Forums > Social Chat > Heroes -- the new show about superpowers *possible SPOILERS*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I've completely gotten obsessed with the new show Heroes, about ordinary people (like junkies and webcam strippers ubblol) who develop superpowers. It's kind of a cross between X-Men and Lost. There've only been three episodes but I'm hooked, hooked, hooked. Anyone else seen it and want to geek out? Has it even aired outside the States yet?
EDITED_BY: _khan_ (1162506395)

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
Stan Lee!

Am I insane, or was Hiro's bus driver none other than Stan 'The Man' Lee?

Also, wtf was with Peter and his scary deep voice psycho thing? Has Sylar affected him more than he thought?

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that was Stan Lee. We saw his name in the credits so we expected him in some weird little place like that.

Loved last night! Finally back to the interesting, the gripping, the intriguing.

Ummm...sorry Sylar is icky to me and in no way attractive. I agree with the Mohinder acting stupidly. It is annoying me very much as well. I also think Sylar is being stupid by not picking and choosing the powers he absorbs. I wonder if there will be a time when he can't control them (love how the new one is affecting him) or overloads.

Did NOT see the whole Peter-Isaac-Simone thing coming. Honestly, I thought Peter was going to go Sylar on Isaac out of anger, not intentionally. I love seeing how these relate.

Claude better come back! He rocked and is so interesting with the whole back story thing now.

I am also interested to see what Bennett does now that Claire is standing up to him.

I don't like how in order to really know some of the characters you have to read the online comics. It's rather annoying actually. I think they should be more of an augmentation and not a necessity. As they keep introducing characters it seems more necessary. Bleh.

Still, I like that it is getting better (and seemed to pull away from the aforementioned boring stories).

I have to admit, I was set to be disappointed. The whole hype on this one was "Someone Flies, Someone Dies" We kind of knew who would fly. That was a gimme. The death we figured was Claire's mom, no tears. But when she didn't die and the hearing lady could, we kind-of went "Well, hell. That sucked." And then they shot that one out of the water and it blew us away, so all is right in the world! wink

Ugh...BSG! Nothing like the *real* one. It's a soap opera in space. I'll take Heroes anyday. tongue

Oh and Faith, yeah. LeVar Burton has been doing alot of directing but lately his most notable ones are Gilmore Girls, which I think is kinda cool. In fact, a good number of Treks have turned to direction as I know Brent Spiner and Jonathon Frakes did as well, though Brent Spiner was also on a great alien show as a scientist before it got cancelled.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i knew about the others but not levar and again i miss the good show cuz of work

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'd disagree about the comics, I'd not seen any of them until kahn mentioned them again here , so I thought I'd look them up.

I saw epp 16 earlier today, and just read comic 1 to 20 (all there is at this point) and cute though they are I don't in any way feel their necessary.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
What a crazy episode. I didn't like Simone anyway, she was a biatch. Both Peter and Isaac coulda done better, well maybe not Peter lol. Was still shocked to see what happened, didn't expect that at all. Can't wait for the next one! Glad I'm collecting them in divx.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pythonjosh

What a crazy episode. I didn't like Simone anyway, she was a biatch. Both Peter and Isaac coulda done better, well maybe not Peter lol. Was still shocked to see what happened, didn't expect that at all. Can't wait for the next one! Glad I'm collecting them in divx.

Really? I thought she was a biatch with a purpose. Isaac deserved to be treated the way he was by her, he really screwed her around.

Ya know, Peter. Ever since I saw that actor on the poster next to Sly Stallone and realised how alike they are, I can't get past it. It's taken any amount of cute he might have had and stripped it away from him. ubblol

Pele

Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
Hmm. I had a realisation last night, re: Peter's scary deep voice thing - Didn't he meet Eden at Mohinder's (*yawn*) apartment?

Eww, Liza Minelli...

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I thought he was channeling sylar

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fNi

I thought he was channeling sylar

Sylars voice doesn't change though. Eden got that weird voice thing on, where it went all deep, and raspy and almost phone sex-like.
Peter's wasn't like that though. At least, I wouldn't pay a buck 99 a minute to hear it.
shrug

Pele

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
There was at least one instance of Sylar's voice going all boomy and echoey. It was at the holding cell at Primatech, and Mr. Bennett was kind of mocking him a bit and called him by his real name, and he yelled "My name is Sylar!" in that voice. Actually, I'm not sure if that was the line, but it was a scene at Primatech.

It seems like maybe there was one other instance of it. They haven't done it a lot though, and there's been no indication of what that voice does or represents (unlike with Eden's persuasion voice).

~ ani di franco

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
I've only just started watching the series, I think its up to episode 5 now.

Any idea where I can catch the first 4 eps? confused

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
I'm sure someone said you could get them on the Sci-Fi channel website, but I haven't checked.

Eww, Liza Minelli...

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
you should be able to find it streaming if you google them. torrents are good too

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
I caved. I'm trying to DL them now of DC++.

I hate torrent stuff, I never seem to be able to get them to work properly. Grrrr.

From the pics though I'm not sure I'll like it ... and the descriptions of their powers sounds a bit ... boring. Like the 4400 which had so much promise but then totally pooped out !

Still, I'm a die-hard Lost addict so maybe once I watch it I'll get into it !!!!!

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
half the fun - if you're a comicbook (usually X-Men) fan - is recognising powers and seeing which character the writers have given them to.

Like giving Wolverine's healing factor to a blond cheerleader makes for some really blackly comic moments...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

346 posts

Posted:
I do like Xmen ... just not the old stuff. But, also, I just haven't kept up with the gazillion different money-making spins and reworks that seem to appear all the time ... like putting the word "Ultimate" in front of a normal comicbook thus allowing a total rework !

Personally I'm a Spawn, Creed, Core, Evil Ernie (Anything Chaos! actually) type of guy. Definately don't like things like Superman or Spiderman ... not groovin on the old-skool stuff.

Thing is, I'm hesitant to get into another show - 1 reason being time, the other being the whole cancellation issue.

Space: Above and Beyond was doing well, then got cancelled. Same with Farscape (My all time favourite Sci-Fi show) and a few others ... But ... first Episodes almost done now ... kinda itching to see it and see if the fuss is justified !!!!

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
slightly offtopic-- New York Comic Con this weekend... Stan Lee's supposed to be there

and I'm in MA. grrrr

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
E_V_I_L, Farscape was on awhile at least, which is more than Firefly got.
Sounds like you also like the Dark Heros, which there are a few of on the show that you might like.

Neon, while alot of the powers are inspired by Marvel/etc. I still think it is way different. It isn't as cliche and thank gods there is no spandex...yet! lol

Pele

346 posts

Posted:
Yeah, 4 series and then Peacekeeper Wars mini-series. Firefly got 2 and then a Movie ... or was it just the one series ? Still good.

Dark ? Maybe ... ubblol I do usually prefer the villains - the more mutated and monstrous looking the better. Or just plainly psychotic and sociapathic.

Heard about Sylar ... I get the feeling I'll be rooting for the skull-sawing serial killer .....

Looking forward to watching the first episode now ... though some of the powers seem a little poo-ey ... up to episode 12 now isn't it ? I wiki'd it earlier and they made reference to things happening in eps 11/12.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Firefly didn't even get a full series! 14 episodes (Including the feature-length opener)

Stick with 'Heroes', it's not the powers, its how people use them...

Sylar.. ubblove

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

346 posts

Posted:
Not even a full series ? Doh! Least Dark Angel got 2 ... Jessica Alba goodness ... and my Ex looked like her too a bit ... shame she was a nutter.

How they use 'em ? Interesting. Time Travel ... that'd be interesting to use. I could abuse that power no end I bet ... Mwah !

Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Like giving Wolverine's healing factor to a blond cheerleader makes for some really blackly comic moments...

It'll be better when she gets her adamantium claws, of course... ubblol

I think Firefly and Farscape are both better for having been prematurely axed. Both could easily have gone the X-Files/Angel/Buffy/any-other-fantasy-show route of just going on too long, and becoming almost parody.

In a way it might be best if Heroes only runs for this one storyline, cos once everyone knows about everyone else, and they combine to form a team of superheroes, fighting evil and saving the world (if that happens...) it could rapidly degenerate into second-rate sci-fi.

Eww, Liza Minelli...

346 posts

Posted:
Just watched the first episode.

I admit it. I'm hooked.

Shhhh..... is it just me, or does anyone else just want to hug Hiro until he pops ? I'm a fully grown bloke but he's so cute ! ubblol

Downloading many, many more episodes right now .... and then off to go spinning ! Yayness !

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That was freakin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many things I did not see coming...finally.
Sad about Matt and Ted though, but ya know, it'll work out.
And the lines keep crossing more than a celtic knot!

I also love that tonights followed one "thought".

Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Pele

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
yes yes -- fantastic episode! Lots of unexpected twistiness and the story's just getting richer.

Hayden gave a great performance. Especially on the bridge and the scene with the glasses. That scene was rather poignant I thought. So much stuff I'm resisting the urge to talk about...

The convergence of storylines was really satisfying.

~ ani di franco

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I finished watching episode 17 last night biggrin all 17 episodes in 2 days you really notice the the recurrance of the symbol on the sword and nikki.

I love the way they showed 14 years ago and how the group dynamics seem to change regularly, there iare no real "baddies" as yet really except possibly sylar.

1 thing I want to know is does the haitian have 2 powers or is there someone else as some of the earlier episodes seemed to have someone / where with a power deadening effect....

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
The Haitian could deaden powers, or at least it was implied that he was supressing Eden, Matt, Sylar and others when they were around Mr Bennett.

Huh, never thought I'd actually feel sympathy for that guy. Very good episode!

Eww, Liza Minelli...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
yeah it was implied his powers deadened others but that didn't happen at the end of episode 17 did it, he came in the house to get out the family and everything continued..."avoids spoiler".. surely the incident would have stopped?

so is there another that we haven't met yet? I think the haitians mind couldn't be read because he wasn't thinking of anything. I really enjoyed watching all the episodes end on end it made a lot of things fit together easier than waiting a week and forgetting stuff.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
I reckon it's something he has to consciously do, perhaps? Plus it seems to have affected only those with mental powers - ie Eden's jedi mind-tricks, the cop's mind reading etc.

Also it seems to affect active powers more than passive ones - Claire can still heal, so perhaps Radioactive Man (Up and Atom!) couldn't be suppressed? Or perhaps I'm just wildly speculating?

Eww, Liza Minelli...

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I agree with psychotic furby -- it seems like it's something he has to consciously do, and we have only seen it work against other types of mental powers.

~ ani di franco

Page: ......