Page:
jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Hey all smile

Today I had my first cervical smear, after putting it off for years because I was frightened redface rolleyes

As you all know cervical smear tests are important to make sure our women's bits are ticking over nicely and to make sure we're all in tip top shape.

It's estimated that screening for cervical cancer using the smear test saves up to 6,000 lives a year in the UK!

So I have been really frightened about having my smear test and thinking "oh no!! they're going to be poking about in my lady's place!"

But I was worrying over nothing, the nurse was lovely, explained what the procedure was like, told me what she was going to do etc.

I went behind the curtain, took my trousers and knickers off and got onto the bed. She then put a sheet over me from my tummy to my thighs, and got me to rest one leg against the wall and the other against her.

I didn't feel rude or embarrassed. smile She told me to take some deep breaths and said that if I relaxed my muscles then it'd be much easier.
So I just took some deep breaths and relaxed, I was quite comfy actually!
ubblol

Then she talked me through what she was doing, said she was putting the speculum in- "whoooop, it's in!" hooray then said she was gonna open it up "oooh, it's open!" hooray, then that she was gonna take a sample of cells, and that was it!

Phew! No problem! biggrin

I wish I'd been brave enough to have it done ages ago, but now I know that it's nothing to worry about.

So ladies, if you haven't already, get yourself down the docs, get your knickers off and get checked! it only takes a minute or two!

hug xxx hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There's a great sequence in the movie "Wit" about this...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Wrapped_in_KnotsSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
I applaud everyone that goes, and I urge all others to go get it done.

I never had a pap smear done, and when I finally decided to listen to my body and go get tested turns out I had cervical cancer and had to have a hysterectomy. That was just this August gone. Luckily for me it didn't spread anywhere else so I don't have to go through chemo and radiation and I'm happy for that.

I met a friend's mother today who got diagnosed too late for surgery to help and has been undergoing chemo since 1997. It went into remission but now its back and she has to go through all that trauma and being sick again, not to mention how very expensive it is.

Having an operation is no fun, being 33 and not being able to have any more children if I wanted to is no fun, sex without a cervix is still fun but really not the same. Its been almost three months and my insides still hurt, I get tired easily and the poi seem attracted to my scar and that really really hurts.

Save yourselves the trouble and go get tested

/gets off of soapbox and goes back to happy happy self

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
Booked! re-read this thread and picked the phone straight up to make an appointment!!

yay for me!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Wrapped_in_knots, I'm so sorry to hear that, but thankyou so much for posting! It highlights just how important getting a smear is!
And way to go Toobie!! Excellent News!! bounce

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Wrapped_in_KnotsSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
This is actually my pet project now, getting people I know to go have their pap smears done.

I should add that I actually have not had a pap smear done yet, when the doctor looked in and saw the growth and that it was bleeding he decided to do a biopsy of it at once.

Let me tell you that a biopsy hurts like a ....well it hurts quite a lot and even though he said it would feel like a pinch it DIDN'T and I bled for a few days afterwards. I know you guys won't think the momentary discomfort of a pap smear is anything compared to getting a piece of you cut off ick ick ick!

Now I have to go get smears done every three months for the first year, every six months for the second year and then once a year after that to ensure that I don't have a recurrence within the next five years. Needless to say that if it comes back I will have to have chemo adn radiation.

Yay Toobie and I hope to hear that many more of you have decided to go.

Thanks for starting this thread Jo

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
...I just made an appointment to get my first smear test.

it's going to be on Monday morning. Needless to say I'm just the teeniest bit nervous! eek

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
No need to be nervous Rouge. Just turn up, explain it's your first and ask them to talk you through it as they do it. You'll be fine. It's no more difficult than having a throat swab.

hug
Well done for booking!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ive never had a throat swab either! eek

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BansheeCat

Yeah, I always have had some sympathy for the poor doctors and nurses out there! hug I can't imagine getting up some day when I feel a bit pissy or under the weather, and oh joy, having to go do that... My doctor and I share a slightly twisted humour, so we usually make sarcastic comments at each other and laugh to lighten the experience.

And then there are my patients who are massively obese and who have...shall we say... "different standards of hygeine."

Non-Https Image Link

Oh, the aroma!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Well done Rouge!! hug

you'll be fine, it's easy peasy! honestly! it's all over really quickly!

I'm so proud!! yay!! bounce

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
What, do we also need a throat swap?!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I Loved the doc who said to me "Your tall I will use the big speculum.
My secong obstetrician asked me what my shoe size was to know my pelvis size. ubblol ubblol

My PAP is due next month, I am determined to relax this time.

Well done peeps fpr a great thread

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Tomorrow morning.....

eek

I want to ask mum if it will all be ok...but I dont have that kind of relationship with her frown

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Tomorrow morning.....

eek

I want to ask mum if it will all be ok...but I dont have that kind of relationship with her frown

You will be fine hug

I went for my male equivalent check two years ago and i checked out fine. its confronting, but its so much better once you're through with it smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
well it's over now. and it was horrible. I still feel icky and absolutely horrible knowing I'm going to have to go through it again every 2 years for almost the rest of my life.

Need hugs.

Also got an STD test while I was at it; get all the icky procedures out of the way at once.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
clap clap clap

And you lived thru it!!! Proud of you, little one!

hug hug hug
EDITED_BY: fyrespirit (1162784165)

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
hug hug2 hug

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Well done Rouge!
hug

I'm sorry it was horrible hug hopefully the next one will be nicer! biggrin

Page: