekend has landed, all that exists now is clubs, drugs, pubs and parties, I got 48 hours off from the world. This could be the best night of my life, I've got 73 quid in my backburner and I'm gonna wax the lot, man.THE MILKY BARS ARE ON ME!!

OzE_QTBRONZE Member
64 posts

Posted:
Hiya
I've been trying to get onto the IRC chat room but I am having troubles could be due to the amount of red wine I consumed before trying but I'm not sure
I think I might need some help..
I keep getting "You have been banned from this server" ( And I promise I haven't even been on there yet to avuse anyone!! LOL )
If anyone could help me that would be great
Thanx

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.. I think someone mentioned that the chat got banned somehow? If you have a regular IRC client, then just put for server:
irc.newnet.net

and the room is:
#homeofpoi

Astar, that is fine to have the info. in a thread, but why isn't it on the HOP page that has the actual java applet? I'm sure that many people just click on the chat link from the home page instead of finding out just from a thread on the board...

Shawn

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i got bored tonight and wrote a non java web interface for it. In the unlikely event that it hasn't crashed/timedout/been banned from the irc network by the time someone reads this and wants to use it, it's on:

https://irc.offline.org.uk/

if it does loose it's link to irc, it will still be useable with other people using the same interface.

lemmie know if it works/doesn't work

Enjoy

OzE_QTBRONZE Member
64 posts

Posted:
Thanks flid!

It worked
I'll just have to wait for someone to come and talk to me now LOL

Keep Smiling

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
good. About 8 people used it last night.

the connection between it and the irc channel seemed to die a couple of hours after i went to bed, i'll hafta rewrite the bot sometime later proper because its a bit of a bodge job at the moment.

Do people want the channel logs made available or not?

Lemmie know if you have any suggestions for it. I don't want to spend more than a few more hours working on it if i can help it. Afterall, IRC rots the brain like nothing else

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
[07:00] Although a quit button is something I will suggest to the guy who made it.
There's now a quit link on each page, plus you can use the irc style /quit command.

The relaybot should be a bit more stable now, i made a crude hack to stop it from timing out, which seems to be working thus far.

I've also added a timestamp to the beginning of each line. It's set the time that my server is on (London time). If you want your it to show your local time then someone write me a the javascript cause i can't be arsed

have fun

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
How about some sort of way to see who is comeing in through the PHP chat when you just join IRC? Maybe a command you can send to the bot and it responds with a list in private msg of who is on the other channel.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cunning

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
done, all people joining irc get a message. Added a few more things, smilies (same codes as HoP), a couple more commands (/nick and /me), userlist linked to HoP.

The bots/irc link should be more stable now, but i haven't written it to be rock solid, so don't be suprised if it breaks

Still waiting for a reply on whether or not to publicise the logs of what gets talked about. I understand if people want things kept private.

Got a few more people using it today, feel free to join.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think it's a good idea to make the logs avaible. If people want to talk privatly they can use PM's on HoP or use MSN/ICQ/AIM/yahoo

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I'm on IRC nearly 24/7 but have not known where the HOP room resides.

so it is #HOP on newnet?

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
it's on #homeofpoi on newnet. or you can click on this https://irc.offline.org.uk/
and use the front end.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Thanks Flid. Iv talked to lots of peeps. The only problem is people steal your name, and pretend to be you, and make u look bad (happened 2 me 3 times) but thanks to your program i managed to get their ip on several occasions, and using my virtualroute server i tracked them.

U know who u r. Last chance.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
well, i can just make people register nicknames and use a password if it's a problem.

but you'll get kiddies pissing around, that's part of the fun of the internet.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
You can currently register your names. Anyone who tries to use it who does not supply the password in 90 seconds will be kicked automaticly once you register your name. I can explain to anyone who wants to know how to register their nicks.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
only on irc you can, on the webinterface everyone will appear as relaybot, so...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Will it be interesting?

Meh

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
could be. I'll just hafta start logging more info on people from now on

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ok, quite a few people have used it in the last week (aboshi, astar, astroboy, astrofaerie, C@ntus, cede, Chorin, DissolvedGirl, Dragon, Durbs, to name just the first few letters of the alphabet) and over 5000 lines of text conversed, so i've made a few improvements tonight (more as an excuse not to go bed than anything ).

First of all, quite a lot of people join, then quit when they see no one there, and miss the next person by a matter of minutes. So I've added a stats page, so people can see who has been using it and when they were last on. That way they can find a better time to come on.

Secondly the following commands are available to users of the web interface (don't type the < and >):

1) /whois - gives info about someone on the web interface currently logged in
2) /whowas - gives the time the given person was last on
3) /nick - changes your nickname
4) /quit - quits, with the optional message

Additionally those who access using an irc client can type in the channel:

1) !seen - tells when the given person last quit the web interface
2) !seen irc- - tells when the given person last quit irc
3) !who - gives the list of people on the web interface.

All of the similies that work on HoP also work on the chat, same codes.

Finally i've doubled the refresh rate so chatting is smoother. It's really low bandwidth (on average about 0.3k/sec) anyway.

Let me know if you have any more ideas or problems. Most things only take a few minutes to implement.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Ok within 10 minutes 3 people joined the chat and immediatly left. If all of you stayed for a few seconds 3 people would have been having a jolly conversation with each other Just hang around for a little bit and someone else is likely to show up.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
just a quick note if you have the web chat window open and minimise it/look at another browser/application, you need to maximise it every couple of minutes and click refresh.

This is because the way it works is by making your browser refresh the chat window every 5 seconds automatically. However MSIE stops refreshing a couple of mins after you move to another window (I guess Micro$oft thought this would be a cunning idea). If it stops refreshing for 3 minutes then you will get automatically logged out - the chat will assume you've closed the browser.

I don't see a way around this which doesn't involve using java, which somewhat defeats the point of making a pure html client (which if you hadn't noticed will work through any firewall that accepts webpages - companies, school, universities etc). I can make the logout time longer if people wish, but much longer and it just gets annoying because when people close their browser it will take a long time to register it. Having said that whilst writting this post i've though of a way to get round that........