Forums > Social Chat > UC Santa Cruz has gone bananas....

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ok, massive budget cuts came... we knew they were coming. It was an extremely strange move to drop the journalism minor, which is (was) the only one in the entire UC system. It also has been very positivly looked upon nationally, and is one of the few programs at UCSC to have that merit. Anyhow, thats not the craziest thing.

They have removed ALL of the basic language programs from UCSC except spanish.
That means All of the Arabic, all of the Hindi, Most of the Russian, Portueguese, and Greek, As well as first years of french, german, japanese, chinese, latin, italian and hebrew. Of those, only french is reliably offered in High Schools. yet the supposed reason for this cut is that everyone should have had their basic langauge instruction in high schools. This effectivly kills several langauge programs, the language studies major, the global economics major and the linguistics majors unless you are lucky and have studied through five years or so in high school, and stops many of the EAP programs from having people who are eligiable to go (EAP is thr program that sends students to study overseas for a quarter/semester/year).

People are trying to work on changing this, but can you even begin to find a motivation? This is ridiculous!

Peace, Kyri.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Kyri, welcome to School, you see if it isnt sports related they dont want too much to do with it. If it doenst bring bookoo bucks into the school who cares??!?! Ask them to not spend 4 million a year on their sports program and they will laugh you out of the school.

I am sorry this is happening to you, the harsh cold facts of this world is that if it doesnt make money it goes. Very stupid.

The Univerisity in my home town keeps on cutting programs to save money, but when they cut those programs they cut people out of the school and still loose money. It is truly sad.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Your mascot's a BANANNA SLUG, what'd you expect.

Actually, the funny part Ray, is that UCSC doesn't have the sports program that a UCLA (my alma matter) or Cal has which is actually a HUUUGE generator of revenue FOR it's educational system. The more you learn about college sports, the sicker you realize it is BUT... it does allow universities to keep things in the budget that it normally wouldn't be able to...

Sorry to hear about the loss, especially in public education. Hey, worst case scenario: drop out of school and come back and play with Nyx and me!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Soleilmember
41 posts

Posted:
my university over here doesnt take tactics like that. It gets millions of revenue each year from the government and from families (i go to one of the richest and top british unis)yet manages to not spend any of it on my department or the sport centre. We've been begging for months to extend the gym, open more money to clubs and pay for training.

Instead, they've bought more computers (when nearly every student has their own anyways)more supplies for the medical department, including a new building (no offense to meds but you know you're spoilt)and on putting a lift into the student union! Okay we need one but surely we could raise money for that (hence the role of charities officer)and spend the fivehundredthousand on something else. Like sport and education maybe...

Gargh! I totally feel for you...

get into ur union and kick some ass, its what its there for...

sol xx

HEEEEEEEEED!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I love how the government seems to think that education is this little nest-egg bank account that you can just pull money out of when you need it with no ill-effects at all.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, sports ain't the issue, its nuclear weapons reasearch contracts with the military that are being supported. In reality we did take a huge budget cut, but what they are doing is effectivly permanently killing the entire langauge program... w/o beginers there are no advanced, and once they fire all the staff they won't be able to get them back.... this is about teh stupidist thing that could be done, adn we are trying to figure out how to fight it, but it really scares me.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
*Stands corrected*

Whelp shows ya what I know

I have never been to Uni or college but from what I have seen Student Unions dont do anything but set up homecomming and what not. (A sprots related event!)

Bah, they should ban organised sports!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
That is horrible news!! UCSC had such a wonderful language program too. I'm sure that students will not be quiet about it, but I hope that there will be someway to stop this from happening. - The journalism major was also really good from my understanding.... Public education is suffering on all levels right now. Guess it's not really too much of a priority Good luck getting through it. I think we're all in for a tough time here. Hopefully things will change, but it's not lookin' too good right now.