Forums > Social Chat > Whats your favourite Sheep?

Login/Join to Participate

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Just wondering about this in my spare time. It seems I have too much of it...

What's everyones favourite sheep?

Personally mine is the little known, but incredibly versatile Hebridean. Why?? I hear you shout, or yawn...

Well, they're black. Doesn't show up the dirt aswell. You can see for yourself Here and Here.

They eat practically anything. In fact the poorer the grazing the better they seem to do.

They're little. I'm little. Makes it easier to turn them. And they come complete with handlebars

They look really scary when they have 4 horns.

Any one else care to comment hehe?

[ 06. March 2003, 22:28: Message edited by: Sir_Sheep ]

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
um......yeh...

i honestly cant think of anything to say....for the first time in a very long time...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Are there any pink sheep? If there are then they'd be my favourite

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Why not? You can get pink poodles...

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
My favourite sheep is the uhm well in german it would be the Vierhornschaf...cause it's got 4 horns obviously.
why because Cleopatra was one and i raised her;).

Morgane

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
SSSSooooooouuullllll sheep!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
My favourite sheep is the Navajo-Churro sheep.

Non-Https Image Link

Navajo-Churro sheep are descended from the Churra, an ancient Iberian breed. Although secondary to the Merino, the Churra (later corrupted to "Churro" by American frontiersmen) was prized by the Spanish for its remarkable hardiness, adaptability and fecundity. The Churra was the very first breed of domesticated sheep in the New World. Its importation to New Spain by the Spanish dates back to the 16th century where it was used to feed and clothe the armies of the conquistadors and Spanish settlers.

By the 17th century the Churro had become the mainstay of Spanish ranches and villages along the upper Rio Grande Valley. Native Indians acquired flocks of Churro for food and fiber through raids and trading. Within a century, herding and weaving had become a major economic asset for the Navajo. It was from Churro wool that the early Rio Grande, Pueblo, and Navajo textiles were woven -- a fleece admired by collectors for its luster, silky hand, variety of natural color and durability.

As early as 1789, the Spanish controlled the export of ewes from the provinces of New Mexico to maintain breeding stock. But in the 1850's thousands of Churro were trailed west to supply the California Gold Rush. Most of the remaining Churro of the Hispanic ranches were crossed with fine wool rams to supply the demand of garment wool caused by the increased population and the Civil War. Concurrently, in 1863, the U.S. Army decimated the Navajo flocks in retribution for continued Indian depredations. In the 1900's further "improvements" and stock reductions were imposed by U.S. agencies upon the Navajo flocks. True survivors were to be found only in isolated villages in Northern New Mexico and in remote canyons of the Navajo Indian Reservation.

In the 1970's several individuals began acquiring Churro phenotypes with the purpose of preserving the breed and revitalizing Navajo and Hispanic flocks. Criteria for the breed had been established from data collected for three decades (1936 - 1966) by the Southwestern Range and Sheep Breeding Laboratory at Fort Wingate, New Mexico. Several flocks have developed, and the Navajo Sheep Project has introduced cooperative breeding programs in some Navajo and Hispanic flocks.

These sheep with their long staple of protective top coat and soft undercoat are well suited to extremes of climate. Some rams have four fully developed horns, a trait shared by few other breeds of the world. The Navajo-Churro is highly resistant to disease, and although it responds to individual attention, it needs no pampering to survive and prosper. The ewes lamb easily and are fiercely protective. Twins and triplets are not uncommon. The flavor of the meat is uncomparably superior, with a surprisingly low fat content.

References:
Navajo-Churro Sheep Association, Box 94, Ojo Caliente, NM 87549.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I can see why thats your favourite sheep then!

Personally, I think all sheep were created equal...

Don't worry, be happy...

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I like the fluffy type. As long as they're fluffy and they don't eat me, I'm perfectly find with them.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I like the ones that float around in the sky on nice sunny days..........................Oh no, wait, there clouds
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
High Class Hippy No:1
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
yup, that's pretty much my extent of fondness one particular sheep over another too eh..Fluffy, good personality, yep..I was going to say something about rosemary and chops but I think I'll keep it to myself

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I'm part Scottish.
So any kind stuck in a fence is good.

Baah.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah PWB really goes nuts when I bleet..well...nevermind!

Okay Musashii, not to be crass but I'll say it.
I was thinking young, tender and juicy.
I was thinking lamb shanks. Once, only once, I had well made Haggis. Roast lamb with rosemary and mint jelly.

Sorry, I come from cow, horse, pig and emu (that's right emu) country. Sometimes there are goats...sheep are rare so...
Some of them are cute though.

[ 07. March 2003, 06:48: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
, so much for bein discreet..I thought since I had messed up the aquatic study thread with beer batter recipes, I wouldn't mess with this one

hehe, but when I moved to Seattle my next door neighbor was a sous chef for a newly opened restaraunt. And I got to be the guineau pig..The Haggis he made, omg But me too, that was once and only once

ps - I like it when girls bleat too , but I won't say when or how

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

My favourite sheep is the big merino. It is made of fibreglass, and so it is a little bit hard to shear. However it doesn't attract flies, or at least no more than any other giant fibreglass sculpture (lets just discount the big prawn at the moment).

It is dinkum-di true blue, and one of the few things to do on the drive from Sydney to Canberra (except stopping off at vineyards which is no fun cos you're driving)

[ 07. March 2003, 11:11: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
https://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/HAMP/

This is my favorite sheep.I like the coloring and stuff.I had to grade sheep, cattle, and pigs before slaughter and after slaughter for my Meat/Carcass Evaluation class.Dio and everybody else teases me about the animals I had to grade and then slaughter...(actually none of us students slaughtered the animals we just had to watch and learn how it was done...Pretty much learned how they were cared for at birth and until they arrived on your dinner table).

One day while we were grading live cattle there was a pen behind us with sheep who were on the 24hr fasting thing right before slaughter.That is right before any animal is slaughtered it is witheld of feed but given plenty of H20 so when it's harvested the process goes more smoothly having not to deal with extra stuff in the stomach and such.Extra food tends to throw off the calculations on the yields, plus H20 helps with the esanguination process(bleeding of the animal)....Anywayz back on to subject...*ahem* I was leaning on the corral and some sheep came over and were trying to nibble on my jacket! I felt sorry for them and stuff so while I was sposed to be grading, I and a few other people were petting them and keeping them from making our coats into lunch!When I told my friends they jokingly starting baawing(sp) "Tiiiiiffaaany"(that's my real name by the way...only with not so many i's and a's)

My friend got me a pair of blue socks with lil white sheep on em for my B-day last yr! I wonder what she'll get me this year?Seeing that my B-day is March 10!!! I got to get her something too because her's was March 5.Maybe I'll find her alil sheepy thing!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Kinudin - that is (imho) the fuuniest thing I've ever seen you write on HoP. Just thought you might be interested. I giggled a lot.

Pele - is it not sheepist to see them only as food? Are you forgetting their many other qualities like.....erm, wool providers and er, grass keeper shorterers.

And all that other stuff, that's really important, that sheeps do.

[ 07. March 2003, 15:34: Message edited by: C@ntus ]

Meh

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
My favorite sheep is this little guy, some of you might recognise him. Here's a clue he's made of play dough.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Shawn? Actually he's made of a substance called plastolene.

I'd tell you more facts about him but FNF has all my Aardman Animations ref material at the mo.

Meh

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I agree, hebrideans are the best

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
My favourite sheep is Harold. He usually sits on top of the hill!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
do lambs count?

i like this one:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
ahahahaha!

U gotta bounce song..

what movie was that from... ummm *thinks* shrek 2?

its probably between shaun and the one coleman is showing...

im a sucker for cute-yet-not-real things shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
it called boundin' and is by a guy called 'bud luckey'.

it was shown before the incredibles in cinemas and is on the bonus disc of the dvd smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
The sheep on the old and unknown playstation 1 game called "Sheep"
uh...cant get the pic on here, but search ps1 sheep and see how cute they are
BaAaAa...Peace out

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Dressed in BlackBRONZE Member
A Fire Inside
191 posts

Posted:
hmm i dont have a preferance to any one sheep. am i sheepist?

::: I LiKe pLeAsUrE sPiKeD wItH pAiN - MuSiC iS mY aErOpLaNe :::

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by:

The sheep on the old and unknown playstation 1 game called "Sheep"

heh, i interviewed for a games programming job last year at the company who made sheep wink

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
There were four breeds of sheep on that game if I remember, called things like Pastural, Neo and...dang, I can't remember the others frown

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
there's a pc playable demo if you search on the net for it