Forums > Technical Discussion > Double cathedral fire poi: distance between first head and handle?

Login/Join to Participate

CoOksBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Hey guys!
I am trying to do my own double pois and I was wondering, do you know what the distance should at least be between the handles and the first head? any ideas. If someone already has double pois, can you tell which distance you have? thanks

Twirling rooocks!! bounce

Who needs boys, when there's pois?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The distance between the end of the handle and the end of the wick (ie - the total length) should be the distance between your fingertips and your armpit.

ubbrollsmile

CoOksBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
yes, I know that, but if I want to make double pois, what should be the distance between the handle and the first head from the top so I have a safe enough distance and dont risk to burn my hands weavesmiley
bounce

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, as long as you keep spinning, you wont burn your hands.. confused

CoOksBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
lol, no kidding!!!

i went and asked in shop, thanks biggrin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
..........yet another example of ucof at his most useful tongue

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Indeed...

A key factor is how big the handle-end head is as this effects the size of the flame, and thus how close it can be to your hand smile

For purely visual reasons, I'd put the first head in the middle of the poi, as if (when wink) you do isolations - this head really emphasises the move as it floats perfectly still.

Other than that - It depends on what effect you're going for with the double-heads. If they're too close together, they'll look like one big head for the first part of the burn (when the flames are largest) - so you want a fair amount of distance between them.

Finally, if the heads are the same weight, you might find them strange to use if the top head is too near the handle as it upsets the weighting when you spin them

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CoOksBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
thanks a lot smile
i guess I ll do it like you recommanded: the first head in the middle of the poi smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Just to let everyone know, this is an internet forum and everything I am writing is text.

wink

(except that icon. That is called a smiley)

wink

(and that one)

CoOksBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
If anyone wants to make their own pois I finally know how to make by myself the middle poi for really little money.

What you need: just add two if you want to make triple pois or even 4 if you want quadruple pois etc..

4x chains : 20 cm (the length dependds on how long you want your pois to be) always take a bit longer than you want, you can always shorten them

4x chains : about 6 cm (that is for the chains you re going to put the kevlar around, so this depends on how large your kevlar is)

6x karabiners: (also works with 4 if you dont make an extre chain for the poi at the end)

8x screws: to fix the kevlar on the chains

its pretty simple, just connect the short chains with the long ones with the karabiners and fix the kevlar on them with the screws. WARNING: YOU MUST MAKE THE SCREWS GO THROUGH THE CHAINS, OR THEY WILL SLIP AND WONT STAY ON THEM AND THAT IS VERY DANGEROUS IF YOU ARE USING FIRE

Its not the same effect as on real pois ( its home-made buddy!) but a lot cheaper eek