Forums > Technical Discussion > Short burn will damage my wicks?

Login/Join to Participate

AnthsonSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
Will not burning all the fuel off your fire poi heads ruin or damage them in any way?

I was doing a burn with some monkey fist poi and this was their first time being lit on fire. I soaked in kerosene for a minute or so. In the middle of my practice burn session, my daughter woke up. My wife is my safety so I can't really burn alone without risk. I smothered the poi in a wet towel, removed them from the towel after a few seconds, and we both went inside. Is this okay to do? The heads were still going pretty strong when they were extinguished.

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
yeah its okay.
the first time its actually better to not let them burn for to long.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yeah i find that after the first ever soak its best not to let them burn till they go out on their own. well with monkey fists anyway, you can not be sure you have soaked all of the wick so parts may burn dry = not good.

out of interst which monkey fists do you have? i had some and they broke, but they were craply designed and the metal ring was attatched to the actual wick which meant it flexed and ended up flying off the chain eek

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - shouldn't be a problem

Personally (although I know there's some disagreement here) - I would soak new wicks for a good couple of hours before their first burn to make sure the wick is fully soaked and you're not going to dry burn it.

I also give my smouldering wicks a quick re-dunk after they've gone out to keep the wicks moist - but again many people don't see the point of this.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
oh i thought it was only me that dipped them to keep them moist? yeay. biggrin

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

AnthsonSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
I'm using the monkey fist poi sold here at homeofpoi.com.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I find soaking them for about a day should remove anychance of smouldering nice fresh kevlar smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Little_Miss_Nebula

I find soaking them for about a day should remove anychance of smouldering nice fresh kevlar smile

Good to see that the urban legends are still around.

I've done a ton of experimenting on this and have found no benefit at all from presoaking wicks.

But someone, once thought it was a good idea so everyone does it.

The only thing that will definitely extend the life of a wick is sending me $20. It's true. tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnthsonSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
Another question: What's the best thing to do to your wicks after you put them out? I keep dunking them back into the kerosene to make sure they don't smolder. Is there something better to do with them?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I dunk them in the kerosene to stop the smouldering.

It's important that it is kerosene though- for those who use other fuels like white spirit, dunking hot/smouldering wicks would be very dangerous.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
I know many people who dip afterwards to stop them smouldering to make the wicks last longer, though personally i feel it won't save you any money as your using up fuel everytime you do this which will probably end up costing just as much asx you will save by making your wicks last that little bit longer.
However if you want to dip afterwards feel free to, I may well be wrong.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Though I would think any lost fuel is less pricey than the kevlar saved?

Especially when you take into account that most of the soaked up fuel will stay in the wicks and get used in a future burn.

That's just my instinct/guess, so i could be wrong.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NicodeamousGOLD Member
1 post

Posted:
It also seems to me a lot longer wait for new wicks. If you have to order, like I do.