Forums > Social Discussion > Institute of Customer Service

Login/Join to Participate

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Total posts: 1502
Posted:A question mainly going out to our bretheren and sisteren who are gainfully employed in the UK of GB (and NI).

My glorious employer is offering me (and everyone else under his umbrage) the chance to work for a professional Customer Service qualification given by the Institute of Customer Service.

Seems like an easy bit of CV-enhancing paper to get. But I've never heard of the ICS before this, and their website looks a bit... well, self-promoting and management newspeak really.

So my question to you all: has anyone else here ever heard of the ICS before this little post?

Ta all!

Delete Topic

spinningstarlet
spinningstarlet

enthusiast
Total posts: 271
Posted:I Work in helpdesk for insurance companies, and we are always getting told about the "need to improve customer services". not hear of this tho. maybe i shold forward the website to my manager!!

ubblol

Delete

doctor_fandango
doctor_fandango

co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
Total posts: 761
Posted:hm never heard of them on this side of the water anyways... have you ever seen "the game" with michael douglas... i'd be careful of clowns in your flat and tellys talking to you.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:yeah, why not!

Incidentally, this week is supposed to be Customer Service Week across the whole UK.

Not that I heard about it other than in the email from my employer plugging this ICS award...

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted: Written by: doctor_fandango

hm never heard of them on this side of the water anyways... have you ever seen "the game" with michael douglas... i'd be careful of clowns in your flat and tellys talking to you.

Good gravy!

I was chatting to someone last night about this very film!
My flatmate's a bit of a clown sometimes. And we don't have a telly. We do have a biga$$ projector for watching movies though, I'll definitely get The Fear if that wall starts talking to me! wink

Delete

spinningstarlet
spinningstarlet

enthusiast
Posted:not only that but i just lost now too frown

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted: Written by: toobie

not only that but i just lost now too frown

GET THAT NONSENSE OUTTA MY THREAD!!!

wink

Delete

spinningstarlet
spinningstarlet

enthusiast
Posted:ubbcrying soreeeeee.....

back on topic, keep this updated if you decide to do the customer service thing, i'm propper curious and if it is any good i might look into doing it myself.... Can't hurrt surely?!

Delete

Skulduggery
Skulduggery

Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
Total posts: 8428
Posted:We were asked if we wished to do an NVQ in customer care where I used to work (read 'asked if we wished' as 'made'). I have heard of the ICS before but know little about them. Tell your boss to let you do the NVQ if thats what he want's, because at least NVQ are recognised in most places even if they are not rated all that highly as a qualification. It's a piece or p!ss to pass too as long as you have common sense and have no desire to kill every human on the planet.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted: Written by: Skulduggery

Tell your boss to let you do the NVQ if thats what he want's,

Well the award in question ain't an NVQ, and my job isn't specifically customer relation based. But I'm just wondering if I get it here, will it stand me in good stead later. Given that I'm never going to work in a call centre or in retail...

Boss doesn't seem to think much of it. But he's an engineer born and bred, and I'm very much an interloper in this field.... I don't know. Too pi$$ed off to think or type straight at the moment.

I will consider further when I'm more calm.

Written by: Skulduggery

have no desire to kill every human on the planet.

um.... considering how damn mad2 spank mad2 I am right now, maybe I'd best steer clear of any customers for a while!

Delete

Skulduggery
Skulduggery

Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
Total posts: 8428
Posted:The way I found out that NVQ although recognised by most people weren't rated all that highly was when I was told I was doing one I phoned around some of the big retail stores and asked to speak to personnel. Once connected I asked them about what jobs they had going and then mentioned the NVQ as a qualification when they started asking about me. You could try that with the ICS... at least you'll find out if any of the major stores, that lets face it want people that are good at customer care, even recognise it and how highly they rate it. If they haven't ever heard of it, then I'd give it a miss.

I understand that you don't plan on going to work in retail or call centres, but if it's a qualification that's recognised and free for you to do, then isn't it worth doing. If it's not recognised it's not worth the time it will take you to do. You'd be suprized who wants employees that have customer care qualifications. Most local and national Government jobs look favorably on them, as do large industries. It's the big buzz now days to have your staff trained in customer care whatever your business is.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Delete

jo_rhymes
jo_rhymes

Momma Bear
Total posts: 4525
Posted:everyone's heard of ICS! it's that advert where the couple are on the couch watching the TV, and the girls like "I wonder if i can get accounting skills studying at home?" and the woman in the telly says "IC- yes you can!"
it's so lame. God, I watch too much tv.

"IC yes you do"

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete