Forums > Social Chat > Please don't drink and drive.

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
https://www.hot.ee/dontdrink/

Might as well give fair warning that you don't want to click this link until you've had your morning coffee...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Yeah Ive seen that. Pretty strong message.

I wonder what kind of effect the tv ads will have on children.

Kid see's this girl on an ad. Understands that drinking and driving caused it and see's mommy drink a glass of wine and drive to the store 5 hours latter. As far as the kid knows mommy is going to come back looking like that girl.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think little kids will figure it out as they get older. I'm more interested in getting the message across to teens and adults.

-Mike

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Poor girl.. at least she still has a fighting spirit.. it must take a lot of guts to stand up in the media and say ' look at me.. look what could happen to you 'I think I'd just wither away and hide..

Very strong message.. lets just hope it saves lives.. and saves people from having to endure the pain that Jacquiline has endured.

I for one will never drink and drive.. or get into a car with someone who has.. I made the mistake once - a 'friend' came to pick me up.. I didn't know that he was drunk.. I don't ever get into his car.. rather dip into savings and get a taxi - Life is precious...

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im not saying don't run the ads. I am just speculating about how it will freak out kids.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sick, stuff the morning coffee, i was eating my dinner when i was looking through those images.

good message though.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I too have experienced what drunk driving is capable of. Just this past November my family was involved in a wreck with a drunk driver.It was my dad,mom,one of my lil bros Joseph who were in my dad's '94 F350 diesel and were coming back from one of my other bro's (Kaleb) football game.It was about 10pm or so and my family was driving from Graham to Wichita Falls at 70mph(that's the speed limit here in TX), when a drunk in a '99 model Ford pickup pulled across the highway and proceeded to make a U-turn in the middle of the highway.My dad saw what was about to happen and so steered into oncoming traffic to try and avoid the other truck.It didn't work and the drunk hit my mom's side of the truck(passenger side).My dad ended up goin into the ditch on the side of the highway and had to use his strength to keep our truck from flipping.Keep in mind that during that time of the year it was still mild so my dad and Joseph(who was sitting directly behind my dad)had their windows down.My mom left hers up.When the actual impact happened Joseph who was in the back seat was pitched out the side of the window far enough to where he could look in through my dad's driver side window! He was then jerked back into the truck by his seat belt.When the truck came to a stop my dad asked if everybody was ok and then proceeded to check on the other driver.When my dad walked over to the other truck there was a strong smell of alcohol being emitted(sp) from the truck way before my dad ever initially reached it! The guy looked to be in his 20's and seemed fine.Meanwhile back at my truck Joseph managed to climb out the window and then went over to my mom's side and tried to open her door.That was where the drunk at hit so the door was crumpled in.After a while of jerking on the door Joseph managed to pry it open.A passerby stoped to give aid and called 911.Ambulance came and took my mom back to Graham's hospital.She complained of pain in her neck and lower abdomen.The drunk was arrested and carted off to the Graham jail.When I found out about it I was in shock.My mom suffered from a severe whip-lash,dislocated vertebrae in the neck, and pain in her lower stomach.Keep in mind that she had just had a hysterectomy(removal of the uterus and other reproductive organs I do believe) back in April and was still recovering from it.My dad suffered from bruised ribs and a dislocated vertebrae in the neck.Joseph suffered only a hurt shoulder.They all had to go see a chiropractor several times a week.Our truck was totaled.The whole passenger side was skinned of some of its paint.The running boards on the bottom edges were shoved completely underneath the vehicle.The frame was twisted and the right front tire was twisted over on itself like a figure 8.The funny thing tho was the fact that since the damage started up at the front of our truck the brush-guard that we had on there was not hurt.The lights and stuff located behind the brush-guard were broken and cracked.We found out later that the drunk was already ticketed for 3 previous DWI(Driving While Intoxicated)and that he had missed his turn before he reached the highway and when he pulled across the highway he made a U-turn to go back where he came from to reach the road he was looking for.Dumbarse!Right now my family is in the process of suing(sp) the drunk.That stuff is still in the process of the courts so who knows when my family will be compensated for the wreck.It has put a strain on my family financially too.Our truck lacked just 2more months and then it would of been completely paid for!!!!!! Ugh stuff like this always seems to happen to our family at the most difficult times.My grandmother had just died a couple months before the wreck and so most of our money was going towards paying for funeral expenses and getting her a headstone.Plus I'm in college so that also put a strain on me because I have only so much money to budget and after the wreck it's been even tougher.Ok I know I kinda got off subject here but I had to rant alil.

I believe that people should not drive after a night of drinking and if they do choose to drink to do it responsibly.Yes most people will agree with me about the joke "Drunk driving is a sport in Texas".This is somewhat true of what I've seen on the news and such.Whenever friends I know choose to they ALWAYS make sure there is a designated driver and if there is not they stay put and don't get out on the roads.This is not only for their safety but for other people's as well. I sure do hope people get the message soon that drinking alcoholic beverages and operating motorized vehicles don't mix. Well I go for now laterz!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
in manitoba canada (I think) they passed a law which requires all people who have a DUI conviction to install a special ignition system on their cars. This ignition system requires you to blow into it like a breathalyzer. If you fail the car won't start.

Ive been saying for awhile even before they passed this law that they should install these ignitions on all cars. I always meet opposition by people who have the attitude that if they aren't guilty they shouldn't have to be inconvinienced by blowing into their ignition everytime they want to go for a drive. I find it disturbing that people value convinience over preventing drunk driving.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My Uncle was killed in a drunk driving accident, with 2 other people several years ago. I became a strong advocate against it in my school years because of that, and truely, I can say, these tactics sadly don't ususally work. I hate to play the part of the cynic but...

1. The people who feel for this girl generally aren't the ones who drink and drive anyway.

2. People who are too drunk to drive do not think about commercials when they get into their cars. THey think about how they are alright to drive.

3. The arrogant ones who do know they do it and think it is alright will say the photo's are doctored, because in truth, they do look it. It is a really extreme measure, and I know it is real, but in this day and age it is waaaay too easy to fabricate stuff to play on the consumer emotions. We are becomming very calloused to such things because of it.

4. My son won't think of it in terms of drunk driving as he is not old enough to think or worry of such things, nor should he. That is my job. This will do one of two things to him. a) Make him have nightmares or b) Knowing my son, he will ask the typical why questions to understand it, ask about how she feels, say it is sad and then tell me she looks like an alien composite.

I think it will cause nightmare issues with alot of kids so I hope parents are responsible enough to talk about it with thier kids.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Aurora - i'm glad your family was ok!

Pele - I'm sorry to hear that about your uncle.

That is a really strong message! That girl is VERY brave. But also strong willed.

Alice

[ 06. March 2003, 08:02: Message edited by: Pink Poi ]

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Thank you Pink Poi I am too!

Pele sorry to hear about your uncle.

Astar I too have heard of those types of ignition starters and I believe that they would be good to use.It would just take awhile for them to be on every vehicle and there will always be oppostion to them by a few people.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Statistics are showing these sort of ad campaigns do work.

It doesn't make some universal change in the hearts of everyone who see's them but over time they do make a diffrence. Drunk driving offenses are going down, smokeing offenses are going down and people wear seat belts more then ever.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Astar, I don't know where you read the statistics but the recent report released as a MADD/SADD conjunction came back that DUI's are going up and that media campaigns are not working. The last time a anti-drinking or drug campaign effected the statistics in a major way was the Nancy Reagan "Say No To Drugs" administration, which also had a strong policy against drunk driving. I spoke at forums during that time.

People wear their seatbelts out of habit that is established when sober. And actually, alot of people who drink and drive don't wear seatbelts. They survive because of the advanced state of relaxation they are in.

Oh gods, I forgot to explain why this is so passionate for me (other than the fact that I am just a passionate person), my Uncle WAS the drunk driver. His blood alcohol was double the norm, and he had been stoned as well. There was a 32 yo man in the car with him and a 10 yo boy. No, don't feel sorry for me on that scope. My family went through alot because of that stupidity, and some of my members still do. I loved him for who he was but have no pity for what happened to him, but for the passengers.

Wanted to also add that I am all for an instant breathalizer, but the ones currently in use are not instant. Last report was that it takes about 3-5 minutes to go. The issue with that to us non-drinker types is that in 0 degree weather with children, or 100 degree heat with children in power-everything cars, that few minutes can mean alot. If they can come up with faster ones...install away I say..because I love my child and don't want to see anything like this happen to him.

[ 06. March 2003, 12:15: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
My god.
That is powerful. She's a brave girl, I wish I had her strength of will.
If that doesn't make people stop and think, i don't know what will.
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
High Class Hippy No:1
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Pele there has been a big chance since the 50's and 60's when the whole movement started.

Just because drunk driving is riseing now doesn't mean it hasn't gone down when you look at in the long term.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Out of curiousity, these drink-test-ignition-thingies may be all well and good, but surely, you can just get someone to breathe into it for you.
True, the other person would have to be very dumb, but I bet there are some people who would "help their mates out"...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Durbs:
Out of curiousity, these drink-test-ignition-thingies may be all well and good, but surely, you can just get someone to breathe into it for you.
True, the other person would have to be very dumb, but I bet there are some people who would "help their mates out"...

I agree but from my experience as a bartender, the ones who would be drunk enough to need to use them are also the ones who think they are fine to drive, you know? I dunno. I do agree though that people would prolly argue about who is more sober to blow into it. Actually, that might be a humorous arguement to see, from a distance.

I just think that with the new laws being enacted in NYS about drunk driving having a designated is the best idea. It helps to when bars give the desigs free soda's. We used to.

This wouldn't help the instances where the impairing comes from simply under the influence, not necessarily alcohol though.

Astar, the rates of alcoholism and drug abuse are on the rise over the past 60 years according to the last century statistics in America (taken from a study done through Cornell University in cooperation with the FDA). This actually means that with the increase in the actual number and volume of driver's and overall usage of impairing substances, there are more instances of DUI. Which is why these campaigns are becomming more graphic. If it was on the decline, then these campaigns wouldn't need to have such visually and emotionally strong figure heads.

Aster, I am sorry for your experience. I am grateful that you are able to be here with us!

Pele

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Bravo on the ad.

I know my students drink and I know they drive. We've had 2 major student auto accidents in 2 years, one was fatal. We also have parents buying kegs for parties. Parents would rather buy alcohol and have the kids get drunk in the neigborhood then head into the city and do "God knows what".

I often say to my students "I admire you guys because you guys sometimes have to be the parents" and it's true. It's usually a freind that talks someone out of driving drunk. Not a parent or an ad. Targeting kids to help their friends not drive drunk seems effective. I think the ad helps drive home that drunk driving is real and drunk driving is dangerous. Hopefully someone in the situation is sober enough to stop a freind from driving.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Bravo to that wonderful girl.

I have been in a car with a drunk driver and still remember the screams as the car was weaving all over the road and my brother trying to escape out the window when the car halted. That was about 18 -20 years ago.

People have become more aware of not drinking and driving but often because they are scared the police will catch them driving over the limit.

While ads like this are disturbing, I hope they stop and make people think about the hurt they can cause to others and not just the consequences for themselves.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
all i can say is OMG... that poor girl! she had so much obviously going for her... and then some dumbass decided to drink drive... and shes the one who ended up with her life damaged. and she was soooo pretty!!! and now... well... we dont need to comment.

i'm glad that all my friends are sensible enough not to drink drive. we always have at least 2 ppl sober, mainly to look after the drunks, but then to drive us home.

but i guess- you cant see the other drunks on the roads.

with that dui thingy-ma-bob i think they should be installed in all cars too. and yes they can get the sober ppl to bow into it- but if those sober ppl are their friends- they would just drive them home anyway... wouldnt they? unless the drunk found a sober person randomly- but then again- they shouldnt be dumb enough to say "yeah sure i'll blow into your car so u can drive home".

all teenagers & adults need to be shown this site... knock some sence into them.

i wanna know what keeps this girl going when she isnt doing it just to show the world what can happen. she has got some serious power. if it were me... i would of killed my self already... if not that... hidden myself away from the rest of the world.

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
So someone might get someone else to blow into the ignition so they can drive.

That is reason to throw out the whole idea? I really am amazed by this sort of reasoning. Guess what there is very few 100% solutions out there. If a breathalyzer ignition is only a 30% solution isn't that enough?

Yes do whatever you can do to encourage designated drivers, overhaul the laws and approach it from multiple angles.

Ok so the ignition system is slow. Put some money into developing a much faster system. There is definatly money out there for something like this, and im guessing if you came up with a workable system it would save on the medical costs (In canada we have healthcare so drunk driving costs everyone a lot of money through taxes) and it would also save on the legal costs of constantly putting DUI related cases through both criminal and civil court.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine had an idea for a test that could be installed into cars driven by people with a DUI conviction. Here's how it works:

The gas needle floats to center and then deviates to one side. You turn the wheel to bring it back to center. This goes on for 20 seconds. If you allow the needle to fall beyond a certain limit, you fail and the car won't start.

Basically, the test tests your ability to react to a stimulus. Whether you are drunk, stoned, or stupid, if you can't pass the test, you shouldn't be driving a car. But the government and the auto companies didn't like his idea for whatever reason (this friend is an automotive engineer). I still think it's a good idea. It also drives home the point of how impaired you are.

-Mike

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
You should have to play and win 3 games of pong on a little LED display before the car starts.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The Breathalizer versus built-into car ignition tests.

The breathalizer can be added to a pre-exsisting car, with hassle of course, but it can.

Your friends idea, Mike, while good, would cost alot of money and it wouldn't be purchased. Let's face it. People are buying cars today with automatic and power everything because we are lazy. A breathalizer takes alot less effort.
And since there are so many used cars for sale out there, and it would only be on new cars, do you think that drinkers would really purchase a car to test them? The state gov here would rather take the license away (which only stops them from driving if they get caught). The breathalizer could be added to any car AND be part of the annual inspection process for all vehicles.

Realisitcally, I don't see either one being released in a masse scale anytime soon, though both are great ideas.

And my thoughts are to Sparkie...I worry alot less about the driver of my car and alot more about other drivers. I know what I am doing. I am alert and aware and only press the limits I feel comfortable pressing. I have no garuntee that someone else is doing the same.

Pele