PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Want to book a club spinning tour?
NYC is pretty much off the list.
So is Chicago and all of Rhode Island.
Take Boston off now too.

https://www.boston.com/dailynews/062/region/Menino_announces_pyrotechnics_%3A.shtml

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
You know the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about the RI club fire was "please don't let it be from a fire performer".

When I found out it was a pyrotechnics disaster,I felt a little relieved but still already knew it was gonna just ravage the fire scene here in the States.Ya know in that little club,that was actually constructed of wood , I would have been hesitant about spinning a short fire staff in there let alone trying to set off pyro.

If I ever got the chance to meet the band,their management, or the owners of the Station I would have to shake their hands and thank them so much for ruining it for everyone.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
The Trattoria Il Panino and Club in the financial district was closed down on Wednesday after inspectors found blocked exits, a broken fire escape and the sprinkler system shut off. Club Mantra was shut down Saturday, when fire officials found 400 people inside the club which had the capacity of 226.
sorry but that scare the hell out of me.
most nightclubs try and cover things up to get their licenses, i've seen some nasty stuff at gatecrasher in my 3 something years there. but what can you do hey?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I agree PK (can I still call you that? ).
I believe those clubs should be closed down. I think that awareness in clubs is a good thing. I feel, however, that this resticitve paranoia is going waaaaaaay too far over the edge. Reading through what happened in history has come to prove this is not an everyday occurrance. I still think in a few months, this will all blow back over and everything will be back to it's usual legal ambiguity in many areas. Creating new laws only means people will have to work harder for no money to enforce them. We have seen how well that happens in the past!

It's all so frustrating.

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i may be very much anti government but i do believe that certain laws are passed for very good reasons, and public safty bills are one of them, if only the licensing officials did more spot checks as well as the fire brigade and drug squads, then club safty could in whole be run more efficiently.
however it is such a shame to see how stories like these can afect us for stupid idiotic club employees that cant even review their safty regulations and set up a staging area to such simple layed out regulations.
like most of you know i have worked within the nightclub industry for 4 years now and pretty much know it inside out from ordering stock, management, bottling up, glass colecting, bar work, promotions, production, cleaning i have pretty much gained the knowledge that most wouldnt know if they worked in a club. situations like these are so easy to avoid, just by looking at guidlins set out and should be provided for at all times in any nightclub managers office by law. all i can add to this is, dumb twats.
but then media adds by blowing the whole situation out of all proportions.
i just hope there is any kind of justice to the families of the ones that trajically passed away.
i wouldnt want that on my head.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I worked in a club for 3 years as well. The owners were an ex-cop and a volunteer fireman. You wouldn't believe the crap they could get away with because they had "connections". I fully believe that if city governments didn't charge for every damn breath you take then there would be alot more abiding.

For example, to do the routine checks in many cities of venues, the venue gets charged a fee...EVERYTIME. So if the inspector decides to show up once a month, the club gets billed once a month. It is really crazy, since that portion is supposed to be supported by the local taxes and such. Then to nickel and dime places/people to death for a permit for this and a permit for that.
I understand inspections and am all for them. But when you are a salaried official already, don't charge twice to do you job!
I understand the dangers that come with owning a business, any business. However, in Buffalo, NY you have to pay the city so that you can pay someone to install speakers, then you have to pay a permit fee to use them. Want accoustic live music with no real danger? Pay for that permit. Want to serve alcohol? Permit. Want to serve food? Permit. Want to have certain lighting or decorations? Permit. You need indoor plumbing. Permit. Want certain flooring? Permit. And that was for a coffee house, not a dance club! It took this coffee house over a year and over $10,000 in permit fees to open. It was really insane. And the owners kept playing by the rules. With a start up business it is hard to pay out that much when you are not even garunteed the return, and clubs/coffe houses/etc. are really novelty and prone to the whims of the masses.

Electronics should be set up a certain way sure. So should plumbing, food, drinks...tralalala....
I think that what needs to be done is a bi-annual inspection to make certain that everything is up to code. That to set up a business should have larger, more encompassing, less vague and idiotic permits. But we know that will never happen.

And we poor little performers get caught in the cross fire. We are not pyrotechnics and so we will still fall into the cracks on these laws, but we will have to still fight for the right to perform because of them.

Pele

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
pele it may not be a everyday occurance but you don't have to look very far to see instances of deaths in clubs.

Lets see. Rhode island. Chicago (peper spray used to break up a fight and stempede kills people because the doors all opened inward). That incident with puff daddy. All of these happened in pretty much one year.

Now if you look at the long history of stampedes killing people due to insufficient exists and over crowding it is a very common thing. Look at all the trampleing deaths that have happened in soccer stadiums either because of riots or panic.

Soccer stadiums learned their lesson partially through media attention. Maybe it's time american clubs learn their lesson. I don't think the media is going overboard at all.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ONE REASON WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER DO FIRE IN OR NEAR AN ENTRANCE OR EXIT...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i cant believe that you need to pay for permits for every knitty gritty thing to be installed, and for a coffee shop? that sucks.
it is different here in the UK though and permits are not really needed, though public entertainment, public liability and buildings insurances are the esentials though you do get strict inspections from the city or county councils, and also from the police and the fire brigade, these all coexist to get public entertainment licenses.
any kind of instalation has to be conducted by qualified technicians, and are generally members of country wide organisations with specific standards and guidelines.
strange how things work differently in different countries. allways good to know these things my brain is overloading recently.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Note to self: Move to England.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC...want to share a flat?