Forums > Social Chat > Trivial questions that bug you at 3am when you can't sleep....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:

Last night I was laying awake at 3am snuggled under my duvet waiting for sleep to come, all in vain. Why? Because my head was full of stupid questions. Ones that normally might just flick through your head and go away, but for some reason at 3am they just keep on nagging at you. So this morning I decided to try and find out the answers to some of them. Google helped out on a few but some I still didn't get answers that seemed right to me, or any answer at all, so I thought you lot might like to help out with the answers.

Feel free to ask some of your own 3am niggling questions too.

1. Where does the water come from that is in the taps in public toilets that have the "This is not drinking water" sign above them, when the tap next to them has the sign "Drinking Water"? Why don't all the taps have the same water supply?

2. Is there a reason keys J,F & 5 on a keyboard of computers/phones have a raised bump? I used to think it was solely to aid touch typists and blind people to tell where their fingers are on the keys but now I'm not so sure because on my mobile instead of a raised bump you can feel on the 5 key there is just a little light.... That would be of no help to someone blind surely.

3. Where do Crane flies (daddy longlegs) hide all year? In the autumn you see squillions of them, but for the rest of the year none. Is it because they are in a larval state over winter, spring and summer? But that would be silly because that adults live on nectar and surely there is more nectar around in summer when there are more flowers about.

4.Why do remote controls for vcr/dvd/cd/md players have an eject bitton on them? Surely if you are ejecting the disc/tape you'll have to walk up to the player to take it out and put another one in so you can press the button on the player.

5. Are washable nappies really more enviromentally friendly that disposable. All the electricity used in washing them and all the detergents it takes to get them clean must have some impact on the enviroment.

6. How does the internet really work? Could it ever just be switched off?

Ok that's all the ones I can remember for now. All attemps to answer any or all of these will be gratefully received (even the stupid ones ubblol )

hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
but... surely then it cannot be all that clean to wash in either....?

*self confesed clean freak*

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
ohy it is, the water is still filtered into the mains and sluice valve right outside the house.
plus
the tank is sealed and protected from contaminants
plus
the water is taken above the bottom of the tank to avoid solids in the water
plus
the water dosent clean you, it only rinses soap away, soap cleans you and thats clean.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
*yay* thats cool then. feel much better.

smile

761 posts

Posted:
 Written by: toobie

you dont wash your hands with bleach and brillo pads or anything? do ya??

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
 Written by: doctor_fandango

nooooooooo! i'm not that bad! i just wash my hands lots. and often.

actually i have a question similar to that of the nappys one.

the hand drier in our bathroom at work says that it is more environmentally friendly than paper towles cutting down on trees used etc etc. But what about the power it uses?!?!

i would suggest towels - like material ones, but germs breed like mad in those, so not a good idea.

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
are there other elements which we have not discovered, because they may be on other planets?

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:

the hand drier in our bathroom at work says that it is more environmentally friendly than paper towles cutting down on trees used etc etc. But what about the power it uses?!?!

i would suggest towels - like material ones, but germs breed like mad in those, so not a good idea.

i read an article about this> paper towels v hand dryers! here!

back to the ship in a bottle, i know they have to do the thing with the string and the sails, but surely you can't build the rest of it in a bottle?? i'm sure there is some other way of getting them in, unless you build it mostly, then split it into pieces that fit the neck and join them in the bottle, then raise the sails...

i think the match thing has to do with getting an egg through the neck of a bottle...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NOn

i read an article about this> paper towels v hand dryers! here!

Decisions Decisions.... but the paper towels can be re-cyled too....

*sigh*

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm with the guy at the end of the article. I wipe them on my jeans and carry on my merry wway without using either

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
 Written by: poig

are there other elements which we have not discovered, because they may be on other planets?

ummmm......surely if the elements havent been discovered then we would not know if they exist?! it is a very big possibility though

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

761 posts

Posted:
i often wondered abt the expanse of our knowlege and what lies beyond what we dont know yet.

my primary scvhool teacher planted the seed of this thought when i was under his wonderful tutorage.

"think about this room... whats outside it.."

the school

"and outside that?"

Dublin

outside that

Ireland

went on for a while and we eventually came to the universe and nobody had an answer.. except "theres nothing after the edge of the universe

. "how do you know theres nothing else? maybe theres something there, we just cant see it yet" realy got me thinking

brought up the point of the pinicle of scientific knowlege issues aswell, like in 1491 the general concensus of the weastern world was that world was flat
EDITED_BY: doctor_fandango (1159970630)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
6) yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_backbone

There are only a few very phat connections across oceans, destroy those, some satelites, and you've disconnected continents from each other.

Further destruction of the main phone exchanges and the country internal backbones would render the internet down to city wide probably. But it'd take a hella ton of work.

The only thing that could really turn the internet 'off' is a nuclear world war.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

761 posts

Posted:
neuclear war...destruction of backbones...!!! omg , mcp's a terrorist!!! get her!!!

Page: