Forums > Social Chat > Salmonella poisoning - the facts

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
rolleyes Ya I know: "pedantic" is the term... But I can't help it, hate to see the world go down in blissful ignorance...

Taken from:

University of Iowa

Written by:

Spending a few minutes making chocolate chip cookie dough and eating the whole bowlful may not be your idea of a wild time. But it can be more dangerous than you think, says Phyllis Stumbo, research nutritionist at the University of Iowa College of Medicine. "Raw cookie dough contains raw eggs, a potential carrier of salmonella bacteria," she explains.

"Salmonella can be in all animal products, but one of the biggest problems is raw eggs. The bacteria lives on and around the animals, right where the eggs are." The egg itself is not the problem, Stumbo says. "Eggs inside the shell are extremely sterile. It's when you crack the egg that bacteria on the shell can get inside."

She doesn't recommend washing the eggs before putting them in the refrigerator. "Washing an egg wipes off part of the protective coating so bacteria can get inside more easily. If you want to wash the eggs, do so right before you use them."

Keeping your hands clean is the best way to protect against salmonella poisoning. Be aware, too, of contaminating your hands again. "If you wash your hands and then cut up chicken; for example, you should wash your hands before handling the salad fixings. And clean the cutting board with warm, soapy water, rinsing well after washing, before using it to cut the vegetables."

Symptoms of salmonella poisoning include diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, chills, fever and nausea. Symptoms usually appear within eight to 72 hours after you have eaten the food, she says. "This can make it difficult to pinpoint the food containing the salmonella bacteria, because in all likelihood, you've eaten the evidence," Stumbo says.

Salmonella can be life-threatening for the frail elderly and infants. For most healthy people, Stumbo says, salmonella is not deadly. "We've all eaten bacteria, and a little bit isn't going to hurt you. But I'd definitely advise you not to eat a bowl of cookie dough. And you probably shouldn't give your child the cake batter bowl and beaters to lick," she says.

If you experience salmonella poisoning symptoms, you'll most likely recover, Stumbo says. "But if you become dehydrated, see your doctor immediately."

For more information about salmonella poisoning, talk to your physician.

So NEVER - I say: NEVER DARE to eat raw eggs - it's a surefire way to get salmonella poisoning.... errm, hang on, have I just ignored my own post? umm wink footinmouth

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
over the bloody top.

No way am i going to stop muching on the cake mixture! bounce

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I just want to know why a)someone called their Salmon Ella in the first place and b) how it managed to poison them

[/rubbish joke]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You mean Sam and Ella there Durbs wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Rouge - you do not have to stop munching on raw cookie dough (I won't either)... especially now, "shortly" before christmas, where raw dough becomes the lunch or dinner replacement - I reckon it's important to spread the word:

If you're scared of salmonella poisoning: simply wash the eggs, right before you crack them open. It's plain simple.

Knowledge is power and makes one confident in their actions. There is no myth and there should not be any misconception about rocksolid (and peered) facts... shrug

Durbs - am wondering myself. My best friends daughter is called "Ella" (no joke) and in no way she looking even close to a salmon... wink Also I wonder what Salm was doing ON Ella?
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1161157476)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Dude, get the [censored] over it. Seriously.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
was that "no joke" or "no yolk"?

ubblol ubblol ubblol

*goes to die a lamers death*

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
But its a good yolk though!!

wink

*shakes foot at Rougie*
EDITED_BY: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace (1161157564)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MiG

Dude, get the censored over it. Seriously.

As over "what"? And Sir, Eerious left this place long time ago wink

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
guys dont get yourself 'beat' up about it.........

*silence.......*

biggrin

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
ubblol thanks rouge i needed saving

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:

Sheesh, better start walking on *ahem* eggshells in here.

(Yay for pun offs)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:

Jeez. Someone's ovary-sensitive today... spank

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You wanted to tell me something?

Non-Https Image Link

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
first of all ^ thatpicture is adorable!
Secondly Salmonella needs alot of bacteria to build up before you get and symptoms. This is why it takes 72 hours to appear because the bacteria needs to reproduce. This is also why you end up getting diahorrea as opposed to vomiting. The thing you need to worry most about with bacteria is cross contamination in foods which aren't being cooked. It's alright to eat a little bit of cookie dough just before you chuck it in the oven because there hasn't been enough time for alot of bacteria to be produced. If you leave the cookie dough for an hour before you chuck it in the oven DON'T eat it because it'll be a bacteria fest.
Same thing with cake mix. And always be careful to the point of stupidity around raw chicken. It's not that it is completly filled to the brim with bacteria just that it (like alot of meat products) are more likely to have it. Especially if you think about the atrocious ways the chickens are kept in. There is probably less salmonella in free range organic chicken than in barn hens. Someone should do a test on that...
Anyways you don't have to worry about eating raw eggs. Just follow normal food safety practices and you should be fine!!

Fear my wrath and call me muffin for I am the muffin of doom!!

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
Out of interest, the amount of salmonella that could possibly be contained in/on chicken meat has to do with how it is slaughtered - the bacteria lives in the animal's gut and is transferred to the meat in the slaughtering process. So it won't matter if it is disgustingly mass produced steriod/hormone fed or free range, but how it was slaughtered.

And I read all that after consuming half a very large bowl of anzac biscuit mix! No wonder I feel sick!! wink

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

over the bloody top.

No way am i going to stop muching on the cake mixture! bounce

If you NEED to have batter, use a vegan (non-egg) egg replacer. It doesn't make very good baked goods, but the batter is just as good.

I remember once making a batch of brownie batter just for my co-op to eat, and used vegan egg replacer (available at any health food store) because there was no plan to bake it.

Made me fantastically popular... :-D

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
^^^ would have made you incredible popular with me, Doc...

I'm happy to have helped rebuilding their reputation.

[ image removed due to increased sensibility ]

To anyone who thought I would be mad2ing and aim this specifically @ FiD as an exlusive attempt to proove something to her - it's not the case. There's been a misunderstanding/ -conception about raw eggs, it's commonly spread as I noticed - and it's a shame in the face of x-mas and raw cookie dough coming up along...

As to the vegetarian aspect of eggs (thanks for pointing in that direction, Doc): Personally I have a similar concept about eating eggs as of abortion... errm help no, I'd never... rolleyes ach, best is I just shut the censored up... meditate
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1161245471)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*sulks as the thread returns for vague sensible-ness*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
eggs-aclty biggrin

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde
Jointly owned by FreyaJ, Birgit and Aurinko

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Okay, who egged Dragosani on to make another pun? :P

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Dunno, but he's looking a little hen-pecked now...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I like Brenn...

Does that make me a Brenn-addict? (okay, clucking at straws now...)

Hmmmm, I'm hungry now

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
dude, that was rotten

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Mind you, we're all egging each other on - but when it goes bad, we're all going to end up with egg on our faces.

Pah, this thread is just a shell of it's former self

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

dude, that was rotten

May have been rotten but it was mine...

I wouldn't've poached it from anywhere else...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I don't think I can handle thinking of anymore egg-puns.

I think Humpty Dumpty was a manic depressive after hearing this kind of abuse all his life. He was in a bit of a pickle, started cracking up

and he JUMPED....

Pity he couldn't reap the benefits of being tended to by all the King's men... and their horses...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
No, I'm not going to take it back... mad

It's not a "continuum harrasser" and it doesn't need to be reported to the mods. ubbangel

But if you like it boiling, you may well put some heat on yourself. ubblol

Non-Https Image Link

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Juxtaposeur

I wouldn't've poached it from anywhere else...

Damnit, you've beaten me to it once again.

These are just eggscruciating

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
It's not ovary-clever for us to be scrambling to out-pun each other...

Ummm... I can't think of anymore more...

offtopic

biggrin

Page: