Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Heheheh...Ok... this might be kinda stoopid.. but I figger I'll do it anyway 'coz it seems like it might be another fun "get to now your HOP'ers" thread...I check this site lots during the day because I sit here in this large, tiled, basement office in an old univeristy building (supposedly) maintaining departmental websites. My interns give me strange looks as I weave seemingly arcane patterns in the air with my wrists as small animated gifs and mpegs flicker across the screen...Heh...What other environments do we call our home away from HOP? Anybody else find themselves cmoing here to break up the tedium of the day?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
home away from HOP eh? A Call Center for Time Warner... smile Everyone looks at me with strange looks when I do hand movements.. Then I pull out my home-made poi and they give me even stranger looks of.."What the hell are those?" at least..until I start spinning them.. Then they stare... *grin*------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
yeah so HOP and a couple of other things are more or less in the background while my computer sits and renders my 3d archiCAD stuff.Pere

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Definitely!I'm usually to be found pottering away in the lab which is great because my office is only about 3.5m x 1.5m (11ft x 5ft) AND I have to share it with someone (believe me, you become very close friends very quickly! grin).There is one big desk in there and also a strange thermostat gadget on the wall that is 120cm x 40cm x 20cm (4ft x 16" x x8"). Part of one wall is missing and it hasn't even got a door. This is probably a good thing because there wouldn't be room to open it.Also, my chair hasn't got a back and is really small so that I can get to and from my desk (after I've climbed over my "cupboard-mate")I used to only ever go in there to enter sequence data and check my e-mail, so I didn't really care that it was smaller than most wardrobes. Unfortunately, since discovering this most excellently, fabulously, groovy site I seem to be spending more and more time huddled in my shoebox checking up on the world of poi.How I envy you in your tiled basement office with room enough to "weave those arcane patterns in the air". I have to leave my office if I want to have a stretch and, to learn new moves, I have to try and memorise the video until I get home - not easy when you're a self-confessed amnesiac with an average memory span of 3 minutes.Still, this is my home-from-home and I actually quite like it in here - it's certainly unique and it's got a couple of massive windows looking out over fields and trees (and a couple of knackered outbuildings!). smile From my happy microcosmic cupboard smileNoodsP.S. I've got lots of shelves, a telephone AND a wastepaper bin.P.P.S. Who says science doesn't need more funding? winkP.P.S.

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I hog the office's band with all day long keeping the HOP web site open watching for new posts.I do AutoCAD all day so the site keeps me sane. I too do the hand motions while sitting in my chair, while swiviling around mimicking forward and reverse weaves..Evertime i open a Mpeg video, some walks up behind me. "dont you ever work??" is the common response.We drove to Arkansas from texas this past weekend for Dan test (black belt test) and Dan Tournament to select our regional sparring team. Our Holiday inn express had a business center, i spent abuot 30 minutes a day in there reading posts..(Super' meekly raises hand and stands) Hello my name is Andrew, and im an a Poi Addict)Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I work/plan/write/manage from home.At Faire nothing we do is unusual, nothing nayone does is unusual. For goodness sake, people hug trees to bond with them in character, people dress like chickens and squeak through kazoos, one guy plays with his nipples, another set flings themselves into mud pits, one guy sticks swords and other assorted things down his gullet, another one wears this antique clown mime outfit with this enormous rigging of a moth while he carries a fake candle, we do stupid comedy antics and fire. And this is in a practice day, you should see a performance!!!! I don't even think about poi for a break,fire yes..poi no, but things are so opposite for me than any of you I have trouble explaining or relating. Damn I love my job!!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Whoa, Crazy Raver Dude- What do you do for TW? My father is a tech assist. dude for RR. Wild.-PSM------------------"One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind."-Alphonse Bertillon

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
I work in what is called 'The Flight Deck' for IBM-GSA in Sydney. Lots of companies computers are watched and protected here. Lots of dorky, socially inept ppl are watched and protected here. Shift work and a 2.4 metre projection screen have mad for some memorable movie session (like the Star Wars trilogy from start to finish in one night!!) but alas we have now been barred from it's use. (bugger!)People always want to watch me 'do my thing' but as soon as I make an error the heckling begins (no understanding!).

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
This is my safe haven at work all day long. I work for Verizon (ack) and sit in front of a computer all day long... so this is a permanent window open to a brighter world free of anger, hostility, and cynicism. smileI am indebted to you Malcolm, thanks to you, I still have my sanity! grin (i think)------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i have the site minimized all day practically here at school while i'm doing graphic work or writing a paper or rendering animations for class. if i'm at a computer then the site is up and i periodically check it for posts and new threads. some say i'm addicted to my computer and the internet, not just this site. i admit it and am on my computer the majority of the day. or i'm on someone elses if i'm visiting them. either way i check the site. and it's a good break during all nighters in the lab.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well - I check HOP from my open space office...I check it from home too..for a webdeveloper, I think I spend too much time developing my twirling, and not my sites..Josh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
psychomonkey,Well..I'm the guy who sits at the call center and types in all the appointments for new digital cable installs. I also send/verify all new RoadRunner orders. Kind of a crap job..but at least I have internet access, get paid salary, and work in a REALLY laid back atmosphere. =) (I'm a Network Engineer and PHP Programmer by trade.)Seems as though most of everyone here has internet access...Would everyone(looking for collective response here..) be interested in a poi-radio segment...basically live-streaming audio(our own internet radio station)...it would work similar to public radio. Everyone submits songs(mp3) or names of songs(I can use Napster...wow), and I can place them all in a playlist to be played for all of us to enjoy all day long. =) It could be a compilation of everyones favorite musics. Any thoughts??------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Crazy Raver- "I think you just became my personal hero." That's Genius! Of course we should. Music and talk, it's perfect. Im assuming you know how to go about this? Wow I like it.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Damn Poi addiction.. smileHere I am at work at 11:15pm...rather than finishing my work to get the hell outta here(to go practice)..I'm reading/sending messages on this board. heh..Prime Example of my obsessive compulsiveness with Poi. smile------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Yes, yes and yes!!!!My job can get quite boring so when I am not busy (which is a lot of the time) I check this site and whenever I am nodding off during a translation, checking the board or watching the video of that damned backward weave, I wake up a little and my sanity recovers.Mine is a huge communal office, no particians, so everybody gets to see me dossing off all day! I sold my computer as I used to spend half my night on-line, and since I spend so much of the day on line now, I decided to get rid of it.So whenever I am posting, I am usually wasting company time.Nice!------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I am currently avoiding both work and finishing an essay for my masters. I could have gone home an hour ago, but decided to check this board before I do. Often I've got the videos running in the background trying to cement the moves in my subconscious before going home and trying them out.Oh, and my office has a nice bank of windows that I get to procrastinate even further by looking out at the clouds, trees and birds (swallows and pied currawongs today Pere, if you're interested).

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I have to ask...I know what a swallow is...But what is a pied currawong? (:------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Crazy Raver Dude,I can so relate to what you said about staying back late at work to read about what's happening in the world of poi/staff! I often find myself still here at 11pm at night.My partner works until midnight each night so there's no reason to rush home! Instead of vegetating in front of the tv I've filled my evenings with the home of poi and lots of fun firey gatherings with the Sydney fire crew. smileI work in an open plan office. My colleagues and my boss think it's hilarious when I stop them in the middle of whatever it is they're doing to show them something new. As for keeping the home of poi window open... I've become a master at surreptitiously hitting alt tab to switch screens quickly. hehehehe! If only 'they' knew! smileMy boss is constantly at me to perform at whatever office function is coming up. I'm yet to take up the challenge. The people who work here (with the exception of my team - they know it's true wink ) already think I'm a lefty, radical, troublemaker. God knows what they'd think if they saw me dancing with two balls of fire!Finn smile

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
hey cool the Currawongs smile we used to get choruses of them in the evening at my study site, magpies too, cool noise. and for those of you who dont live in australia (or for those who do and don't know their bird nosies) you can hear some at:https://155.187.10.12/sounds/Pere

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Pere: Fab sounds! But your magpies are something completely different to what we call Magpies over here. Ours are black-and-white and sound like yodellers with severe laryngitis crossed with a set of rusty hinges (not really too melodic!). I think their real name is Pica pica or something like that.Erm, just thought you might like to know...... smileNoods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible