Forums > Social Chat > Short film made with a Canon 20D DSLR (stills camera)

Login/Join to Participate

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
https://patrykrebisz.com/stills/FINAL_movie.html

Some of you may have watched this already, but I thought it was a pretty decent effort at a short film made with a digital SLR.

The Canon 20D in continuous drive mode does 5 shots per second, and that's 20-25 frames short of the usual frame rate for a movie camera, but the effect was pulled off pretty well.

With my own camera, also a 20D, I've dabbled with continuous drive too:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

but never really contemplated putting a movie together.

Don't you just love it when someone takes a concept and runs with it? Makes me like---> biggrin

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
I really like this! Nice one! smile

A friend of mine has made music videos in the past using this technique, I really love it! biggrin

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
mm.. agreed. Music videos? Any online?

LostSurferSILVER Member
278 posts

Posted:
not at the moment, but should be in the very future. i'll PM you when they are ready!

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
interesting.... how big is your largest chipcard? How many frames can you get on one single chip, or is it possible to link the camera to a laptop/ harddrive?

If so, there should be no prob to film an entire sequence and fuse them to a movie.

If not this way, you may try to shoot in sequences and cut them together in a way that nobody notices you were using one chip at a time (different angles, scenes)...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Very cool, i know one artist who made some short videos of her son with a stills camera. More cut up than that though, but very effective, and had really well suited sound effects to drive it. They were very cute videos smile but then they featured a 3 year old, so it's allowable. I think there is really a lot of different effects you could create with it though just by changing frame rates etc. If you can capture as many images as possible in the first place, then you can take some out and slow it down, change the length of frames for different effects... all sorts... could also be interesting to have more than one camera focused on the same scene, the images could always be aligned in photoshop or something....

oh god... which reminds me of the 3 hours i spent actually doing that for a short film made with photos... although i photos were over a delayed period of time as a building was being put up, we only 1 per day, but the effect was still very nice...

Alas, alack... i can't find any of the aforementioned videos online for linkage... and the one we made, i have on DVD, but presently i don't have time to reencode that and stick it up, will try and remember to post linkage if i do though smile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

LostSurferSILVER Member
278 posts

Posted:
Don't know if any of you UK lot saw it, but on C5 last night on the Gadget Show, one of the presented rigged up his mobile phone to act like a CCTV camera taking a shot every 120 seconds. He then had it automicatlly upload these shot to his flickR site in realtime so you could follow his day.

The info is online here Gadget Show and it has the links to his flickR site too

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
If you shoot a whole movie in one sequence, it'd probably kill the shutter. You might be able to go indefinitely if you're shooting small jpegs, but on large size or raw format you've only got a set number of shots you can do in a single burst because of buffer size. I'm not quite sure if you can shoot more if it was tethered to a computer, but shooting directly to a harddrive is possible (but also there's the mobility issue of actually getting the shots with a laptop connected to your camera)..

Currently, you can get up to 8gb on a single CF card, but they're introducing new flash memory architecture which allows capacities towards 64gb I think? Won't be out for a while though.

Another interesting link:
https://www.wombokforest.com.au/

My ex sculpture teacher's doing a feature length animation- shooting each frame with a Nikon D70!!