kitilixBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Has anyone any ideas how you would get into angle grinding??? It completely amazes me when I see it and would love to get into it if possible - love having new toys to play with!! biggrin

Would appreciate any info, i'm in Birmingham if it helps??

ubbangel Kiti

By the powers of greyskull!!!!!

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
que? i use an angle grinder every day. am i missing something here?

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Penguin, do you use it to grind metal off your codpiece? If not, then yes, you are missing something.

Kitilix, I believe one would start by purchasing an angle grinder (mmmmmm power tooools) and learning how to use it conventionally. I did used to know a performance angle grinder. She had a friend who nearly lost a leg in a public performance - caution would certainly need to be exercised.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
surely its just a case of having a metal, probably titanium, 'cup' made. and you then grind it. titanium is good cause of the pretty white sparks it gives off, and you don't need to grind it hard to produce them.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

kitilixBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Thanks peeps, any ideas if theres anyone on here who is into performance angle grinding or maybe where you start getting the titanium pieces from?

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I'd head to see a sheet metalworker, see if they can make something up for you. I'm not sure about grinding titanium, but on regular steel, a 'flapper' disc makes a fair spark show, without taking much metal off. 'Course, a grinding disc'll make more sparks, but will take more metal off in the process. A flapper disc has lots of bits of sandpaper on it, normally used for very light grinding. Well, that's what we use it for, whether it's the proper use i don't know tongue

I don't showgrind, but i find a grinder in my hands most days of the week. I don't consider myself an expert at using them, but i can get myself out of trouble more often than into it smile

For starters, i'd be looking at getting a 4" grinder, as they're a bit smaller and easier to control, have less torque, and are less likely to sever a limb. For stage use, the investment in a battery operated grinder might be worth it, just for the flexibility, and not having to worry about finding a power point. They're a bit heavier, though, and have a limited use time, like any battery tool. 12 or 14.4v would probably be the way to go here, the extra expense of an 18+ volt system is unlikely to be worth it, in terms of performance.

If you do go down the power path, i'd seriously recommend getting an RCD power board/box. They're pretty pricey, but if you're performing with a power tool, i daresay you'd be getting a bit sweaty, and salty water is an excellent conductor. This could cause rather a problem if you end up being an electrical path. The RCD will help prevent your body forming a path to earth. It's a pretty unlikely risk, but better safe than sorry.

I think that's my knowledge bank just about exhausted for the moment, but if you have any questions, i'll do my best to answer smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

kitilixBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Noted, cheers matey! biggrin

Kiti