mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Oh, I'm just so happy about this one I just want to shout it from the rooftops.It's been bugging me for ages, but finally, after several weeks of no practice, and almost entirely by accident...I finally got the 3-beat weave!!!I know it may seem a little thing, but it's been on my list of things to learn for ages, and it's *never* worked out before. But on Friday I went out to play as the sun was shining, did all my usual practice, then took a forwards in-sync spin, pulled the arms in for a crossover, did something a bit weird and it kept on going. Thought "oh, hello? I wonder, what's that left hand doing?" over. under. out "ooh, hang on, I know what that might be. I wonder, how about the right hand?" over, un-clonk-ouch!.Start again, revel in the fact it works, again, count the right hand. over, under, out.But that's...!!!!!!revelation. After a couple of days it's now pretty reliable, vaguely smooth, and mostly safe. Can do about 20 cycles before the right wrist gets tired and I have to duck out of the way. It's been bugging me for ages, working on my own with no-one to compare notes with, not really knowing what to aim for, and I'm severely happy.So, next it's the turns. *always* batter myself trying the turns. But my faith is restored. It's just a matter of time and perseverance.mikeyB

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Heh, ain't that the truth. Nothing quite like the euphoria of learning new moves.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
I'm still pretty much a newbie and every move I learn involves alot of confusion, pain, bleeding lips, bruised eyes, sulks and temper tantrums - but when I pin it down.....! grin DEEP JOY! grin The next few days I feel kind of smug everytime I pull the move - in that warm "easy-peesy, hehe" sort of way. After that it's just one more move and I can hardly imagine why I couldn't do it straight away. Still, by then I'm beating myself up with some other "impossible" new move so my ego never really gets the chance to expand too much wink thank heavens!!Bruised but happyNoods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
you know what the best thing about you learning that mew move and the feeling you got from it..??It never goes away, you will always get that warm fuzzy feeling (with a little bit of "its about damn time") It only gets better. You are learning like i did. I realyy didnt have anyone to spin with, because my friends did the same three moves over and over. So to learn a new move, i had to create the damn thing.The funny part is, after i taught myself about four new moves, and could tie them all together, i was better than the people that taught me. Then they loved to watch me and "the moves no one does"...HAAHAHaathen i find this little gem of a site, and my never before seen moves that i came up with and was praised for....were explained in great detail on the site, and even had video captions of them as well...Buti am greatful..for my friends it was a phase, or a fad. Me (7 months later) have been cosidering moving into performing. I soon want to light up for the first time. Thats just a confidence issue. But i cant imagine the rush while doing my first flaming set, and the feeling after i complete it.It gives me the chills just imagining it..Man did i go off on a tangent...you see, it ust goes to show that rush never ends..Good job Mikeyb, and keep us posted on your progress.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Superman said: "So to learn a new move, i had to create the damn thing."I was really pleased when i found out that 'that thing i do over my head' was a real move called a Corkscrew.All the moves seem to start off as screw-ups while trying something else. It's great encouragement to keep pushing the boundaries.mikeyB

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
mikeyb, congrats!I just finally "figured out" how to some sort of turn..not even sure which it is..lol It seems as though when I'm practicing a trick, it seems like the hardest thing in the world.....until my hands accidentally go the 'wrong' way and the poi do the right thing..then I have an apiphanny(sp?) and suddenlly the move is so simple I don't understand why I couldn't figure it out before. =) I, as well, recently got the 3-beat weave. Now that I know how to turn, and CS, I'm hoping to learn the BTB soon...doesn't sound like an easy task though...------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-