Forums > Social Discussion > young boy banned from eating his packed lunch in school dinner hall UK

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
seen this story on the news this morning, a young boy was banned from eating his packed lunch in the school dinner hall by his school simply because of it's contents.

he was frog marched off to the head masters office, even had some of the contents of his luch box confiscated and has now been banned from eating his lunch in peace with his friends.......................... his crime??? nothing much really

this boy's father had made his packed lunch, he had some sandwiches, an apple, a small pot of fromagé fré, a cup cake and a small packet of mini chedders.

yet the school has adopted a "healthy eating" pollicy and deemed that only 1 or 2 snacks where allowed in a persons luch box or with a school dinner and they classed him to have exceeded this limit.

he was warned about this but his father sent the school a letter explaining why he had packed such contents and still this lad was singled out in the dinner hall infront of the entire school and frog marched to the head masters office where one item was confiscated.

is this pollicy and regulations gone mad?? is this out of order??

discuss

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Maybe schools SHOULD adopt a healthier eating stance.

Maybe schools SHOULD ban unhealthy foods seeing as certain studies have shown that, in addition to benefits to health, a good diet can quell hyperactive and disruptive behaviour.

But it was inherantly WRONG to frog-march a kid to the headmaster's office and chastise him in front of the entire school in order to make an example of him. Especially since the so-called 'crime' was perpetrated by the father, in which case it is a matter to be dealt with between the teacher and the parent in private. Were all the parent's sent a letter explaining the policy?

The poor kid might now be frightened into not eating so much as a crumb of chocolate at school now but was it really necessary to publicly humiliate and emasculate him in front of his peers? For all we know he might now be the subject of bullying, his confidence shattered and in a worst case scenario develop an eating disorder as a result...

Then again it's not as if courts of law have singled out certain offenders with harsher punishments than usual as a deterrent is it?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You know the rules, you disobey and you suffer the consequences. What's the point here, rave?

"Learn the rules in order to break them properly"

He's lucky they didn't expell him from school completely, as he rebelled against the law[/irony]

When will they make a rule about appropriate underwear and check upon entry? rolleyes

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
it's just another case (in my opinion) of Britain completely over-reacting and missing the point. The metro's headline today (yeah I know, it's the Metro, but still!!!) was that according to a study kids are too fat because their parents won't let them play outside because of paedophiles. I mean, for Christ's sake. Next they'll use that as an excuse for not sending them to school anymore. And if you're THAT worried about your kids' health you'll at least make them exercise inside.

It's like when they said on the radio 1 that kids didn't play outside anymore because they're scared of terrorism.

Apart from that... I bet the teacher who marched off that poor kid had a biscuit with his/her tea at coffee break, too.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I watched sky news the other nigt for the first time in about 6 months.

I have never seen such biast inflammatory crap in all my life.

Is this really news? A kid gets into trouble in school for breaking the rules?

God almighty.

Love is the law.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

Is this really news? A kid gets into trouble in school for breaking the rules?

God almighty.

ubblol

i concur.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

7,193 posts

Posted:
what is the world coming to when a school thinks a yoghurt is unhealthy (this is what the school confiscated)

it's a fricking yoghurt FFS, i can understand a schools outcry when a group of mothers complain the food their kids are getting is TOO healthy and then take play ground orders for burger and chips from the local chip shop but this is just crazy.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

When will they make a rule about appropriate underwear and check upon entry? rolleyes

I'm quite a bit older than most of you on these boards and the secondry school I attended used to have a rule about what underwear you had to wear as uniform. The deputy head made girls walk over a mirror so she could check them if she thought you were not wearing full uniform. Luckly for me this all stopped the year before I started there and I never got caught out for having on the wrong knickers. They did still have rules about skirt length, sock and tights colour etc. They were very stricked on uniform code. shrug I guess it did me no harm.

As for the packed lunches question I agree with Dave (Neon Shaolin)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skulduggery

They were very stricked on uniform code. shrug I guess it did me no harm.

Might've made you concentrate more on spelling biggrin

(sorry, petty I know but couldn't resist... Pre-emptive spank )

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol i remeber when the school i was at banned trainers for the reason they brought in too much mud, so everone went out and bought boots with the biggest, deepest treads they could fiind ubblol the best ones where british MK1 army boots as when you scuffed your feet on the floor they left mice black marks......................the ban was lifted after a year ubblol

anyhoooooooooo back to the packed lunch subject, i used to have a packed lunch every day, 4 sandwiches, packet of crisps, 2 oranges and 2 kitkats and even then i was hungry by 3pm. i'm not fat, obese or hyperactive but i imagine this father had the same problem with his kid and chucked in the extra snack to keep his son going through out the day

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Dave hun you can correct my spelling all you like. I'm dyslexic and use word pictures. If I have the picture wrong tell me. I all helps me to get better. hug

No spanking from me, sorry. I know thats what you wanted really biggrin wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Us as parents arent taking responsibilty for our childrens health. The amount of prepackaged rubbish that is put into lunchboxes as normal food is amazing. Not as a treat but as standard. We had a backlash at our school when healthy food checks were done at recess and rewards given. Parents took it as being told whats good for their kids was an insult to them, not as trying to introduce healthy eating habits.

I have one child that will eat 10 peices of friut a day and has a great lunchbox and two who think fruit is kryptonite and have only sandwiches. I consider crisps a treat but many kids I see have rollups and chocolate that must be death on teeth and is a quick sugar boost but leaves them with no reserves.
Not sure what the answer is but parents need to take these ideas on board for the right reasons.

I agree that it wasn't handled well and I hope that the father and the school approaches it from a positive manner to sort it out.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I'm having trouble caring.

I'm with ado-p, this is what passes for news?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:

Dave hun you can correct my spelling all you like. I'm dyslexic and use word pictures. If I have the picture wrong tell me. I all helps me to get better. hug

footinmouth redface

No spanking from me, sorry. I know thats what you wanted really biggrin wink

Spoilsport...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Dave hun you have not footinmouth at all. Just because I'm dyslexic doesn't mean you can't point out where my spelling sucks! ubblol

Like I said before, if people let me keep on using incorrect spelling because I'm dyslexic I'll never get the word pictures right in my head. hug

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
spank

There you go, Dave, I feel generous today.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
Ah the joys of a slow news day. This story is gonna end up with a HUGE lawsuit most likely *sigh* the world is going to pot. Healthier eating does need to be increased in schools but you can't and shouldn't really control a packed lunch. And there is absolutely no need to punish the child if their parent gives them too many snacks. It's the parents fault, not the kids and making that much of a fuss about it will have done more harm than good. smile but that's just my two cents.

Fear my wrath and call me muffin for I am the muffin of doom!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I find this report quite shocking

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/04/30/nedu30.xml

We do need to do more to sort out the diet of our community, but I think punishing a child for what is after all the fathers choices is wrong.

(the fact there is an add for chocolate and alcohol in the middle of that report worries me a little bit too.)
EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1161012226)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Agreed Skully. Unless genetics are on your side its not loking good.
Maybe it has to do with parents in families having to work longer hours and not feeling safe about kids playing away from home. Yards are smaller so less activity happens in them.
Junk food is so cheap to buy. Easy option to chuck in prepackaged food and fair chance the kid will eat instead of binning it or bringing it home again. Lunch box doesnt get as dirty either.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
The obesity is because it's too easy to get too much food or too much of the wrong type of food. There are thousands of different brands of snack foods and the majority of them aren't healthy. We no longer have the stay at home mothers to prepare and cook loving meals as they're working an many can't be bothered o come in an play house so you get frozen meals or other easy to cook things. It doesn't help that the unhealthy food tastes nice either. Sports programs in schools need to inprove. Kids need to be conditioned to LIKE excersise if they'e going to be expected to enjoy it later in life. Or even to stop them bunking out of PE lessons or conveniently forgetting their kit.

becciPancake Maker
151 posts

Posted:
I work in a primary school in Wales where we are meant to have an obesity problem. I find those figure hard to believe. Ok we do get some over weight children... I would guess about 4% of the school with under 1% falling into the obese category. I would say tho that I would estimate that around 8% if not more are potentially underweight.

I work through the lunch hour so I get to see the rubbish that most of the kids have in their lunch boxes. It really is shocking the junk they are given by their parents. I would have to say that the school dinners are worse tho. Unfortunately our lunches are provided by an outside agency so the school has very little say. It would cost thousands for the school to but the kitchen equiptment which is such a shame.

So much food does get thrown away too. The amount of sandwiches and fruit etc that appear in the bin with the crisp packets and chocolate wrappers is shocking. (The rubbish they bring in to drink is scary too). There are a small minority of parents that obviously try, but with most children i'm sure parents put in what is easy and what they know the child will eat.

there is a huge problem with children's diets but I can't see what can be done without it becoming a nanny state. It's just a shame that so many parents can't see what they are doing to their children and that those eating habits will probably be stuck with them for life.

Gotta get off my soap box and take my son to footy training!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'd recommend mandatory health training for parents. Complete with hospital visits to see what being overweight can do to their and their kids' bodies.

On another note, when I was in a hotel a while ago and had a tv for the first time in ages, I saw a programme on alcohol disorder in kids whose mothers had been drinking during pregnancy. While a lot of the women on it agreed that they had been given leaflets that mentioned that a lot of alcohol wasn't good for them, they also said they hadn't read it. There was a group of six pregnant women who all blamed their doctors for not explicitly telling them how much alcohol was allowed and what might happen to the child if they still drank.

Now maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to believe that anyone in their right state of mind and with access to newspapers and tv and radio would not know that drinking during pregnancy can harm an unborn child. Even if it's just from the Sun criticising Jordan for drinking when she was pregnant, you would've heard about it. So I tend to believe that even if their doctor had mentioned it, they would still have blamed the doctor for not calculating the exact amount of their favourite drink a day that would be okay.

I really think the only way to get through to people like that is take them to a hospital and show them what happens. Show them children with disorders because of alcohol, smoking and drugs, and those that are type 2 diabetics at age 10, can hardly walk and have heart problems because they're so seriously overweight, or at least show them movies. Maybe that will get at least a small percentage to switch on their brains.

Rant over.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

I'm having trouble caring.

I'm with ado-p, this is what passes for news?

Indeed.

And it's sad that stories like this are often so out of context. There are always going to be kids and situations that push the limits of 'rules'.

Violence in schools, so let's ban weapons. Good idea. But where do we draw the line? And what about the kid that goes a half a step over the line? And then lets write a stupid article about the kid who went slightly over the line whithout mentioning that it was the 42nd time he'd done it or what he said to the headmaster or...

EIther schools have a responsibility for the heath of a child or they don't. But don't whine about the exact situation that's clearly just on one side of the line. Especially when there are such bigger issues in Education.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

becciPancake Maker
151 posts

Posted:
I think you would care if you worked in a school and could see the difference in the children after lunch or snack times. You have some high on sugar rush with no concentration, some lethargic after eating stodgy junk, and a few having had a healthy balanced lunch who are much better students.

What children eat affects how they learn and their classroom behaviour.

This goes for breakfast too, with many schools being encouraged to run breakfast clubs (funded in low income areas) to provide children with a sensible breakfast.

so the debate goes on.....should the school have any say in what gets eaten there as it does have an effect on the learning environment of all pupils.

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
IT'S NOT FOOD WHICH IS THE PROBLEM!!!
It's the exercise. You can eat all you like and still be fit if you get enough exercise. Especially children, they shouldn't worry if they're overweight because they will GROW!!!
I'm sorry if i'm a bit offtopic but i thought i'd make my point

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

becciPancake Maker
151 posts

Posted:
It is the food......and the exercise. The 2 go hand in hand.
A modern average child eating

breakfast- choco straws,
snack- choc bar
lunch- white bread choc spread sandwiches, crisps, can of pop, cake, cheese strings and another choc bar or chocolate mousse.
after school- sweets and slush from the shop
dinner- oven chips and chicken nuggets (and thats on the days they don't go maccy d's!!)
maybe some ice cream for dessert, and prob another bag of crisps!

no I'm not making this up....it's what a LOT of the kids at my school eat most days.

I'm sorry but if you are saying it's not the food what planet do you live on?

Please note this is not my children's diet - they get 5-8 fruit and veg a day and around 12 hrs of organised sport a week (I'm at the sports center 6 days out of 7 for one of their activities) as well as the lunchtime footy match and the usual 2hrs at the soft play land.

Children with poor eating habits as children are very likely to continue those into adulthood. And with that junk inside them i'm surprised they have the energy to get up and walk around let alone exercise.

Children should be especially worried if they are overweight, it is not just a case of they will grow- but yes they will grow and grow and grow and become obese adults!

Schools do also have an obligation to provide pupils with 1 1/2 to 2 hrs of physical activity a week. Most also provide a choice of after school sports.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Hmm.... you can go too far with controlling your kid's diet though.. I know when I was little I must have had the healthiest diet in the school- my parents grew most of their own veg, and had no money, so we never got junk food at home..

So as soon as I got old enough to have my own money I just pigged out on chocolate and total junk..

I do remember being told off my the head for taking sweets to school -my grandpa was looking after us and stuck a stick of rock in my lunch box- but then, he also sent my brother to school in pyjamas once so she knew he was a bit vague.. wink
I think she just told me not to do it again and looked disapproving..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
I seem to remember a story somewhere about kids eating too much fatty foods and blocking their intestines because of this there was obviously nowhere for the eated and digested food to reverse throuh what is usually a one way street shall we say.
Managed to get me to decide to feed my kids only healthy stuff.

7,193 posts

Posted:
i hear what your saying about foods eaten and excercise going hand in hand but in this day and age schools are so [censored] scared that they will be sued because of a grazed knee or a bump on the head it's a wonder the children are even allowed outside to play games, as for the lack of phisical education and games lessons.

back on topic...................... people are making this father out to be evil for simply puting in an extra treat for his child, it won't kill the lad ubblol it was a yoghurt FFS!!! it's not like his old man has packed him up a kebab and chips is it ubblol

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Neon J wrote what I wanted to write in his first post, but he wrote it better smile

And holy crap @ what was confiscated... I was wondering as i read the first post, 'did they not understand what fromagé fré was? or did they count each individual mini chedder as an individual?' lol

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I struggle to see the 3 unhelthy "snacks"
Fromage frais (maybe too much sugar) is a good source of dairy and bionutrients.
cupcake probably
mini cheddars they're bloomin crackers ain't they?

I agree about exercise and jeef and Ado-P would you be upset if this was YOUR child being upset and thier lunch taken from them by people whose care you have entrusted them to?

If some one did that to Dom I would be very upset.

hell did they even ask if he was Diabetic? and needed the sugar...unlikely, fair due it's not war in the middle east but it is something that could effect any of us.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Page: