Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > *UPDATED* Woodford Festival Circadia 2006

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
**** UPDATE **** UPDATE ****UPDATE****

bounce bounce2 bounce

Last night I went to the Program Launch for the 21st Woodford Festival and I am leaping about with glee bounce bounce2 bounce

2000 performers, 6 days, 15 venues of Circus, Cabaret, Burlesque, Dance, music, greenie stuff, lotsa lotsa comedy.

Magic site installations...loadsa street life.. an amazing film festival including the Australian Animation Festival and a whole series of Aeon Flux!!!

The music program is just incredibly diverse...blues, world, murri, hiphop etcetcetc... As long as it has a heart... ubblove

Names you might know this year: John Butler Trio, Lior, Ganga Giri, Xavier Rudd, Blue King Brown, Resin Dogs, Ash Grunwald, the Bird, the Herd... and mindblowers like That One Guy, Leo... Augh too many names to mention.

The whole program should be up on the website soon.

NO WORRIES about tickets. There are expanded camp grounds this year (that has been the limiting factor in the past). So get your ticket online, print it off and it will be NO PROBLEM to get in. There are guaranteed tickets at the gate this year but online is quicker and cheaper.

THERE ARE ALSO PLENTY OF VOLUNTEER PLACES STILL AVAILABLE

www.woodfordfolkfestival.com

Now to talk about our own special dedicated spinny/juggly/circus play venue sunny Circadia sunny with more ways to participate than you can shake a sh*tty stick at. All day workshops (everything from staff to stilts) free play space and toys to share!

sunny Professional performers, choreographers and actors working with you to create routines and minishows. Strut/spin your stuff at night at our indoor Cir-Cabaret Open Stage or outdoor FirePlace.

sunny A daily professional development forum on topics such as Fire Safety, International Marketing, How to Busk etc.

After midnight settle in for Chillcadia, with cool tunes and amazing visuals from our resident genius, Kyle McLean.

Any questions, feel free to PM or ask here... I've been on the Woodford organising group for about ten years now, so I probably know the answer better than those weird rumours that get around every year! wink

EDITED_BY: newgabe (1162084263)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
wow, gabe...!! uber-awesome... and close enough, I dont do mental arithmetic... I am a woodford virgin... finally being broken in, in a lil over a month...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

miestamember
101 posts

Posted:
ive only done a couple of woodfords.

i recommend bringing squirty bottles to cool down, or water guns...oooo i got an idea! (watchout woodfordites)

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Only been at two wonderful woodfords, one was enough to know that I never wanted to spend my new years away from this fantastic festival wink

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

JaiMember
52 posts

Posted:
Im a WoodFord Virgin too! I got an invite to work at ThreeWorlds store last year but turned it down because i didnt really want to go. But thats only because i didnt know anything about WoodFord.

Cant wait till this year. Everything is coming together, I was on the internet last nite and i saw flights to the Gold Coast from Melbourne for $179. I was sooo happy and will pick them up next pay day.

Well i cant wait to see everyone.

Peace.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
flying is definitely a better option that driving. you would need 3 days of driving to get there.

and with petrol costs for a 2000km each way trip - its probably about the same price as well to fly!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
YAY!! nice work, jai...! glad u`v found a way after your driving... indiscretions... tongue

TumbleHatBRONZE Member
journeyman
50 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

flying is definitely a better option that driving. you would need 3 days of driving to get there.

and with petrol costs for a 2000km each way trip - its probably about the same price as well to fly!

but the road trip experience far outweighs the cost of the petrol....either way woodford = WOOT!!!!

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Jai

I was on the internet last nite and i saw flights to the Gold Coast from Melbourne for $179. I was sooo happy and will pick them up next pay day.

Jai, you've lived on the GOld coast haven't you? So you know that the Gold Coast (Coolangatta) airport is around 2 hours drive from Woodford? (Woodford is an hour north of Brisbane. Nearest train station: Caboolture. Shuttle buses run from there to the site from Boxing Day)

If you aren't getting a lift it will be a bus/train/bus combo.. SO public transport costs and travel time from Gold Coast need to be factored in as well as the cost of the airtickets. smile

JaiMember
52 posts

Posted:
Ahh yeh, but i have to pick up my dads car from Tweed Heads.

I SO AGREE TumbleHat, this year WoodFord is going to be awesome! Im really excited.

Cant wait to see you all there. Its only a lil bit over a month away!
YAY!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK Well the next exciting news (apart from that Woodford is like 3 weeks away!!!) is that Matt Terry, yep the Wibbler himself, will be coming up to Sphercularise with us in Circadia! Onward and upward!

biggrin

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Well looks like Ant and i are coming after all biggrin bounce biggrin

he Changed his flights to be later so he could come to woodford with me and everything ubblove hnnnnnn

.:*dose a happy mushy lil wiggle dance*:.

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I start work again when woodfood starts . Looks like i miss out again oh well.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Elke: YAY hug bounce clap bounce

Puk: frown

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Aw...I hate missing Woodford...I was there in the Maleny days with Gabe (Imagine a 12 year old kid straight from the UK: "You're taking me to a FOLK FESTIVAL?!?!?!" ha ha). Have a super amazing time there to everyone who goes...it really is the best festival. Sigh...

biggrin

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Elke: YAY hug bounce clap bounce

Puk: frown

ditto

I`m *SO* excited...!! bounce biggrin bounce

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
It is now so close that in a month it will be all over!!!

3,492 posts

Posted:
awwww don't say that gabe! hug

but yeah... things pass like that and ya get all awwww ubblove frown ubblove

hehehe it's always the last night of the fest where ya stay up allll night just so you can try and suck out every last bit of festiveness you can before you have to go home... hnnnnnnn ubblove

hehehehe well i *used* to do that in my earlier years lol ubblol these days i've partied/worked so hard all week that i'm totally buggered by the end. that's why *this* year i'm just going to have fun and play! no working for this lil pixie! horrahhh!!!! what fun... it's been a while! bounce

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: .:* Moon Pixie *:.

*this* year i'm just going to have fun and play! no working for this lil pixie! horrahhh!!!! what fun... it's been a while! bounce

I suppose a contact acrylic workshop is out of the question? redface hug wink

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
If there is an acrylic workshop i shall be there without a doubt!

Was watching terry do his stuff at earthcore, starting with 1 and working his way up to 4 acrylics was captivating. Would love to learn even the basics :P

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ah yes well I am sure Terry will be lending his charms to the event.. he has already offered to workshops. There's just something special about a Pixie ubblove palm...
Perhaps we can just let her find a comfy spot she likes on the grass somewhere and sneak peeks at what she's up to...

3,492 posts

Posted:
redface hehe.... thanks for thinking of me... but i'm actually quite naff at teaching contact juggling.... I've never really thought about how to put it all into words ... and i feel like i'm still learning myself smile*:.

but for sure i'm up for some playing in the circadia space biggrin ...sounds like it'll be an amazing setup with wild and wonderful things going on this year ubbrollsmile

I keep getting those lil exited fizzles evey now and then! .:*:. it's SO close now! ...:* and those lil memory flashes of previous years ubblove

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
heh, pixie said naff...

ubblol

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
*Runs off to buy a contact ball*

Hmm wonder if it would make it from HoP in time...

I guess if it doesnt i can just buy one from gooble the day before i go and then when i get back from woodford I shall have a spare waiting in the mailbox biggrin hehe

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I think you will find that Gooble have a stall at Woodford.
Gooble in Bris you mean?
Or are you thinking of JuggleArt from Melbourne?
Anyway I have an acrylic I can loan you smile
And HoP are so wonderfully efficient at mailing things you probably would get it in time!

I went up to the Woodford site yesterday, it is amazing; the big structures are mostly up, the site is soooo beautiful. I stood on the Circadia space under the stars and heard echoes of all the laughing and playing that will be going on! YAY!!!!
Only two weeks to go!
And if these last weeks are anything to go by, it seems this year the weather will be with us...not stinkin hot like last year, and not wet either.

And we have an addition to our crew: Stevo Extremo (in the winning team of the ThreeWorlds FireComp).

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

I think you will find that Gooble have a stall at Woodford.

Gooble in Bris you mean?

Or are you thinking of JuggleArt from Melbourne?

Anyway I have an acrylic I can loan you smile

And HoP are so wonderfully efficient at mailing things you probably would get it in time!

I went up to the Woodford site yesterday, it is amazing; the big structures are mostly up, the site is soooo beautiful. I stood on the Circadia space under the stars and heard echoes of all the laughing and playing that will be going on! YAY!!!!

Only two weeks to go!

And if these last weeks are anything to go by, it seems this year the weather will be with us...not stinkin hot like last year, and not wet either.

And we have an addition to our crew: Stevo Extremo (in the winning team of the ThreeWorlds FireComp).

Thanks gabe smile I appreciate the offer for a loan of a contact ball, but i have fairly good trust from the lovely people at HoP that my order shall arrive in time. Well i hope it does since then i will also have my new glow poi and LED frisbee biggrin

And yep, meant gooble in brisbane. Haven't ordered from juggleart before but they do have some cool stuff. Was going to be going to gooble just before woodford anyway so that i know i have everything i will need for the week. Just like knowing that i already have everything i need, so im not having to rely on being able to buy anything at the actual festival.

Yay only a couple of weeks to go bounce bounce2
EDITED_BY: Basstones (1165972204)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I have had word that as well as general volunteer places still available, there are also some for the Fire Event, the finale spectacular that happens on the 1st Jan (NOT New Years Eve)

This is a large scale set piece theatrical event, not a fireshow... but this year they are including a brief fire spinning segment. Volunteers at the Festival work 5 hours a day, and the crew of the Fire Event often work even longer days throughout the Festival making structures, lanterns etc. Apparently people in the spinning segment will have daily rehearsals and other duties but not quite as large a daily committment as the general crew.

If you are interested, go onto the www.woodfordfolkfestival.com site and link through Get Involved/Volunteers/Festival Period/Special Skills/Fire Event then say that you want to be involved in the spinning segment. PM me if you want more info.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
A word on fuel at the Festival.

Public people are welcome to spin with our amazing crew in our FirePlace (safety supervised showcase on the street outside the venue). However we are asking people who spin to contribute odourless fuel: eg Firesol. It will be on sale at two stalls: Gooble Warming and Three Worlds, so it is reasonable to ask people this. In other words, no stinky kero.

So people... bring your own fuel if you want to be sure of having a good supply and lotsa spins. But not kero. We will be having a centralised dipping bucket (to eliminate tippy jars around the place) and spin off jars for poi...so we don't want stinky stuff.

see ya soon! biggrin

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Oh i dont use kero on my stuff wherever i can avoid it :P

Makes my car all stinky which is a real pain considering how often i have my stuff in my car lol. Will be using my glow stuff most of the time anway. Only fire toy im really using at the moment is my fire clubs, which im not going to be using much at woodford.

On that note, anyone interested in splitting the price of a 20L firesol drum?

Oh and gabe, i have a mate who looks like he will be applying for one of those volunteer fire positions hopefully. Loves his spinning so was ultra keen when i mentioned last night that they still had volunteer positions available. Any idea how many spots are left?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Last time I looked there were 5 positions left on the general Fire Event. Not sure how many for actual spinning. Your mate wrote to me just now and I have given him the details. Cheers!

wave

edited to change the number of places...
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1166427449)

3,492 posts

Posted:
biggrin just got our programe in the mail! bounce been reading through the back checking out who's there this year.... only like halfway through but i'm getting real exited again reading through it all ubbrollsmile and all the familiar names too! smile*:.

can't wait!

.:*wiggles*:.

Page: