Page: ...
tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
I thought i would start a thread for people interested in fire staff juggling,i am really interested to see any videos of people throwing two or more staffs,and in particular anyone taking it in new direction.
I am currently working on routines with two and three staffs and contemplating a serious attempt at the four staff shower,

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
www.rubberheart.com wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Hey Tim.. I don't remember if we've talked about this with you.. but 2 object siteswaps can be very useful for double staff juggling. I'm sure you could find a lot of interesting things from there. Find a pattern and then make variations to it by changing where to throw or catch and so on...

Try 5-0-1 for example.. It's one of my favourites. Especially with all throws from the outside.

I'll try to get back to staff juggling this winter and work on something new.. maybe even vids..

Point your toes.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
checkout the user imakokode (i think thats how it is spelt) hes pretty good at juggling staffs

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Antti

ubblol

Hey Tim.. I don't remember if we've talked about this with you.. but 2 object siteswaps can be very useful for double staff juggling. I'm sure you could find a lot of interesting things from there. Find a pattern and then make variations to it by changing where to throw or catch and so on...

Try 5-0-1 for example.. It's one of my favourites. Especially with all throws from the outside.

I'll try to get back to staff juggling this winter and work on something new.. maybe even vids..

Like that behind the back pass ! biggrin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Fenfire.. but you know that Tim, you were at UberEurope...

David (Y)'s video of Sebastian: The Art of Three Staff Juggling is both hilarious and disturbingly good. Particularly if you like blokes in skirts.

Couldn't find it on the internet though I did find this, from ....1947!!!

Yeah, so cutting edge we are wink ubblol

Give us another 60 years and we'll almost be up to baton rolleyes

*ducks Meg and runs*

Edit: Dave says he's trying to get this vid up on the internet...
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1161179365)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
I have had a 3 staff video planned for months (starring Seb, not me), but haven't had the time to actually shoot it. Once things get a bit more organised around here (its getting better - we actually have hot running water now), maybe I can kick Seb's ass and we will get on it.

Not a spinner!

240 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Fenfire.. but you know that Tim, you were at UberEurope...

David (Y)'s video of Sebastian: The Art of Three Staff Juggling is both hilarious and disturbingly good. Particularly if you like blokes in skirts.

Here it is
https://www.fenfire.glenneroo.org/Triple_Staff.mpg

enjoy biggrin

Not a spinner!

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
Juggling stile is the best:)
i think that to juggle 3 it's raccomanded to learn some 2 staff siteswap such:
-shower
-shower-up-piruette
-at least some duplex thorows
-Even Parallele duplex(watch uberpromo,with the guy who makes parallel duplex and piruette)
Well,and what about passing?
does anyone(except antti and Rhd)knows some videos abouit that?

Ciao

--Late biosas---
tired to watch videos,let's go juggling in the street.

imakokodemember
121 posts

Posted:
Hey guys biggrin
nothing to say but being happy to see all of you in the same thread biggrin

>> all is full of love <<

Kooothormember
129 posts

Posted:
 Written by: imakokode

Hey guys biggrin
nothing to say but being happy to see all of you in the same thread biggrin

If you want I can take a picture of you guys....

tongue

Kooothor , French Crew
~~~~
i'm in your kitchen, drinkin' your milk

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Hola..

Just thought of something sweet that prob won't happen 'cos everybody here are slackers. Atleast I am.

Anyway.. I'd love to make a staff juggling vid with all you guys and others in it. If you could send me one or two 15-20 second clips of the most hardcore staff juggling sequences you can come up with.. I could edit them into an amazing video. I got some nice new stuff for it and we can come up with something silly with Tommi also.

Upload them on your site for me to download or send on a cd. 10mb or less files can be sent to my hotmail..

Sound good to anyone?

Point your toes.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
sounds like a great idea anti

but unfortunately i can't juggle staffs redface

yet smile

hope you get some wicked footage

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

240 posts

Posted:
Yeh, I'm up for that.
Seb and I have a ridiculous new passing pattern
I guess we should train it so that it works ubblol

Not a spinner!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i'm clearly going to have to get strugnell juggling staffs.

ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'll join you rob wink I just need to make some small juggle sized staffs,
you'll have to teach strugz how to juggle well first ubblol you only need to teach me triple staff wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
but clearly to juggle 3 staffs, all you have to do is learn to throw one staff in all the different ways, then just add two more. cool

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I saw you attempting it in the L.A.B. 6 video (with 2, or 1 staff and a ball tongue), but I kept getting an ERROR ERROR message for some reason... confused shrug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I was doing 'straights' in that video, (rather than flats) Clearly I didn't know how to do it properly, cos I didn't add two more. Which is probably why you got the error message...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

but clearly to juggle 3 staffs, all you have to do is learn to throw one staff in all the different ways, then just add two more. cool

thx mcp

tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, now all I need are some more juggleable staffs and a videocamera...

Antti, do you use 1m staffs like Seb and co?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:

or 3 wink why be lazy? ubblol

I can juggle golf clubs...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

240 posts

Posted:

*grinz*

Not a spinner!

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while, but the cold weather has slowed down my progress on this trick frown

I call it 'logic' or 'perfect 3 staff cascade' and I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who can do it... ready... here comes the explanation:

When doing a three staff cascade, I've seen it done with 'foward' and 'backward' throws (is this correct terminology?) i.e. normal and reverse cascade, but to do these, you have to stop the staves in order to throw them back the other way (whether you're doing the Antti or French cascade this is true).

The thing that makes a staff different from a club is the beauty of its spin so purists (I'm looking at you Dave) would say that it's wrong to stop the staff in order to throw it back, SO, here's the 'perfect cascade':

(R= Right L= Left H=Hand)
RH: normal cascade throw
LH: normal cascade throw
RH: normal cascade throw
LH: (after catching 1st RH throw) reverse cascade throw
RH: reverse cascade throw
LH: reverse cascade throw
RH: normal cascade throw (This is identical to the first throw and so the sequence repeats ad infinitum)

As you can see, because each staff is being thrown alternately with a normal and reverse throw in the appropriate hand, its spin never changes direction thereby making it perfect or a logical progression which is why I like to call it 'logic.'

I'm sure people use the above sequence to transition from normal cascade to reverse (I think _Y_ showed it to me once), but I haven't seen anyone do it back to back so you're juggling 3 throws normal - 3 throws reverse - 3 throws normal etc.

So, who can do it? Seb? Antti? _Y_? And who's gonna post the first video to show how it looks with fire ! meditate

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
it would look very nice I think, the pattern would be very wide with staffs though to stop them clashing, or some VERY accurate throws would be needed.
what about columns?

2 outside staffs thrown together and the centr staff thrown at right angles... the 2 outside staffs would be continuous circles / spirals... could be done as double without the middle staff (would have to be SHORT staves of course)

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
If you look on COL 5 Antti does a version of the outer/inner cascade on fire, and its not an easy move! Sebastian has a slightly different variation of it, inner to outer with outer being these strange behind the head throws, and I don't recall this one being on video anywhere.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Cool, just have to get hold of the COL5 DVD now smile

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Mynci, when you say at right angles, do you mean that the two outside staffs are in the wallplane whilst the middle staff is thrown in front of the body (kind of in the buzzsaw plane) like a club?

Ooh, also, is anyone doing flats with a staff. I think they should be easier with staff than club because you can hold the CoG much easier.

Just thoughts.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
I think Seb from Fenfire is doing flats.

The way I do the outer/inner cascade is starting inners from left.. then right.. and for the 3rd inner from left I throw it under the right hand chopping and then then right outer and so on.. Always doing the same with the 3rd inner. This way I was able to get the rhytm much nicer. And I spin staffs back and to the front after catching from an outer throw.. But go straight into the outer throw when catching from an inner throw. So in away it must be offbeat or uneven rhytm but it goes smoothly. The behind the neck throws go easier to the right rhytm.

Hope this helps.

And I use 110cm staffs. I'm thinking of changing to 100cm staffs for the 3 staff juggling etc. For doubles it's 110 or 120cm. I like the 120's better for spinning but they are much harder to throw behind the back.

Point your toes.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Irinus

Mynci, when you say at right angles, do you mean that the two outside staffs are in the wallplane whilst the middle staff is thrown in front of the body (kind of in the buzzsaw plane) like a club?

probably, although my terminology is a bit poor. that can also be swapped, slightly (although you probably can't keep the circles going) by creating a sort of box.

2 at your sides and 1 in front of you. I need small staffs to practice this one I think and similtaneous thows / catches is a bit tricky to keep in plane due to wrist rotation.

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips. I agree that the rhythm is weird when you try going from inside to outside because of the spins.

You just reminded me (with the chop throw) that, if you can do chops (continuous, preferably throwing doubles) then it's quite easy to do with staffs smile

I'm not even going to try BTB throws with my 120s (too much head-hitting potential)!

Mynci, if you're trying to juggle your contact staffs it's gonna hurt (if memory serves). Btw. did you actually break your hand at play or was it just a bad bruise?

Page: ...