Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > So I think I just might be the first on this one.

Login/Join to Participate

AKIL12480SILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
So I love Capoeira and breaking and I love poi. I started thing about some of the fundamentals of breaking and the momentum needed to keep rotation. Then I thought about what could be integrated with it. I came up with and idea to work on. A month later I might be the first to incorporate flips and breaking into my spinning sessions. Anybody seen that yet? Anybody want me to video it and post it?

Expect nothing of me. I'm nothing you'd expect.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Cool! I'd love to see a vid of that. biggrin

I used to do gymnastics, and I had the idea a few months back for a specific move, possibly done on Poweriser stilts (which I still need to buy). The idea is this:

Do a corkscrew (same direction with the poi like a horizontal windmill). As the poi are on the way downwards, do a flip with a half twist so you land facing the other way. As you're going over the top (so you're feet are up and you're head is down), the poi do a rotation underneath you and come up the other way. As you land, you bring the poi back up into a corkscrew in the opposite direction. Then go back the other way. Something like a vertical weave turn... eek

I've been through the movement really slowly, and I think in theory it could work, although it would need practise, probably on a trampoline.

I bet there are loads of acro/spinning combinations like this, I reckon it would be a really interesting area to explore...

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Videos of flips with poi?

Naw... I'm far to into finding you tube vids of people washing dishes.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Sounds like some interesting concepts, if you can pls make videos, it would be awesome to see biggrin

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sambo Flux

Do a corkscrew (same direction with the poi like a horizontal windmill). As the poi are on the way downwards, do a flip with a half twist so you land facing the other way. As you're going over the top (so you're feet are up and you're head is down), the poi do a rotation underneath you and come up the other way. As you land, you bring the poi back up into a corkscrew in the opposite direction. Then go back the other way. Something like a vertical weave turn..

Dude!!! ive just had a little play with this on a tramp, and it is such a sweet idea!

i cant come up spinning, but the rotation is there, just need to time it a bit later to stop them wrapping round my arm as i come up, i soooo want to nail this one!

thanx for sharing!

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sketch

ive just had a little play with this on a tramp, and it is such a sweet idea!

Was it this one?

Non-Https Image Link

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol tongue

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
one of my friends has ben breaking for a few years and i do capoeira. He uses alot of breaking in his spinning and i try to break out with butterfly kicks and au batido's. looks very cool.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sketch

Dude!!! ive just had a little play with this on a tramp, and it is such a sweet idea!
i cant come up spinning, but the rotation is there, just need to time it a bit later to stop them wrapping round my arm as i come up, i soooo want to nail this one!
thanx for sharing!

Yeah! Most people I tell this too think I'm either a mentalist or over-ambitious, it's cool to hear someone's taking the idea and running with it.... I haven't had a chance to try it yet, I need to find me a trampoline! bounce

I'd think the key to it would be in trying to keep the poi as flat (stationary) in the vertical plane as possible. This would mean trying to put the centre of rotation of your body during the somersault just abouve your head, so when you're upside down the top of your head id maybe a foot or so above where your head was when you started. The poi rotate in between these two points. Of course this would mean you'd have to do a very high somersault, which means it's be quite a slow rotation, which means the poi would rotate quite slowly. In theory.

And I haven't thought of a way to get into it easily. confused

As I said, I haven't tried it myself, so I might be talking complete bollox. wink

*runs off looking for trampoline* bounce

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

djboiSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
I Can flip like crazzy, i'll try it sometime...but i'll make sure my friend has a toel ready.
i dont think it should be that hard...i've fliped with torches before but never with poi and never on video...
i'll take some pics of it when i try it.
djboi